Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A thread on Spam has me wondering whats some of the "strangest things" you have eaten? I grew up country so here is a quick list, some usual stuff, some exotic.
Rabbit-no big deal, but alot of people never have.
Duck-hoping for some more to be dropped by today, its the last weekend for hunting ducks in NM
Chicken Hearts-skewered, greasy, like the taste of a really greasy chicken thigh
Pig lips, pig ears, pig feet- loved them when i was younger, dont know if i should revisit.
Dove-MMMM
Aligater- skewered tail meat BBQ style
worms-yes, had to try it, fried and raw earthworm,,, they taste like dirt.
rattlesnake-pangrilled was tough, and doesnt taste like chicken.
frog legs-awesome panfried, a cross between fish and chicken.
deep fried meal worms-had so much spices on them tasted like red hot peanuts.
deer meat- making second batch of deer jerky tonight.
chittlins'- awesome if prepared and cooked by some one with experience.
rocky mountain oysters-were good till my brain took over my stomache.
oysters- can only handle about two per year raw, with hot sauce.
Goat- Texas grilled when I was young, tasted very peppery.
Buffalo ground chuck- tasted like a regular burger to me.
Crawdads-A real crawfish broil is awesome.
Wish list-
Bear- wanna try roasted, and maybe jerky.
Guinnee pig- people eat them like livestock in other places, and the bennefits of raising sustainable quick breeding rodents to consume sounds fun.
carribou?-spelling?
blubber-Im terrible I know
seal- Again, I know Im terrible.
shark-missed out on a fish fry, my uncles had eaten it all when I arrived.

·
Registered
103 Posts
once while on my motorcycle i swallowed a bug.

Reactions: cecollie and jrclen

·
Registered
7,900 Posts
I lived with 3 Vietnamese gals back in the '80's. My buddies dog came up missing. Most everything they cooked, they giggled about when they served it up.

I was told not to ask what it was.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Voluntarily tried; Rocky Mountain oysters (bull balls), spicy crickets, tequila sucker complete with worm, live baby octopus (VERY nasty).

Involuntarily eaten; swallowed a hornet, & most likely dog (was in South Korea & we were told it was beef but tasted very off).

·
Registered
50 Posts
A thread on Spam has me wondering whats some of the "strangest things" you have eaten? I grew up country so here is a quick list, some usual stuff, some exotic.
Rabbit-no big deal, but alot of people never have.
Duck-hoping for some more to be dropped by today, its the last weekend for hunting ducks in NM
Chicken Hearts-skewered, greasy, like the taste of a really greasy chicken thigh
Pig lips, pig ears, pig feet- loved them when i was younger, dont know if i should revisit.
Dove-MMMM
Aligater- skewered tail meat BBQ style
worms-yes, had to try it, fried and raw earthworm,,, they taste like dirt.
rattlesnake-pangrilled was tough, and doesnt taste like chicken.
frog legs-awesome panfried, a cross between fish and chicken.
deep fried meal worms-had so much spices on them tasted like red hot peanuts.
deer meat- making second batch of deer jerky tonight.
chittlins'- awesome if prepared and cooked by some one with experience.
rocky mountain oysters-were good till my brain took over my stomache.
oysters- can only handle about two per year raw, with hot sauce.
Goat- Texas grilled when I was young, tasted very peppery.
Buffalo ground chuck- tasted like a regular burger to me.
Crawdads-A real crawfish broil is awesome.
Wish list-
Bear- wanna try roasted, and maybe jerky.
Guinnee pig- people eat them like livestock in other places, and the bennefits of raising sustainable quick breeding rodents to consume sounds fun.
carribou?-spelling?
blubber-Im terrible I know
seal- Again, I know Im terrible.
shark-missed out on a fish fry, my uncles had eaten it all when I arrived.
I've eaten pretty much everything you have except the worms and RM oysters. I've also had shark (to me it's like alligator in the sense that the way it's prepared makes a big difference in how good it tastes.) I've also had things in other countries where I just pointed to the menu and had no idea what was in it. I'm pretty adventurous that way- I don't think I would choose to try any bugs, especially if they still looked like bugs, but if you're really hungry then I guess anything will do. Personally I like goat, lamb, alligator, bison, escargot, and all seafood with exception of oysters. Not that I'm worries about that though, since if anything really happens most people would probably have a tough time harvesting those themselves anyway. I'll take stream fishing or going to the catfish pond any day.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have not eaten anything I personally would consider strange. Maybe a couple things I didnt think i would ever eat such as chittlins (chitterlings) or pork stomach. Things I have eaten:
cow heart - cooked it in the crock pot just like a roast...tasted basically the same
bear
deer
chittlins
pork stomach
shark
octopus
crawfish

Things I want to try:
goat
rabbit
squirrel
turtle
wild boar
alligator
basically most wild game....just not sure I could stomach bugs and worms lol

·
Administrator
14,709 Posts
I lived with 3 Vietnamese gals back in the '80's. My buddies dog came up missing. Most everything they cooked, they giggled about when they served it up.

I was told not to ask what it was.
Been there, done that, bought the T-shirt.
Goat - popular in South Florida because of the Caribean islanders. Very good, especially Jamaican goat pattys (think of an apple turnover with goat instead).
Black bear - check (sausage, very dry, have to add some pork for fat)
alligator - check (also very available in South Florida)
Hog nuts - ummmm, good, a Georgia delicacy, breaded and deep fried at hog castration time. Very good.
frog legs - fresh from the Everglades. The crap that's farm raised and imported from Vietnam is garbage.
Baracuda - excellent, but only small ones, big ones are full of toxins. Remember the Bahamian rule: "no longer than your arm can do no harm".
Eastern Diamondback rattlesnake - fried one up in a skillet once, but was way too boney. Too many ribs.

Haven't tried possum or armadillo yet. Maybe that will come after Obama finishes destroying the economy.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Strangest thing I have ever eaten was raw octopus at a sushi place. It was very salty and very slimy. I would not eat it again. Nasty.

Had a friend who used to eat cow brains with scrambled eggs - I could never bring myself to do that. Turned my stomach just looking at it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Strangest thing I have ever eaten was raw octopus at a sushi place. It was very salty and very slimy. I would not eat it again. Nasty.

Had a friend who used to eat cow brains with scrambled eggs - I could never bring myself to do that. Turned my stomach just looking at it.
Yea brains are one of the things I think I will never be able to stomach. I think the movie 'Silence of the lambs' that put a bad taste in my mouth on the idea of eating brains... or maybe it was 'Hannibal' ... either way it doesnt look too appealing LOL

·
Super Moderator
8,667 Posts
Tried that once, definitely didn't like it. :eek:

Once at a restaurant in Colorado Springs, a waitress made me a deal, if I tried the rm oysters (they were on the menu) and didn't like them, she would not charge me for them. Not bad actually.

·
Registered
335 Posts
We did a project in my AP Biology II class in high school. We had to come up with food alternatives for sugar, flour and other key ingredients in baking/cooking. We use all kinds of insects - ground crickets for brown sugar was a big one. We tested approximately 25 different kinds of bugs - worms and so forth. So i have eaten them all. Not a big deal.

The worst food in my book is most Vietnamese or Filipino food. They eat the worst crap in the entire world. If you don't know about Balut. Look it up. ugh.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I think the order of fried chicken gizzards seemed strange at the time but isnt likely the strangest. I have a fondness for raw mint leaves growing outside my door. Nope not that one either.

Raw Octupus. Ok. Strange but definently edible.

·
Registered
264 Posts
We are country folk so just about anything you can hunt we have tried.
Deer
Elk
Caribou
Rabbit
Squirrel
Pheasant
Turtle
We also done a 2- week hunt in South Africa
Kudu
Gemsbuck
Springbuck
Blesbuck

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
I went to a wild game dinner one time at the local gun club, they had all differant kinds on animals, I made the decission that I would try every thing on the menu,
Skunk
Woodchuck
Muskrat
Porcupine
bear
Elk
Moose
Opossum
Buffalo

Racoon, and muskrat were the nastiest.

Buffallo has always been a big treat.

Elk is fantastic.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Forgot about chicken gizzards and and have tried deer liver. But I truly love chicken gizzards. Worked at a convenience store/deli in Arkansas, would have to boil 60 pounds per shift, while you deep fried the shift before yours 60 pounds, ususally sold out in two hours. OMG, now Im gonna have to stink my house up, becouse Im HAVE to have some gizzards. with jalapenos and soft bread.
Also, remembered having "pickled quail eggs" as a kid. Grandpas favorite.(with a glass of buttermilk and a chunk of cornbread in the glass)

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
And hog head suase (spelling). Grandpa loved it, and I tried it, not gonna repeat unless I was really hungry.

·
Registered
28 Posts
While in the Navy I was stationed in the Philippines on Luzon Island. I ate (on purpose)monkey on several occasions and dog on one occasion. There was other foods like fish head soup and something that I could not tell what it was but it tasted OK. The Philippines was a very interesting place to live.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Reactions: AsteroidX
1 - 20 of 37 Posts