Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the university I attend, one of the Conservation Officers has a class in the spring about outdoor survival. I want to say that the class is only a week long (not too sure exactly) but after we do some in-class learning, that weekend we go out into the woods (not sure exactly where they went last time) and spent the weekend out there, applying what they learned in class. Shelter building, edible foods, building a fire, etc. SO EXCITED! I plan to take the class and I'm super excited about it :)

What do you guys think? Good idea to get young people out and learn about survival? I think it is!

Reactions: survival

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Thats a huge benefit and yes I would take the class. If you could get a step by step detailed of events to see if there is something on there where you can practice your skills learned prior to the trip, then you could break away when they are at ease to practice those skills. This would result in you having a backup with the entire group there instead of yourself being alone. Example, setup a deadfall trap, try to go a day or two without any processed foods, or scout out a terrain area. Be safe and let the others know what your doing and of course ask the instructor. Another good thing about this class would be that if you ever decide to open some type of consulting survival class, you have the experience that you can put down on your resume. Something else you might want to consider is getting your HAM Amateur radio license (I'm pushing this like crazy now), would take you about a week to learn prior to the class and when your out with the group try to make a contact with someone while your in the woods. I would definately take the class. Thumbs up!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hope to learn a lot and maybe practice what I already know. If I find out what all we would be doing, I'll let you know!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Sounds great! When I was a kid we did a lot of extended back-woods camping... great experience and lots of fun.
There's a LOT of good things to eat in the wilderness if you know where to look. We've collected a number of good field manuals on the topic of edible wild plants & mushrooms. It's fun to to make an occasionaly meal from things we gather on a hike :)

These guides have been pretty good :
A Field Guide to Edible Wild Plants: Eastern and central North America (Peterson Field Guides): Lee Allen Peterson, Roger Tory Peterson: 0046442926225: Amazon.com: Books
National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Mushrooms (National Audubon Society Field Guides): Gary H. Lincoff: 9780394519920: Amazon.com: Books

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds great! When I was a kid we did a lot of extended back-woods camping... great experience and lots of fun.
There's a LOT of good things to eat in the wilderness if you know where to look. We've collected a number of good field manuals on the topic of edible wild plants & mushrooms. It's fun to to make an occasionaly meal from things we gather on a hike :)

These guides have been pretty good :
A Field Guide to Edible Wild Plants: Eastern and central North America (Peterson Field Guides): Lee Allen Peterson, Roger Tory Peterson: 0046442926225: Amazon.com: Books
National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Mushrooms (National Audubon Society Field Guides): Gary H. Lincoff: 9780394519920: Amazon.com: Books
That sounds like fun! We never did much camping in the woods :/ it was usually our yard... haha but I'd really like to go camping in the woods too. Morel mushrooms are AMAZING!! Especially fried and dipped in Ketchup :p I plan to get books about outdoor survival, ect :) Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts