Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know everyone has their own opinion on the best, however what is your go-to blade? I've been trying to pick the best blade for me.
I like the Cold-Steel SRK, Gerber LMFII ASEK, SOG Creed.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
My main is my Benchmade Nimravus. It's an older version combo edge when they still made them with G10 handle sides. Now they use aluminum and I honestly don't like the feel of it. I wrapped mine in 550 cord though for a nicer grip. No reason it couldn't be done on the aluminum handles ones. I've had a lot of knives over the years and still on the search for the best for me. I've had/have some great quality knives like TOPS, Ontario's, Kbar's, Bark River's, Spyderco's, Benchmade's, Sharade's, Buck's, Cold Steel's, but still haven't found the one knife to beat all knives for me. I'm still looking and will buy another somewhere down the road here. I prefer a smaller fixed blade as a main survival knife. Around 5 inches in a combo edge which is the best for me in that aspect atleast as it works the most universally for cutting branches and vines for building shelter, cleaning game, cutting material with precision and is still a good defensive/offensive size. The Nimravus excels at all of that, but it needs to stay to that also as the blade isn't very thick. Everything is a give and take and I carry a machete (Cold Steel Latin) for heavier wood chopping work building shelter and batoning. I also carry folders though with my Spyderco Manix being my main survival folder. It is pretty thick actually and can be quite useful for batoning.

140SBK[large].jpg

sp95gps.jpg

·
Registered
126 Posts
Since you asked...(this is from a little review I made of my knife on a different forum)...

Everyone has a different idea of what a survival knife is. And while I have several knives, for my go-to survival blade I wanted something that could be carried on the belt and fill the gap between a big chopper and a small bushcraft knife; as close to a "do all" knife as I could get. Enter the Fallkniven A1.

Hailing from Sweden, it is their army's official survival knife and for good reason. The blade is stout, the handle feels very ergonomic and very grippy, and the edge came absolutely wicked sharp. The fact that it is made of VG-10 (a very high quality stainless steel instead of a high-carbon steel) was a huge plus for me as I don't want to have to worry about rust in a long-term survival situation. It has a full tang (very important for overall dependability in a knife) and the tang actually protrudes out from the bottom of the handle just slightly for hammering/smashing duties. I also like how the spine of the A1 is squared off instead of rounded because it throws sparks out from a firesteel like no other. Seems like the Swedish Army thought of everything when designing this thing.

Now, you have the option of getting a leather or a Zytel sheath when you buy this knife. I opted for the Zytel sheath instead of the wide, thick leather one and here's why: I found that a Maxpedition pistol magazine pouch fits perfectly around it. I've always been a firm believer in having a multi-tool with you at all times and this setup ensures that I will always have my knife, a multi-tool (in this case a Victorinox Swisstool) and a firesteel on my person even if I get separated from all my other gear. I also fitted a mini Photon light with some paracord as well.

I must warn you, the Fallkniven A1 is not an inexpensive option, but you really can feel the superior quality and craftmanship just by handling this thing. Plus, for an essential piece of gear (of which I strongly believe a knife is) and for something that I may have to depend heavily upon, I wanted the highest quality that I could personally afford. Anyway, hope I didn't bore anyone with this review. On with the photos....

·
Registered
128 Posts
ESEE knives. They make all kinds of great knives. Very heavy duty stuff with super thick blades and super carbon steel. These things take a huge beating.

This is the ESEE 4 but they make larger/smaller versions, machete's, all types
ESEE-4.jpg

·
Registered
257 Posts
I only have a Ka-Bar, some Cold Steel's, and a Gerber or two. Pretty much whatever I can afford lol I'd like to save up some for a really nice survival blade, I love the sound of that Fallkniven A1, maybe as a birthday present for myself!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Ok, so we all know that Bear Grylls is a big, fat, phony. However, the people at Gerber have never done me wrong. The Bear Grylls Ultimate Survival knife could keep even Bear Grylls alive in the wild. The weight is perfect (11.2 oz.), 4.8" blade. It has a diamond sharpener, a pommel for hammering, emergency whistle for those times when it's best to be found, high carbon steel that absolutely refuses to dull no matter how hard I try, and a great fire starter.

I've used this thing to split wood, clean chickens, build fires and get me out of just about every bind I've been in since I had it. I even ran off some burglars that were getting into the cars next door. I AM the blade guy. I've always carried several knives everywhere I go. When I'm in the woods now I just take my big Gerber. It could even take the place of my SOG axe if necessary.

In summary, yes it's cheesy as hell to go with the Bear Grylls Ultimate Survival knife. But the guy's a star and got the backing of one of the best companies in the business and the knife is an amazing addition to any collection. If I had to pick just one knife to be stuck with that'd be it.

Here's the moron pushing this wonderful item.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Fuzzee, good choice on the Nimravus. I've looked at those many times but I too didn't like the aluminum handles. Good call going with a paracord wrap though. Would love to see photos of it.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Fuzzee, good choice on the Nimravus. I've looked at those many times but I too didn't like the aluminum handles. Good call going with a paracord wrap though. Would love to see photos of it.
I had the time, so here ya go. Wrapped for use, not for prettiness. Just looped and tightened systematically around the handle and sheath. Which will also be there if I need some for use in shtf. I thought about redoing it with OD Green 550, but haven't yet.

·
Registered
14 Posts
ESEE knives. They make all kinds of great knives. Very heavy duty stuff with super thick blades and super carbon steel. These things take a huge beating.

This is the ESEE 4 but they make larger/smaller versions, machete's, all types
View attachment 914
I have an ESEE izula as a camping/hiking knife. I have probably 20 or more from benchmade, CRKT, SOG, Buck and gerber. When i start looking for a true "do all" fixed blade, ESEE is getting the nod, the quality is heads above the rest of my collection.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I've carried a knife of one type or another on me since I was in grade school, and back then, just about every boy carried a knife as a "tool" all the time! So you can guess how old I am! Now, kids can't even take a plastic knife in their lunch boxes without the authorities panicing! So much for the "Nanny State". Anyway, my current EDC knife is a Spyderco Endura with the combo blade. I also carry a Spyderco Delica in my offside pocket on occasion. I have a Marine Corps Kabar in one of my BOBs, along with a Leatherman multitool and a Buck folder. There are a lot of good knives out their at a variety of price points. Just like with guns, a knife is a personal choice. Different strokes for different folks.

·
Registered
231 Posts
It really is good to see so many folks in here with knives that they can actually use. For a lot of years all I saw were those long foot long "survival" knives that weighed a long ton. I mean, sure they have hollow handles, and pockets in the sheath. But using them for anything other than hacking down a red oak is kinda pretty difficult. Sure they are more intimidating when pulled on someone, but really aren't very utilitarian.

A few years ago I dated a guy who loved to hunt. But he carried this behemoth "survival" knife with a fourteen inch blade. I think it was called a Coup knife or something. It was funny watching him try to skin or gut a deer with it. He either had to take the hide off in strips, or hold the blade. On more than one occasion he cut his fingers up, and very often he cut open the gut because he had a difficult time controlling it when he dressed the animal.

For me? Ive always preferred a short fixed blade knife. If I feel the need for the goodie extras like matches or whatever I found they fit perfectly in a belt pouch. Yeah fighting with it is a secondary concern, but have found that I can wield it much faster. Working on game? The one Im carrying now can cut through the breast bone of a large buck with ease, and am able to skin the same in about a half hour with enough proficiency that when I take the hide in to be tanned that my taxidermist friend lowers the price because there isn't any meat left for her to clean off. The only thing I didn't like about it is the sheath. It looked cool, but was one of those nylon deals. Every time I use one of those the belt loop frays and comes apart within a week or two. So I just had a leathersmith friend of mine make me a new one.

knife.jpg

If I need to cut wood or something more robust than a breast bone or pelvic bone. Well that is why we invented the hatchet.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
my favorite knife is actually an el cheapo I picked up in virgina city for $12

I'm working on my buck 124 though. Making a custom handle. This is the rough draft. The hand gaurd will be separate and will be removeable ;) shaping it out of wood to get the feel right, then making a mold and pouring it out of resin or something similar.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I use a Buck and my Wife uses a Gerber. Really, I think that she came out on the better end of the deal because I like Gerber better. But all in all I have a custom made knife that I carry anytime I am out in the woods or whatever. This knife keeps an edge forever. I think when I need a knife it will be the hand made one that I grab.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have an ESEE izula as a camping/hiking knife. I have probably 20 or more from benchmade, CRKT, SOG, Buck and gerber. When i start looking for a true "do all" fixed blade, ESEE is getting the nod, the quality is heads above the rest of my collection.
I have to put the ESEE Izula right up there with some of the best knives on the market. It is my #1 backup blade and either hangs around my neck or in my boot. This little knife performs far past its size thats for sure.

Pictured here with my Fallkniven A1

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
I guess I am not much of a knife guy. I just have a Buck 119 (I think it is) and I have a really nice skinning/caping and Boning knife I use for processing game and rabbits I raise. I was recently at the local gun show and thought I woulD have the "Big O" looking through several tables of Damascus Twist blade knives, man they were beautiful. The prices were pretty impressive too!

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I guess I am not much of a knife guy. I just have a Buck 119 (I think it is) and I have a really nice skinning/caping and Boning knife I use for processing game and rabbits I raise. I was recently at the local gun show and thought I woulD have the "Big O" looking through several tables of Damascus Twist blade knives, man they were beautiful. The prices were pretty impressive too!
It never hurts to add in another knife other than the cost. I've had a bunch of the Buck's. Both larger and smaller. Gave them all away except for my Kraton handle version. One of the first to use Kraton too, back in the 80's. A good knife, but knives have come a long ways in steel quality and handle material. Micarta, G10 or aluminum are much tougher than the phenolic resin Buck uses for the handle. And steel that stays sharp much longer than than the 420hc, takes a better edge and is tougher. The Buck's still a good knife though. There's just more out there. Lots more depending on how much you want to spend. My favorite steel is the 154CM. It does exactly as mention and has good corrossion resistance besides.

Fixed Blade Knives - KnifeCenter

Tactical Fixed Blades -Tactical Fixed Blade Knives - Tactial Fixed Blade Knife

1 - 20 of 45 Posts