Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
9,182 Posts
I love my Rossi pumps. Had one I bought when I was 9 and just picked up another one last January.
My AR-7 that I forgot about until I pulled out this picture,
and my Marlin 39A plus one of six M-1 carbines I have also.
The AR-7 is in a GHB in one jeep with 200 rounds of ammo.
The Marlin also shoots shorts, long, and long rifle.
The big screw just above the trigger takes it down.

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
9,621 Posts
My AR-7 that I forgot about until I pulled out this picture,
and my Marlin 39A plus one of six M-1 carbines I have also.
The AR-7 is in a GHB in one jeep with 200 rounds of ammo.
The Marlin also shoots shorts, long, and long rifle.
The big screw just above the trigger takes it down.
View attachment 113725
Is that a stainless AR-7???
Never seen one with that finish. There's an all camo one at the local gun shop, but that's not what I'd prefer.
An elegantly simple and functional pack rifle.

·
Registered
9,182 Posts
Is that a stainless AR-7???
Never seen one with that finish. There's an all camo one at the local gun shop, but that's not what I'd prefer.
An elegantly simple and functional pack rifle.

You know I don't remember what the receiver is made of.
I know the barrel is aluminum with a steel liner.
I bought it about 18 years ago tested it, cleaned it and put it in the GHB.
It might be aluminum with sand blasted surface and a nickel plate, it is an original Armalite. I have a matching pistol to go with it somewhere here.
Rifle has only been out when bag is updated.
Whenever I pull it out I will let you know, OK?
You know, I could make one out of SS with a solid SS barrel, easy enough to do.
I would have to stop working on customer guns, I only use so much time a week to do them.
Right now I have a months worth of work on the floor.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I got a Remington 700 ADL on clearance sale for $79.00, can't get much cheaper than that. It came with a cheapie scope too.
Nice...

This was 30+ years ago... But I snagged a 700 BDL with a hair trigger (job), nice sling, and a nice scope for $50... Coworker of mine was separated from her ex, but he was a felon and trying to get her to hide his weapons... She wasn't having it, and since he couldn't legally own them, and it was a community property state, she sold them. She was just looking to get rid of them, as hiding them for him was actually a crime too of sorts (she was looking to get into law enforcement, and didn't want the guns to be an issue). She asked me for $25, and I told her I couldn't pay that little, that it was worth far more. She insisted on $50, and I took it (and another rifle). Then a couple years ago, I traded the BDL for a few collectables, which I eventually flipped for $10,000 this last year. Used that to buy several nice guns, and various prepping supplies. Took a few years, but from $50 to $10,000 was a decent return. :)

As to the OP query, I'd go with a .22 for my first gun, but I'd steer away from the Marlin 60. I actually own one, and though it's nice, it's a PITA to break down and clean. You literally have to remove the wood stock from the barrel and breach assembly if you want to clean it right. I never shoot it for this very reason. It was my first gun, and I keep it for sentimental reasons, to hand down to the kids.. Though I'm sure they're far more interested in my other more tactical options...

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
Let’s assume I am new to prepping which means I’m starting from scratch. This also means I’m having to spread my budget out over several aspects of prepping at one time. Assuming I have no firearms, what would you suggest as being my first rifle purchase? Take into consideration current conditions.

My personal suggestion is a semi-auto Marlin Model 60 .22 cal. They can still be found for reasonable prices, ammo is still available and can be found in both HP and ball, they are good for taking down small game (and even larger game with knowledge and practice) and they are lightweight and easy to carry. Not to mention, parts are readily available and reasonably priced. They are also easy to work on should the need arise.

Let me see your suggestions.
I have the SS model with a high dollar scope. I like your plan. lol.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Not sure if they are still made but my brother has a 22 / 20 gauge over under break open. Kind of the best of both worlds in one gun.

·
Administrator
15,099 Posts
Not sure if they are still made but my brother has a 22 / 20 gauge over under break open. Kind of the best of both worlds in one gun.
Savage made those.
The only current one Savage catalogs is the Model 42 Takedown, which is 22LR over .410.
www.savagearms.com

·
Registered
12,474 Posts
Savage made those.
The only current one Savage catalogs is the Model 42 Takedown, which is 22LR over .410.
www.savagearms.com
A .22/.410 over under break open was the first gun that I ever had. My Dad gave it to me when I was like 6. I do not remember what make it was as it was actually my Grandfather's first. Fairly old gun that my step-mother gave away to some stranger for nothing after my Father passed away. I am 50 years old. My Father died in 1999 at the age of 55. I was born after my Grandfather died, so I never met him. The gun must have been at 70-75 years old minimum. A guess anyways. Great gun for squirrel hunting.

·
Registered
12,474 Posts
A pic of 2 of my AR’s. Top is 16” CHF barreled carbine. Bottom is a complete build using a lot of BCM parts including 14.5” barrel. My night fighting carbine. IR laser and IR illuminator to use with my PVs-14.

·
Administrator
15,099 Posts
.410 is still a decent option
.410 is my favorite shotgun round, 20 ga is next.
In .410 I’ve got a 40 year old Mossberg bolt action, and H&R single shot, and a Stoeger SXS double barrel.
Since any farm defense I’m likely to have to deal with would be small animals at relatively close range, a .410 loaded with #4 shot will do the job.
Actually, against humans, Winchester makes OOO buck rounds. Three balls in the 2.5”, and five balls in the 3”, propelled at the same velocity as a 12 ga OOO buck load.
8 balls in the 12 ga versus 5 balls in the .410. Think the bad guy would notice?

·
Registered
12,474 Posts
.410 is my favorite shotgun round, 20 ga is next.
In .410 I’ve got a 40 year old Mossberg bolt action, and H&R single shot, and a Stoeger SXS double barrel.
Since any farm defense I’m likely to have to deal with would be small animals at relatively close range, a .410 loaded with #4 shot will do the job.
Actually, against humans, Winchester makes OOO buck rounds. Three balls in the 2.5”, and five balls in the 3”, propelled at the same velocity as a 12 ga OOO buck load.
8 balls in the 12 ga versus 5 balls in the .410. Think the bad guy would notice?
I read some place that .410 has a history of being a pretty common gun used in murders and self defense.

·
Administrator
15,099 Posts
A 2.5" Winchester .410 slug round is a 41 caliber, 88 grain, pill moving at 1600 FPS.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

My Mossberg bolt action has the patented C-Lect choke that I can quickly twist from full to open, and anything in between.
I usually keep it Modified, but if I've got slugs loaded onboard it goes to wide open.

·
Super Moderator
9,073 Posts
Everyone has a great idea, based on what they need. Some for hunting, and some for defence. I guess you'll need to figure out what's most important and start there.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yes on the 60.
Very good firearm and accurate from the factory which can't always be said for a 10/22. Bench it, dial it in, and practice for cheap, or relatively so. My 60 chews quarter size holes at 50 yards benched and scoped with no wind and cheap Fed bulk.

An air rifle is good for practice too and even cheaper.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts