Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an issue.

When storing rice & wheat in mylar bags in food grade buckets it recommends placing a small piece of dry ice on top of the product and then sealing up the bag when the dry ice nugget is the size of a nickel.

However, I am prepping on a budget and will only be doing a bucket at a time over time. I can only buy dry ice in my area in $20 sizes and up. I don't want to spend $20 to do one bucket when that $20 could go to canned goods or other food.

Is there another method for gettting the oxygen out of the bucket? Perhaps placing oxygen absorbing packets in multiple layers when filling?

Help please.

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
I have an issue.

When storing rice & wheat in mylar bags in food grade buckets it recommends placing a small piece of dry ice on top of the product and then sealing up the bag when the dry ice nugget is the size of a nickel.

However, I am prepping on a budget and will only be doing a bucket at a time over time. I can only buy dry ice in my area in $20 sizes and up. I don't want to spend $20 to do one bucket when that $20 could go to canned goods or other food.

Is there another method for gettting the oxygen out of the bucket? Perhaps placing oxygen absorbing packets in multiple layers when filling?

Help please.
throw in a few oxy eaters and use a co2 fire extinguisher to purge the bag. a two liter size bottle will do about 400 pounds of rice.

·
Registered
61 Posts
oxygen absorbers or hand warmers (which are also oxygen absorbers).

Here is a very handy video on how to do this right

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
I have a bunch of handwarmers somewhere, but I can't locate them. It's 25 degrees out and firearm deer is in 22 hours and I need at least 2 of them for my food gathering expedition Thursday.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Nitrogen will remove oxygen if you can get it in a gas dispenser. I saw that on one of the Prepper shows. I've been using vacuum sealing in 2 cup amounts as that also removes the oxygen from the bag then storing it in food grade containers.

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
I noticed some of the dollars stores are selling handwarmers, 3 for a $1 now. I would try those out.
Thank you for the tip. I was at Big Lots and WalMart yesterday, it was the first time in ages I didn't even enter the sporting goods department.

We have a couple dollar stores local as well as a farm store.

·
Registered
212 Posts
not trying to sound like a dick......BUT
if you plan on doing a bunch of sealing in your life time.
FoodSaver®

I'm on my second one since I was using the one in my pre teens.
Trying to cut corners on some things just takes up valuable time to do other things.
Get it done right the first time & done quick.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts