Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone,
I've made the decision to pick up another 9mm. I'm torn between the Smith and Wesson Sigma 9mm and the Ruger SR9. Both get great reviews. A friend of mine has the Ruger and loves it, a cop friend of mine carries the SW on duty and swears by it also. Any input on either of those? Suggestions on another make/model?
Looking to max out at the $400-450 range

Thanks!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Ruger would be my choice. Nothing special, just like their guns. Planing on buying a SR9C as soon as I can afford it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I always buy Ruger because it is all American and also many years ago, Smith and Wesson caved to the Clinton administration over gun control. look it up, 1.6 million hits on a search :smith and wesson caves to clinton" here is the NRA synopsis. SMITH & WESSON BETRAYAL
That factor is a wash in light of Bill Rugers politics as regards firearms.

As far as revolvers go , I've got more Rugers than anything else. At this juncture I only have two Smiths left , a model 27 in 3 inch and a pet highly modified Model 24 with a 3 and a 1/4.

In general I've found the Ruger revolvers to be much more rugged than Smiths , especially for the handloader prone to running very hot magnum loads through a given sidearm.

I thoroughly and completely detest the Model 29 , which of course wilts and weeps at handloads that are everyday walk in the park for the Rugers , be they Redhawk or Blackhawk.

And you will note that both my N frames are of earlier manufacture , present " quality " in Smiths isn't remotely what it used to be.The glory days are long gone.

And don't even get me started on what utter and complete J U N K some of the J-frame and K-frame offerings are.

·
Registered
159 Posts
The only Smith I have is an older NYC Transit Authority 38…. stainless steel, 4” heavy barrel and spurless hammer. It’s a nice clean indestructible revolver, but a little heavy for a 38. The rest are Colts and Rugers. The Colts are well finished. Some of the Rugers have more course milling marks on them, but you can’t beat their reliability for the price.

I had a S&W alloy framed 22 semi, but it was crap. My son has a M&P-15 rifle and it has issues. I don’t think I’d buy another S&W any time soon.

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
The only Smith I have is an older NYC Transit Authority 38…. stainless steel, 4" heavy barrel and spurless hammer. It's a nice clean indestructible revolver, but a little heavy for a 38. The rest are Colts and Rugers. The Colts are well finished. Some of the Rugers have more course milling marks on them, but you can't beat their reliability for the price.

I had a S&W alloy framed 22 semi, but it was crap. My son has a M&P-15 rifle and it has issues. I don't think I'd buy another S&W any time soon.
You know what I would like to try? That Taurus Judge with some 45 long. I bet that would be a useful gun

·
Registered
159 Posts
45LC is a nice round if you’re reloading too. You can go a lot of directions with it. I had one worked up for my 7½” Ruger Blackhawk that pushed a 250gr hollow point out at right around 980fps… a real punk’n-buster.

A Charter Arms Bulldog 44 mag is interesting too (as a close up game-changer) with a choice of shooting 44 spl or mag’s. There’s got to be a whole bunch of promising loads for that piece as well.

·
Registered
207 Posts
.44 special or .357 mag. Never in .44 mag , Charter would have had to build a whole new pistol. And take it from me *really* hot loads in either .44 special or .357 mag will produce significant recoil , and I'm not recoil sensitive.

For a .357 snubbie I've gone to the SP101 , but I've still got two Bulldog Pugs in .44 special and they're unlikely to leave , but then I have an affinity for wheelguns.I've also got a cut to 4 inch Bulldog that is purposed towards lower 48 packpacking when weight is a factor i.e. when I really don't want to drag a Redhawk or Blackhawk along with me.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I favor wheel guns as well. SP101 is my standard backpacking carry (always on my belt and never in the pack). I have a bandolero cross-draw rig for my Blackhawk. It’s surprisingly comfortable and convenient (albeit a little warm) even with a pack on. There’s something about sporting an honest hot-loaded hand-canon when in the for-real outback that’s mildly comforting. Spare cartridges suck up a little space though.

I stand corrected on the Bulldog 44 mag reference. I appreciate being set straight... hate disseminating bogus info.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I favor wheel guns as well. SP101 is my standard backpacking carry (always on my belt and never in the pack). I have a bandolero cross-draw rig for my Blackhawk. It's surprisingly comfortable and convenient (albeit a little warm) even with a pack on. There's something about sporting an honest hot-loaded hand-canon when in the for-real outback that's mildly comforting. Spare cartridges suck up a little space though.

I stand corrected on the Bulldog 44 mag reference. I appreciate being set straight... hate disseminating bogus info.
No offense meant on that. As regards crossdraw , it's my customary carry , and something like a 7.5 Redhawk or Blackhawk carries a lot easier in the bandolero type rigs than in anything else , true cross draw I use for 4 inch and under , along with the 4 5/8s Blackhawk.

And sometimes a hand cannon is equally comforting in some of the socalled " campgrounds " in our National Parks what with some of the shenanigans that go on.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
i have 2 rugers and 3 smith and wesson... and some others... but for a war horse i stay with beretta fs92, its my 1st choice. but you gotta ride your own ride and pick which works for you!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a ruger sr9c and cant be happier but havent ever shot a s&w. Also have shot a ruger gp100 and love it that will be my next purchase.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Glock

Reactions: punch

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
havent shot the m&p? thats blasphemy! you should. its a sweet shot. i have the 9 and 40. i trained holster yesterday with the m&p and it was good.

certainly different than the beretta/galco combo because of the galco positioning. the m&p is growing on me. but ill always call my beretta "good morning, beautiful" and look forward to my goodmorning, beautiful day. fap! fap! fap! fap!

my kids tease me and say im like that lord of the rings character... "my precious"

·
Registered
296 Posts
Ruger LC9 with lazer max and the sr9c. . . Love them both

I'm looking st buying the Taurus Judge public defender with the 3 inch shells for an ankle gun that baby is so sweet!

·
Registered
303 Posts
With the budget of $450 the Ruger would be the choice. The SR9 is a nice gun. I imagine the Smith is too but they are pricier in my area. I just picked up a Ruger SR22 for plinking and practicing with cheap ammo. If the SR9 is as nice as the SR22 you will be pleased.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
ohhh dang love the sr22. im giving them for stocking stuffers. i love mine and i just know the children will love thiers! and quit loving mine! lol

1 - 20 of 36 Posts