Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever done this? I saw my grandmother take a needle and thread and go through each bean like they use to do with popcorn on christmas trees. She did this and then hung it out to dry. I would think who has the time to do that anymore? But if teotwawki happens, then you'll have all the time in the world! I would also think that it wouldn't be as sanitary because of the flies, but I guess cooking them afterwards would take care of that problem.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have seen beans dried outside on cookie sheets, but I never heard of stringing them. That is an interesting way of drying beans. I have heard of drying rose hips that way for using in tea. They dry peppers that way and make ristras.
Did she roll them up after and make a wreath or something like that?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree, very interesting. I would think that would take forever to do that now, but like I said if teotwawki happens, then we will have all the time.

She did not roll them up afterwards, she would put them in a bucket after they were dried. When old gramps wanted some beans, then she would pull them out and cook them. I guess that is what hard times does... makes you realize the importance of making and preparing your own food.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've seen this method done with beans in my friends' homes and it seems to be quite and old tradition. I've heard them called trouser beans and flannel beans from the toughness of the dried outer shell. Also, have seen references to bean stringing in older cookbooks, one being a remembrance of the author's childhood during the Great Depression.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts