Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently storing rice (white, long grain) in used, cleaned out 2 liters. I'm wondering if a certain type of rice stores better than the other and if so, does anyone have a chart or something to go by?

·
Registered
369 Posts
I used a LDS calculator to determine how much food to store. There is one on one of the links somewhere on this site. I have mine in 5 gallon buckets. I put a 20 lb sack in 1 bucket and it had a little room to spare. It might hold 25 lbs.

·
Registered
693 Posts
think about storing these in many smaller packages, I know some use 55 gallon drums, but if a mouse were to chew into it, you'd lose that ENTIRE amount of food. If you get 5 gal storage like amym, then you would only lose that. I know it sucks storing a lot of little containers of stuff, but it makes them portable and if you mess up your mylar seal, you won't lose a years' worth of food stores....Just a thought :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
I store white rice in one gallon mylar bags (vacuumed) with oxygen absorbers in them hoping they will last 8-10 years. The expiration date on the 25# bags is 2 years without anything special done to them. Brown rice does not store well. Store enough for your neighbors because they won't. #10 cans of grains are stored this way (vacuumed and oxygen absorbers ) from Emergency Essentials in Utah.

·
Registered
130 Posts
We vaccum sealed our rice and store in 4 gallon square buckets. We have used some though so I will have to replace it soon..

·
Registered
6 Posts
+1 on the storing in mylar bags. Also its a good idea to use food grade buckets with oxygen absorbers inside of both the bucket and the mylar bags. If you have any big chain grocery stores around, one day go in and talk to some of the bakery people and see if you can score some, they should have the ones that icing and stuff come in, cause most of the time they just throw them out. Using 2 liters really isn't a safe way, over time light gets to the food and the plastic slowly degrades letting in air and moisture.

Charles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts