Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had to brand a few hundred more calves today..We got on the 4 wheelers are started rounding them up first thing this morning and took us a few hours to bring them in.. We only did about 200 calves but since everything has been held off for the past few months due to the floods and weather. It means they are a lot bigger than usual. You would be surprised how much a calf will grow in those extra few months.. We still have 4-500 more to do in the next few weeks!

It's kinda funny, you are working your ass off having to bulldog more than half of them,you're out of breath,sweating,smelling burnt hair and flesh and absolutely covered in cow shit. And it is some of the most fun you will ever have.. I have been around beef cattle my entire life and it never gets old. We were talking yesterday. Most people have a regular office job, they go to a store or office EVERY day...We always have something different to do and took the 4 wheelers over 122 miles the other day and never left the ranch..I'll take my office over most any day of the week.. Where else do you get to carry a gun and get to shoot stuff on a daily basis?? Whether it be in a truck,tractor,horseback or 4 wheeler, you can bet your bottom dollar there is a firearm on hand.. We get to shoot yotes pretty often..

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I sure would have loved for a few PETA or bleeding heart liberal wimps were there. The cows and calves bellering so loud you can't hear anything else hardly. Just seeing their faces as you put the brand to the calf and the hair singes and catches fire. Having to frap em in the head with a stick to get em in the shute! And frappin them even HARDER after they kick you! Notching their ears and throwing the piece on the ground for the dogs to snack on.. Actually, I bet it looks pretty barbaric to someone not used to it..

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
What about the "oysters", don't tell me you haven't sizzled some of them on the propane branding iron oven!

In my day it was a right of passage to chew a few of those.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What about the "oysters", don't tell me you haven't sizzled some of them on the propane branding iron oven!

In my day it was a right of passage to chew a few of those.
I didn't want to gross anyone out too much..LOL We have had plenty of oysters over the years.. The dogs always seem to love em too!!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
..The cows and calves bellering so loud you can't hear anything else hardly. Just seeing their faces as you put the brand to the calf and the hair singes and catches fire. Having to frap em in the head with a stick to get em in the shute! And frappin them even HARDER after they kick you! Notching their ears and throwing the piece on the ground for the dogs to snack on.. Actually, I bet it looks pretty barbaric to someone not used to it..
Even aliens are having fun too in the Rocky states, I hear they regularly use lasers to carve chunks out of them and dump the carcasses to rot

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
There should be away to just cut a piece of meat off one and it would grow back. PETA couldn't have anything against that I mean if it saves just one cow.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
America and Britain are supposed to be Christian countries, so if PETA or anybody else tries to say meat-eating is wrong here's a full metal jacketed round from the Bible to put them in their place, and for good measure we could also ask them if they're godless commies..:)
God said- "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything" (Genesis 9:3)

As for the beasts having to be slapped around a little to keep them in line there's nothing wrong with that, this dame can rope me, throw me and brand me any time she likes-

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Rocky Mountain Oysters.

Long story but we convinced a Yankee tenderfoot that they were real. Omg the fun and laughs we had later.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rocky Mountain Oysters.

Long story but we convinced a Yankee tenderfoot that they were real. Omg the fun and laughs we had later.
I was actually able to talk this city boy into goin Snipe hunting with us.. We took him in the woods, dropped him off and told him to turn his flashlight on and off and yell "snipe snipe" and hit the palmettos with a stick and they would run into the burlap bag we gave him.. My brother and I went back to camp and had a few drinks over several hours while we watched the light go off and on in the distance.. After a few hours, we went and got him.. He swore he heard some but never seen any..lol

Funny thing is, there is actually a bird called a snipe and they are very fun to hunt.. I tell people that and they think I am joking..lol

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
The Snipe is a shore bird similar to the Sandpiper but smaller. You are ...unlikely... to find any in a forested or field area away from water. :)

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Snipe is a shore bird similar to the Sandpiper but smaller. You are ...unlikely... to find any in a forested or field area away from water. :)
We used to hunt them along Lake Okeechobee in Florida and the surrounding areas... They are a fun bird to hunt..Gotta be quick.. Although, dove is my favorite bird to hunt..Quail would be next. I have several places in Fl,Ga and SC that we hunt when we get time..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts