Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I’m already heavily invested in milsurp 7.62X39 ammo.
I have a feeling if you shot my Daniel Defense DDM4 V7 Pro you would change your mind about an AR.

·
Administrator
15,103 Posts
I already have probably well over twenty thousand bucks invested in weaponry, I don’t really need any more.

Reactions: KUSA

·
Registered
12,474 Posts
A semiauto .22 rifle would be a good pick for first rifle. I agree with comments on the value of a shotgun as they are very versatile. When you start looking into a combat rifle, go for a solid to good AR. AK's are good rifles, but way over priced. The bottom of the barrel AK's will run you $850 plus. These are not solid rifles by any means.
Todays AR's are extremely reliable, much more accurate and certainly more modular/customizable. You can spend the $950 and get a Colt AR 6920 which is what the U.S. Military has used for many years. A very reliable and accurate rifle. A quality AR will get you a life of 20,000 rounds and some have gotten as much as 50,000 before shot out. They are also very reliable with little maintenance today if you buy something that is quality and keep lubed.
AR's are also much more common than AK's, parts are easier to come by and they are easier to work on. Also much more likely that you would come across 5.56/.223 ammo in a SHTF situation than 7.62x39.

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
9,621 Posts
AR's are also much more common than AK's, parts are easier to come by and they are easier to work on. Also much more likely that you would come across 5.56/.223 ammo in a SHTF situation than 7.62x39.
These are my primary reasons for choosing the AR platform.
Every single police station, security agency, and contractor force will have them in ample supply along with parts, magazines, and ammunition.

·
Registered
12,474 Posts
A pic of the 6.5 Grendel that I assembled. I can't get internet service with my phone right now or I would have posted a pic of a couple of two of my AR's in 5.56 including one that I would classify in the Colt 6920 category with an FN CHF 16' barrel and Toolcraft BCG. Total cost of the rifle was about $850 not including the optic. The Grendel on the other hand was about $1,450 to build minus the optic and mount which was another $1,275. Great shooter though, but still only a couple hundred rounds through it.

·
Registered
9,182 Posts
Whether you get an AK or an AR, it is my opinion that they should be in standard military calibers,
Rounds like the 300 and the 6.5 will be impossible to get post SHTF.
The 7.62X39, 5.56X45 and the 7.62X51 are as common as the 38 Special, stick with the standards.
I am talking here for new shooters/preppers, those who load, do what you please.
You can even throw in the 30/30 round as a common round, all stores that sell ammo have it, just like that 38 Special and 45 ACP.
The rimfire rifles I have are a Marlin 39A and a Ruger 10/22, both are scoped and accurate.
Those would be my rimfire choice

·
Registered
167 Posts
Get a remington 700 cheap and you can upgrade them to match grade as you go. Rifle will grow with you and parts are easily accessible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I got a Remington 700 ADL on clearance sale for $79.00, can't get much cheaper than that. It came with a cheapie scope too.

·
Registered
12,474 Posts
Whether you get an AK or an AR, it is my opinion that they should be in standard military calibers,
Rounds like the 300 and the 6.5 will be impossible to get post SHTF.
The 7.62X39, 5.56X45 and the 7.62X51 are as common as the 38 Special, stick with the standards.
I am talking here for new shooters/preppers, those who load, do what you please.
You can even throw in the 30/30 round as a common round, all stores that sell ammo have it, just like that 38 Special and 45 ACP.
The rimfire rifles I have are a Marlin 39A and a Ruger 10/22, both are scoped and accurate.
Those would be my rimfire choice
Very true. Standard or common calibers should be your base and bulk of what you have & stock.

·
Administrator
15,103 Posts
Speaking of 30-30, since I live in a wooded area, and there would be very few shots of 100 yards or more, I could get by just fine with either my Winchester or Marlin 30-30 as a defense rifle.

·
Administrator
15,103 Posts
In 1974 I bought my first M1 Garand, at Woolworth Department Store, for $268 out the door.
BUT, adjusted for inflation, that would be about $1,000 now.

·
Registered
9,182 Posts
I’ve got one of these. It is a handy rifle that fits in its own backpack.
I don't have a 10/22 takedown just a standard one.
My Marlin 39A is a takedown and has its own carrying case that floats with the rifle in it.
What is nice about it is the receiver splits apart and the scope is attached to the half with the barrel, no loss of zero, i know the 10/22 takedown mounts a scope on the barrel assy.

I recommend the extended mag release for any 10/22,
it made a big difference in removing the mag.
Easy to change out also.

·
Administrator
15,103 Posts
One of my 22’s is a Rossi pump, with 16” barrel.
It takes down at the receiver with a simple thumb screw, into two very short pieces.
Shoots shorts, longs, long rifles.
They are not made anymore.

Reactions: RedLion

·
Registered
14 Posts
I love my Rossi pumps. Had one I bought when I was 9 and just picked up another one last January.

One of my 22’s is a Rossi pump, with 16” barrel.
It takes down at the receiver with a simple thumb screw, into two very short pieces.
Shoots shorts, longs, long rifles.
They are not made anymore.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts