Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought one today!
sun oven, after reading reviews, videos and all... I went for the one that does and has everything. made in the usa.

this one boils eggs with out water. set 2 dozen eggs in there and yer set! paturizes water, will cook anything but fried foods! its a dehydrator too! can make jerky and im so excited!!!:razz:

sun oven is super even when there's snow! so long as there's sun... yer cooking!! super when you're trying to stay concealed and be without having a fire!

Sun Oven Solar Cooker Christmas Package for 2012 | Sun Oven® | The Original Solar Oven & Solar Cooker

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Yeah sure, it works great here in Minnesota with our three days of sun during winter. Seriously, I have used ours - in the summer - and it works fine. Now I just have to figure out the next sunny day here.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
We will be cooking dinner in ours today. We use it about once a week. Love it.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Yeah sure, it works great here in Minnesota with our three days of sun during winter. Seriously, I have used ours - in the summer - and it works fine. Now I just have to figure out the next sunny day here.
My chrystal ball says maybe January 14th, . . . if not then, . . . maybe Feb 30th,...........

Don't feel bad, . . . Ohio ain't much better. Beautiful sun shining today, . . . but I know this place, . . . it won't last long. I'd get me one of them ovens if there was any way I could be sure to use it more than 5 months a year.

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the sun was out today and it was raining :)
for long term distress purposes, should I have to use it for that, it keeps the work down on the amount of burnables we'd need and its good for the environment and great if you need to conceal whereabouts! I am so excited!

·
Super Moderator
9,178 Posts
I was kind of disappointed after watching the video. I was expecting some kind of "death ray" Fresnel lens thingy. In all seriousness, both of you please tell us about one of your recipes and how it turned out. Photos if possible would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Me and the Boys were actually going to make one just for the fun of it next week.. found 4 part youtube series and how he made it made it..

Reactions: shotlady

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I was kind of disappointed after watching the video. I was expecting some kind of "death ray" Fresnel lens thingy. In all seriousness, both of you please tell us about one of your recipes and how it turned out. Photos if possible would be appreciated.
We use any recipe that calls for a slow cooker or crock pot. We have found that you only need to use about half the liquid a recipe calls for.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Since we have 363 days of sun here in AZ, I'd think one of those would be FANTASTIC out here! Do post up your results. I'm curious before I leap out and spend $400 on something.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
We love it, like I said we cook in it about once or twice a week. Not only do we use slow cooker or crock pot recipe's but we have cooked ribs, used it as a dehydrator, have made beef jerky, homemade soups, you can cook about anything with the sun oven.
We have found that here in Florida with the screened in pool cages that it cooks cooler on the patio if we take it out in the yard it gets another 50- 75 degrees hotter. The screen must block some of the rays.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
very nice! to totally cant wait to do boiled eggs for my salads and breakfast on the go! make some jerky! do you set your crock pot in there or use their pots and pans? I got the whole set up! im hoping they give a cook book so I can learn to make things like bread!

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
here's a youtube for budget preppers. its a solar oven for 5$
what a great thing to have set aside for prepping if you don't use solar cooking as a life style!

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
solar cooking reduces the trees and chopping youll need to do for cooking and such. additionally it helps you stay concealed, where as fire will get you found. in a long term situation eventually the fuel runs out. wouldn't it be great to save the fuel for other things?

it also cuts down on the water needed... again saving the purified water you have...

these car cover things would also be a great double for heat in an er situation. ill get one for my car

·
Registered
560 Posts
Hello All, I like others here built my own solar oven from info on line. Works great and hey if you can afford to drop $400 on an oven nothing wrong with that. But not me, I live a mostly subsistence lifestyle and cant swing a purchase like that.

Anyway, lust a new guy giving you my 2 cents...

·
Registered
560 Posts
I don't have a work shop, it costs dearly to not have a workshop :)
Hey I do understand, I build things for friends all the time for the same reason. Even started doing some things for fellow preppers and its easy not to give your address for shipping. We can all work together and not violate opsech… Besides its a great way to barter.....

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't mind giving address for buying. I take and store my prepps at my friends house where I plan to bug out to. so my address wont help no one. may get em tied up and violated :) lol

i don't have anything but money. and a cat. ill barter the cat. shes rather mean.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Dont need anything else mean around here, the wife already scares me....lol

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
very nice! to totally cant wait to do boiled eggs for my salads and breakfast on the go! make some jerky! do you set your crock pot in there or use their pots and pans? I got the whole set up! im hoping they give a cook book so I can learn to make things like bread!
We use their pots They are dark color which is best. Don't remember if it came with a cook book or we ordered one. Once we realized what all you could cook , which is anything, we have not used it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts