Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good Morning Everyone!

I am looking into getting a suppressor. I am stuck in my thoughts of either 22LR or .45 ACP. The 22LR is obviously not as loud as the .45 ACP. In a situation where supplies are scarce it should be easier to find ammo for the .45 ACP because most are inherently subsonic. I have a 9mm handgun I could get a threaded barrel for but it seems harder to find the 9mm subsonic than the 22LR. ::rambo:: Any thoughts on this?

Price is a point but I think with any of the below options I wont be breaking the bank. Here's what i'm looking at spending money on with the various courses of action:

Buy SIG Mosquito 22LR (ones with threaded barrels are easy to find) + Buy Suppressor + Find Subsonic ammo.
Buy threaded barrel for 9mm + Buy Suppressor + Find subsonic ammo.
Buy threaded barrel for Subcompact .45 ACP+ Buy Suppressor.
Buy Glock 21 + Buy threaded barrel + Buy Suppressor.

I haven't really explored the option of suppressors on rifles ::redsnipe::, but I might..... 22LR seems the way to go on that.

Last but not least does anyone vouch for a certain manufacturer of treaded barrelsand/or suppressors? Your input will be most helpful!

v/r
- KillSwitch

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Hit the old Youtube button, . . . spend a half hour or so, . . . there is one out there that uses oil filters as the suppressor.

If I understand correctly, . . . the FFL piece is the adapter that goes from your barrel to the old NAPA filter.

IT IS QUIET, . . . even without subsonic rounds.

I don't recollect if it could be used other than .22, . . . but check it out, . . .

Personally, . . . if I went "suppressor", . . . I'd go this way because there are .22 conversion kits for many handguns and for AR's. That makes the old .22LR pretty valuable if you have the conversion kit and the suppressor.

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
The reason I have been in the market for the new Ruger 10/22 takedown is to remove the flash suppressor and replace it with a sound suppressor.

The problem I have with using an oil filter is how do you aim the gun?

·
Administrator
15,422 Posts
Does the $200 tax stamp apply to supressors?

·
Registered
949 Posts
Good Morning Everyone!

I am looking into getting a suppressor. I am stuck in my thoughts of either 22LR or .45 ACP. The 22LR is obviously not as loud as the .45 ACP. In a situation where supplies are scarce it should be easier to find ammo for the .45 ACP because most are inherently subsonic. I have a 9mm handgun I could get a threaded barrel for but it seems harder to find the 9mm subsonic than the 22LR. ::rambo:: Any thoughts on this?

Price is a point but I think with any of the below options I wont be breaking the bank. Here's what i'm looking at spending money on with the various courses of action:

Buy SIG Mosquito 22LR (ones with threaded barrels are easy to find) + Buy Suppressor + Find Subsonic ammo.

I haven't really explored the option of suppressors on rifles ::redsnipe::, but I might..... 22LR seems the way to go on that.

Last but not least does anyone vouch for a certain manufacturer of treaded barrelsand/or suppressors? Your input will be most helpful!

v/r
- KillSwitch
If you are truly looking for a SHTF suppressed firearm. I would go with a 9 mm. They, and their ammo, are far more common than the .45.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
first you need to figure out which caliber is more important and suitable for you. how many centerfire handguns do you have? and how many 22's do you have. If you want to suppress a centerfire pistol, I suggest you get the .45 .45 cans can suppress .40 cal, 9mm .380 basically it will work for any pistol caliber .45 on down. 22's are good specially if they are intergrally suppressed. Other than that I wont suggest getting a .22 suppressors. Reason for this is the available ammo for .22 a lot of them are high velocity which wont work for a screw on can. get a ruger 10/22 and order a YHM integrally suppressed barrel and you can attach that yourself. you will be happy with that Im sure, that is very quiet. I own a walther P22 with an original Walther Can, I was not happy with it. I sent my ruger MK2 to Gemtech and they suppressed it integrally, Now that is a quiet gun.

·
Registered
949 Posts
you can shoot 9mm through most .45 cans ;).
Yea, I know. I would simply go with the 9 because of availability of the cartridge. I'd use any suppressor that would work, including homemade.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Good Morning Everyone!

v/r
- KillSwitch
People ask me my hobby some time and I tell them I collect stamps.. I don't tell em they are tax stamps though.. A .22 can is great, if you run 22lr they are pretty quiet and short rifle rounds are "Hollywood quiet" I use a Walther P22 with a threaded barrel. It has a much better feel than the Sig Mosquito. I also have a Ruger 10/22 with a threaded barrel that works great. I am looking for one with an integral suppressor. I have some for a few of our AR's also.. I just picked up a 30 cal for the Remington 700 aac-sp I just picked up. It comes with a threaded barrel so might as well have a can. I have someone that makes excellent suppressors and get them very cheap. With that said, I have used the oil can suppressors and they work pretty damn good. They block the sights on a handgun though so it is pretty much point and shoot. It is better on a long gun though, especially if your scope sits pretty high..

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I guess we need to know why you want to suppress? Here are my experiences.

A suppresses round still makes a LOT of noise, enough to tip off anybody that a gun has gone off.

IMO suppressors are a bigger benifit to the shooter than as a means of stealth. A supressed gun has less muzzle flash, and of course is a lot less noise inside a structure on the ears, this is the reason to suppress. If you think you can shoot and not be detected you are fooling yourself and have been watching too many movies.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I guess we need to know why you want to suppress? Here are my experiences.

A suppresses round still makes a LOT of noise, enough to tip off anybody that a gun has gone off.

IMO suppressors are a bigger benifit to the shooter than as a means of stealth. A supressed gun has less muzzle flash, and of course is a lot less noise inside a structure on the ears, this is the reason to suppress. If you think you can shoot and not be detected you are fooling yourself and have been watching too many movies.
Very true. People think that a suppressor is a silencer.. It is not!! You can get them very quiet if you use subsonic rounds but a normal round breaks the sound barrier and still has a sonic boom. They are more quiet but not "Hollywood quiet+ by any means..

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
As long as the ammunition you are using leaves the muzzle at under 1000 fps the gun can be silenced to the point that what you hear is the action working - except in revolvers. Suppressors do not work on revolvers. They do not work as well on blow back actions as they do with locked actions.

Anyone with a modicum of skill and a decent lathe can make a suppressor. You can turn a suppressor into a silencer (with sub-sonic ammo) in two easy to manage steps. I have fired 800 fps 22 LR ammo from a bolt action rifle and all you could hear was the firing pin dropping. I did that once and then destroyed the device because I do not have the "stamp". It was a test to see if it could be done.

Suppressors wear out - the first time you fire through one is the quietest it will ever be. It will get louder with each firing.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Get the can for a 45 as you can use it for all your other calibers.

Don't waste your time and money on a 22 can. It's to hard to find ammo, let alone subsonic. Can't reload it etc. Unless your plan is use to it for small game hunting only it's useless. Subsonic 22 is low power enough that your limited in usage.

Subsonic ammo is really easy to load. 380 all the way up to 308, yes subsonic 308 Win for your rifle. If your not reloading "yet" it's just one more reason to start.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
As long as the ammunition you are using leaves the muzzle at under 1000 fps the gun can be silenced to the point that what you hear is the action working - except in revolvers. Suppressors do not work on revolvers. They do not work as well on blow back actions as they do with locked actions.

Anyone with a modicum of skill and a decent lathe can make a suppressor. You can turn a suppressor into a silencer (with sub-sonic ammo) in two easy to manage steps. I have fired 800 fps 22 LR ammo from a bolt action rifle and all you could hear was the firing pin dropping. I did that once and then destroyed the device because I do not have the "stamp". It was a test to see if it could be done.

Suppressors wear out - the first time you fire through one is the quietest it will ever be. It will get louder with each firing.
Well I for one have zero experience using a lathe but they seem to be getting cheap. I have fired a subsonic .22LR in a bolt action and they almost make a suppressor unnecessary. I did not know that a suppressor could wear out. I understand an initial drop off but just assumed after a few dozen rounds the effect would flatline.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Thanks so far for all the input. I have seen/heard with .22LR you can get the sound down to the action of the bolt, so yes it can be almost silent . Suppressors are not just for quieting a gun, it can eliminate muzzle flash and distort sound so it is hard to tell which direction a shot came from. Wet vs Dry doesn't seem to make a difference on .22LR . I like the idea of oil filters but it even more so impedes the sights. I am going completely legal on this as my career wouldn't take kindly to a felony weapons charge.

If you are truly looking for a SHTF suppressed firearm. I would go with a 9 mm. They, and their ammo, are far more common than the .45.
The reason I was looking at .45 over 9mm because subsonic ammo for the 9mm will be far more difficult to find vs the .45 since most .45 ammo is inherently subsonic.
----------

I think I have decided to go with the .22LR for my fist "can". Maybe get a full size .45 and a suppressor down the road. I am looking at the TAC65 .22LR Suppressor. The reviews are fairly good, does anyone use a different brand that they recommend?

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Supressor or Silencer, the two are very different!

I bought one for my 9mm not that I am a big fan of that caliber but I also use it on my AR-15 with sub-sonic 300 Whisper and its freaking awesome! The 240gr SMK makes more noise hitting the embankment down range than the gun makes at the bench!!! The added plus is I can thread it on my Taurus PT-99 and grab a carton of 147gr ammo and use it on my pistol as well for max versatility. Sure the sub sonic ammo for 9mm aint as widely available as 45 ACP off the shelf, but that's why I reload! Yes I have a 45 too but lets face it, even if I didn't have a 10K plus stash of once fired brass in 9mm, the 9mm is a lot more economical than the 45 ACP and at the ranges I would be using it...it will still pick up the check!

Id have to look at which brand I bought, but I used what my gunsmith told me to get. The cost was a little over 800 bucks at the time plus the 200 dollar tax. So cost was in the area of about 1100.00 fun dollars.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.