Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Surving a Cruise - Prep People Come On!

953 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Ripon 
#1 ·
A few years ago there was a ship off the west coast of Mexico (carnival) that was without power for some
time. Perhaps you recall the story, and of course the recent events just unloaded on Mobile Alabama.

Now I don't cruise much any more, but I use too. I find cruise vacations to be among the best value in
the world for seeing certain sights and places. You get accomodations, good food, decent service and I
don't drink or gamble so the costs are always pretty good. My last cruise was to Alaska, 10 days and it
cost my wife and I about 1900 dollars total. I got to seek Skagway (my favorite), Juneau (sp) nice
place and Ketchican - oh well its ok and a stop in really pretty Victoria BC and then back to Seattle.
Our costs included the fuel of driving from central CA to Seattle and arriving so we wouldn't need a
hotel and just got right on the ship, and then driving straight back as we got off the ship.

My wife and I had cruised before, to Mexico, and on that cruise the ship (Carnival) backed into a
birth and destroyed the dock and damaged itself (we were told its propeller). We were later informed
we'd be spending one of our days at Port instead of on the ocean, then we were told we'd be skippng
the next stop because repairs were needed, and then we were told we'd be cutting the third stop
really short and each of these statements came with - please be ready to go within 2 hours - hence
don't go exploring P.V. 3 days in PV was not my ideal cruise. For all of that they couldn't even buy us
a drink they gave us $27.50 back which amounted to the port fees for Matzalan that got skipped. In
otherwords it cost Carnival nothing to its passengers - customers. That was my last Carnival cruise and
I won't be back; by the way - THAT WAS THE SHIP that later broke down off the west coast of Mexico
almost a year later.

I don't know when I'll save up enough to cruise again - I suspect I will because we enjoy it. When we drove
to Seattle last year for the Alaska trip I of course packed for the road. Ruger P89, Kimber 1911, under the
lid trunk mounted AR, and Walther PPKs 22, plenty of ammo, plenty of beef jerky, a large box (96) oatmeal
bars, case of water, water filter, etc etc - my usual road material - you know. But of course the firearms
are not allowed on board, nor knives so you are kind of defenseless on board but they didn't object to my
kibble, toiletries, sanitizer, plastic bags, medications, (OTC stuff) and so forth. I'd never cruise again with
out enough supplies to go at least get by for 3 days. Oddly enough they didn't balk at my pocket knife.

So prepare for your cruise folks. And don't cruise Carnival - they suck.

See less See more
#2 ·
Sad their trip was ruined. On the other hand they will have something special to talk about for a life time. some may even write a book.Some may get on TV.
But lets get real. It was not the end of the world. Their lives were never in danger. Get over it take you free or discounted trip your cash and refunds and move on.
Maybe they learned some thing from it, but I doubt it. All I heard from them was poor me.

#3 ·
Yes I hear that; they don't want a free cruise and a few bucks they want the big money, from the deep pocket and they want to make sure everyone elses next cruise cost $20 more
to pay them for it. Just like hot coffee at McDonalds. They had to raise the price .05 to pay off their settlement (for a few weeks)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.