Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much water do you think you will need? The say at least a gallon per person per day. I have two creeks near my house. So worst case I can make trips to the creek. But what do you actually have in your house. I have a few ideas.

Fishtanks. Ihave three large tanks. Which in a bad situation would be turned into drinking or cleaning water. 100 gallons there. So for my family that is a months worth.

Water heater. Ours is 80 gallons. So that is almost another few weeks.

So without storing anything I'm at 45 days or so. Now I have bottled water stored as well in my basement which we rotate. So that's another 45 days.

What does everyone have? Ideas?

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Water I have all I will ever need and it aint going away. May need to do some pumping by hand in a worst case but will have water.
If you have creeks near by chances are a sand point well would work for you.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
I am exploring a hand pump that you can install next to the electrical pump. By exploring I mean convincing hubby that this is a good use of money.
Very good idea SHTF or not one of those things that would be a good project no madder what.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I have mostly single gallons put away for now. Still trying to get my rainwater collection system up and going. Trying to figure out a spigot system, to let the excess flow to the garden. Also going to look for small (~5gal) tanks I can set above toilet level and pump water to to have flushing toilets.

I'm figuring on a gallon a day for drinking with ~3 for misc (cook/clean etc) and am only prepping for my fiancé and I. My roommate will be on his own for now. He's making more money than I am and hasn't started prepping. Let's hope SHTF no time soon, because I'll only have water for a few weeks if we don't flush often, or cook every day.

Good idea on the water heater. For some reason, I never thought of water from there haha

·
Registered
171 Posts
I got about 30 gal stored.i have about 6 five gal pail that i got from. work and six 5 gal camping jugs .now those are all empty for now except for the gallons will fill up when i think its time.for now i keep buying gallons and using soda bottles to store water.i think ill have a month worth prob more but planning to have more as my budget allow it.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I keep four or five cases of bottled water on hand, and add to it if weather conditions suggest I may need more. I also have two 6-gallon plastic Jerry cans I can use.

I have a rainwater catchment system that works really well. Just have to boil the water, since rainwater contains bacteria. It drains into two white food grade plastic drums, 35 gallons each. I boil the water and then let it cool, then filter it through activated carbon gravity fed filters for drinking/cooking/coffee water.

And I live right next to two rivers and a lake, if all else fails. I have a 2.5 HP electric pump to draw fresh water through if I need to, for firefighting, irrigation, or wash down water purposes.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I've read that nasty chemicals are in the plastic of bottled water,and especially bad when it sits around. Glass is best--maybe save up wine and booze bottles or canning jars. Food grade plastic still has chemicals
that can leach out
I have read similar things, but when you balance it all out, I still prefer plastic. I do not plan to leave the water in the barrels for extended storage - we will be consuming it, so leaching will be minimized. Boiling and filtration will likely remove trace levels of contaminants. Long term the best solution would be stainless steel tanks, but I have not found any supplier of stainless steel tanks that offer cost-effective options for homeowners, so plastic is fine for my emergency use purposes.

Here is a good article on the subject for those who are contemplating the long-term storage issues - I plan to just focus on short-term storage and low volumes, given expected consumption rates.

Water, Water, Everywhere: Long Term Water Storage - Off The Grid News

·
Super Moderator
2,918 Posts
Good question since water is critical.

We keep a large supply of bottled water. We also live in a hurricane area so we try to be prepared. We also have a 30k pool from which we can pull water and sterilize for consumption. I've been thinking (a dangerous event) that I could direct rain water from the gutters to the pool as well.

We also have a water maker on the boat. Makes enough to be comfortable.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I was mainly referring to bottled water from a store. "Balance it out"? How do you balance out bad chemicals?
You can't and you're right also no one knows how long the water has been bottled for before it goes onto the shops shelves,

"Most types of plastic bottles are safe to reuse at least a few times if properly washed with hot soapy water. But recent revelations about chemicals in Lexan (plastic #7) bottles are enough to scare even the most committed environmentalists from reusing them (or buying them in the first place"
The quote was taken from Reusing Plastic Bottles - Reusing Plastic Bottles Can Pose Serious Health Hazards it's worth a read if you have the time.

Storing in glass is best and safest for the long term.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts