Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings All,

I am currently in the market to purchase 5 gallon water containers to use to build up a 30 day long-term stock of water (120-150 gallons total). My choice of using 5 gallon containers, instead of 55 gallon drums, is based on the space that I have to store the water and wanting the keep the containers light enough to move by multiple members of the family.

I would love any suggestions people could give me for high quality yet reasonably priced 5 gallon water containers. The best one that I have been able to find so far is the one pictured below (from Coleman); it's available from Walmart for $13. Does anyone have any suggestions that are of higher quality or lower price?

Thanks for your help.

ScientistPrepper

Liquid Fluid Rectangle Gadget Gas

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A_Watchman,

Thanks a ton! Those look great and are a better price point.

Do you (or anyone else) have any wisdom on blue colored vs white plastic/somewhat transparent containers? I will be treating them and storing them in a crawlspace that seldom gets light and wrapped in a tarp. Again, thanks in advance for any expertise.

ScientistPrepper

· Registered
11,981 Posts
No light is the key criteria, if you are using clear containers. Cover them with a tarp if you have to. I use 55 gallon barrels made for water storage.

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
These are similiar, but they stack, which is nice. You can put 60 gallons into a space 3 1/2 x 3 1/2 x 1 foot. Check Amazon.

http://www.prepperforums.net/forum/...3d1471786333-storage-ideas-tips-podcast-1.jpg
sideKahr,

Those do look really nice. I found some on Amazon that I think look identical to your pic. Can you confirm that? They are a bit pricey but they look REALLY high quality in terms of being sturdy. Let me know.

ScientistPrepper

https://www.amazon.com/Stackable-Co...9&keywords=stacking+5+gallon+water+containers

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No light is the key criteria, if you are using clear containers. Cover them with a tarp if you have to. I use 55 gallon barrels made for water storage.
I know 55 gallon barrels is the more ideal solution. But the location that I need to place the water storage makes the size, shape, and filling/draining to rotate of a 55 gallon barrel unworkable. Right now I am trying to focus on achieving the goal (water storage) while working within the limitations of my space. I know I'm going to pay slightly more for 11 x 5 gallon containers than I would for 1 x 55 gallon barrel, but I'm hoping to stay in the $100 per 55 gallon range for the containers.

Thanks for your help and advice.

· Registered
1,305 Posts
I think I may buy some of those Samson stackers, they would be perfect for a boat.
I'm using main tank(50 gallons) and two five gallon jerry cans, plus around 130 water bottles. The bottles are just take up a massive amount of space. Then again they are free... Hotel baby!

Reactions: stowlin

· Registered
3,849 Posts
We only carry two five gallon reserves on our boat but I was able to swap out a 40 gallon tank for a 55 gallon drum. So we roll with 65 gallons max. We do have the ability to create drinking water anywhere were on the water with desalination.

· Registered
1,305 Posts
I'm working on a solar still, and have looked at water makers. Definatly on my short list. The reason I'm leaning on storage right now is twofold; one is the fact that many places around here charge for water and it can be a hassle. Two is that, whether I like it or not, I have a group of people I'm responsible for, so lots of drinking water RIGHT NOW is important for our situation.
How do you desalinise?

· Registered
3,514 Posts
I buy the 5 gal water bottles that you put on top of a water cooler ,l deer park told me there shelf life is 10 years .

Reactions: Steve40th

· Banned
3,183 Posts
Has anyone tried or had any experience with water storage boxes that use mylar bags? (see link below) I doubt they are very durable but they are an interesting concept.

Opinions?
I purchased an impulse bag sealer and as a test I filled up some Mylar bags with water and sealed them.

The filled bags can support all 215 pounds of my weight on one foot standing on a bag of water bouncing my weight.

Anything sharp and it'll puncture tho.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.