Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Survival W/O an AK

I'm a lever gun addict and don't feel the need to own an AR. Nothing against em, just like using what I'm good with.

These are Big Bore rifles that can be used on any wild game in the world. Now I don't have elephants in the back pasture but I like knowing that I can tackle anything I need to. I also own other guns, just no AK's.

1895gunner

·
Registered
60 Posts
My stable includes some fine Marlins too. 39 in .22 LR which can't be beat for a .22 in my view. Don't recall cost.
Then my straight grip 30-30 carbine dead on for running game. $125 a long while ago.
A .35 which I wanted for a long time and finally found one for $225 a couple years ago.
Then the 45-70 which with the .35 has taken no game yet.
My trusty 99 Savage in .300 Savage comes up like I was born with it.
Each to his own , hitting the target means more than making noise in the long run.
I gave my sons both .303 Enfields a while back. Great round and at $100 or less they were a deal. I shot them better than my HK 91. So the 91 went and was replaced with a whirl pool bath tub. It gets used a lot more than the 91 did.
Everything has a purpose. We all have wants and needs. Spend your money wisely and enjoy the time you have to bond with family at the range.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I dont think you need to worry about getting AR or AK. You have an impressive collection of level guns. It should take care of business when SHTF
I only have one lonely Marlin Model 30AS 30-30...........

·
Registered
45 Posts
TO EACH HIS OWN, I DON'T OWN ANY LEVER GUNS, BUT i DO HAVE, I FEEL THESE WILL FILL MY NEEDS?:

Maddi Egyptian made Copy of Russian AK-47 in 7.62X39

Remmington 870 Express POlice Model Riot/HD Shotgun in 12GA with 20" barrel and 7 shot tube and side saddle carrier

Rock River Lower on a DSA 16 Barrel AR-15 in 223, sports a M-4 Buttstock System, 3X9 BEC SCPE
as well as Silent sling

Gamo, .177 "Hunter Model, 1000 Fps and Match 2 stage adjustable trigger

Marlin Papoose, 22LR 7 shot Semi-auto rifle,

BARNETT CS-150 COUMPOUND CROSS BOW AND BOLTS/4 POWER SCOPE

ENFIELD #1 MK 4 SPORTER IN 303 BRITISH, A FLEA MARKET AQUISITION, HAS POTENTIAL

·
Administrator
15,444 Posts
I like lever rifles too. And other Old West type guns - single action revolvers, single shot rifles and shotguns, SXS double shotguns.
I do not own an AR, closest I came was the Colt M16A1 Uncle Sam gave me for my all expense paid trip to The Land Of Enchantment.
My lever rifles are a Henry 22 rimfire, a Winchester 94 in 30-30, and a Marlin 336 Texan (straight grip) in 30-30.
My 45-70 is a New England Firearms Handi Rifle.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I have previously owned several levers but my father is like 1895gunner and loves them... and whenever I come across one, he convinces me to trade him. Someday, I might just stand up to him... but darn it, I get some really awesome trade deals. :)

Reactions: 1895gunner

·
Administrator
15,444 Posts
The lever action rifle was the original assault rifle, starting back in the Civil War days with the Henry rifle and the Spencer Carbine.
It will still get the job done today.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nothing wrong with a levergun for range and hunting use, but for a fight sorry but I'll keep my AK. There's a reason they're no longer used for fighting. I used to run leverguns solely myself until I had both of them break, on the range thank god. My AK has never bobbled once.

·
Registered
9,221 Posts
I'm looking to get a lever gun in .357 it would be nice to have a long gun that share the same caliber ammo with one of my favorite wheel guns.
Go with the marlin in 357. I have one. have had trouble repairing the Winchesters in the past.

I also own a marlin 39a and two winchester 94's made in 1951 in 30/30.

FOR SHTF YOU NEED A SEMI-AUTO. AK OR AN AR WILL DO.

AK'S are a good option for limited budget, and they are reliable.

·
Registered
99 Posts
So, I was at the indoor gun Range that also has is a small gun dealer shop this weekend (shooting of course) and I saw in the gun case a lever action gun that was only maybe 2ft long? I think it was called a Maris leg? (SP) It was in 45acp. Any experience with this? The place was small, low light, gun was on the bottom shelf and it was busy with ppl every where so I didn't want to tie up the sales staff as it looked like they were doin some major business.

Any experience with this? Do they make this in other cals? like 9mm?

Edit; did some research, Mares leg. No 9mm. Still nice and on my list and ahead of an AR I think.

·
Registered
207 Posts
So, I was at the indoor gun Range that also has is a small gun dealer shop this weekend (shooting of course) and I saw in the gun case a lever action gun that was only maybe 2ft long? I think it was called a Maris leg? (SP) It was in 45acp. Any experience with this? The place was small, low light, gun was on the bottom shelf and it was busy with ppl every where so I didn't want to tie up the sales staff as it looked like they were doin some major business.

Any experience with this? Do they make this in other cals? like 9mm?

Edit; did some research, Mares leg. No 9mm. Still nice and on my list and ahead of an AR I think.
The Mares Leg is another gimmick gun. The Marlin 1895 Guide Gun in .45-70 has been my go to for bear defense for many years , the 550 grain Jae-Bak Young Craters over 44-45 grains of H4895 consistenly turn up well over 1500 fps out of an 18.5 and are quite effective on the big bears in a DLP scenario.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Nothing bad about lever guns for hunting, but they do have a few drawbacks for defense,
They usually have a tube magazine which requires rounded bullets because the head of one bullet is up against the primer of another, which reduces the ballistic performance greatly, a 30-30 with a 150 gr bullet has an initial velocity greater than a 150 gr 7.62x39 but after 100 ft the 7.62x39 has a greater velocity.
Lever action is much more difficult to use when laying down on the ground.
Reloading is slower than bolt or magazine rifles.
There are reasons why no major army fielded them since 1900.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.