Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Survival pens

5K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  Rigged for Quiet 
#1 ·
I decided to buy a S&W survival/tactical pen for my get home/vehicle bag. It arrived today and it's a very well made pen. I think (hope) it'll fit into the scheme of my EDC or my get home bag.

s&w survival tactical pen - Bing Images

My question is, do you think survival/tactical pens are useful to the prepper.survivalist? or are they more of a Military, Law Enforcement, Search and Rescue type item?

Discussion starter · #6 ·
Angus,
I agree they all will quit working at some time or other. Even a pencil can only be sharpened so many times.

I like benchmarks idea of using the fisher space pen cartridge. They will write reliably about anywhere and even under the harshest conditions. I still have and carry a space pen I bought in 1994 and I'm on my third cartridge. It looks pretty salty, missing a lot of finish and sporting dents and dings but it still writes like a champ.

FISHER SPACE PEN Co. CONTACT US

My main concern with the S&W Survival Tactical pen is that I don't know how well the ink cartridge will hold up...If there is a weak link I suspect that would be it, otherwise it's a heavy duty pen with some very good features.

Discussion starter · #11 · (Edited)
Yes. The object is to have a bag as light as possible--yet carry necessities. A solid fixed blade knife will break glass just fine & I'm sure everyone plans
on carrying one. Worry about running out of ink? This is a get home bag--not a suitcase for a 6 month cruise
Why carry four different items when you can carry one quality item that has four functions...seems if weight is the issue then a pen that writes, breaks glass starts fire and can double as a kubotan would be lighter to carry than four different items and every bit as useful.

Discussion starter · #15 · (Edited)
The discussion started as "stuff for a get home bag". Everyone is now defending the "pen" as useful for something to carry on their person.
I mentioned both EDC (every day carry) and get home bag.

By reading the posts it seems that carrying one as an EDC item is prefered over having one in the get home bag item. Which makes sense, if it were a situation of carrying a concealed firearm, having a tactical pen in the bag would be an option for those places concealed carry is not allowed. Swap the gun out for the pen...or simply EDC the pen and secure the gun when entering such places.

I attended a very painful Kubotan course, and know just how very useful a kubotan is as a defensive tool. I also work at a place that does not allow firearms on the property, and I use a pen throughout the day to sign off on paperwork.

In the past I have dealt with situations involving theft, trespassing and out of control psycho aholes...situations that have at times required a call to the police to resolve. So far I've been lucky and not been physically assaulted...

As it stands now I think the pen I have will go onto the GHB and I'll get another for EDC, I think one like this;

http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/images/swpenmp2brz_1_600.jpg

or like this;

http://images.monstermarketplace.co...cal-pen-military-and-police-black-600x451.jpg

Discussion starter · #17 ·
It's been 6 or 7 months since I started this thread. I have been carrying a tactical pen since and thought it would be interesting to post some observations. First the 4 in 1 survival pen went away as a gift.

I went with this pen:
Smith and Wesson SWPENMP2BR M and P 2nd Generation Tactical Pen, Brown - Amazon.com

I have carried it clipped in the corner of my pants pocket along the seam for 6 months or so. It has held up well, some of the anodizing has worn off but all in I'm pleased with the performance of this pen. My only kick is that from time to time I catch the exposed clip and it bends enough to loose it's grip on the top of my pocket and the pen winds up in the bottom of my pocket.

This wouldn't happen if I carried it in a shirt pocket. Yet many shirts don't have a pocket are tees or are simply not suited to carrying a pen. As an EDC item its pants pocket carry simply because of the shirt issue.

Over all it's worked well and will accept the fisher space pen refills.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.