Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have several vp jugs I filled up non ethanol/stabil additive gasoline, but I don't have a external shed and at the time they are either on the floor of carport, in a rack, or in a cabinet in the carport. I dont have doors on the carport and so their is lots of air circulating in it. What do you guys do to store fuel jugs?

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
10,111 Posts
This is an area I'm lacking in.
I've got a generator, but only one VP jug of extra fuel for it. Nothing stocked away for long-term use. That one jug is sealed with the hose and cap that came with it, and just on the concrete garage floor. Probably not the best spot for it.
I'll keep an eye on this thread for some pearls of wisdom. Heck, I might even try the "Follow" feature in the top corner, just to see what it does.

·
Super Moderator
9,266 Posts
Build a shed or something or purchase a plastic shed and assemble it as far as possible from the residence. Please check your home owners policy. When I was storing fuel in my previous residence, the policy would be void if more than one gallon of gasoline or kerosene was stored within the residence. But that was 7-8 years ago. I used two 55 gallon metal drums, I got thru work. They fit nicely in a plastic tall shed about the size of a wide closet. Cost $200 at home de pot.

·
Administrator
15,482 Posts
I keep six 5 gallon plastic cans full of non ethanol for the mowers and generator. They just sit outside near my workshop, on the ground, exposed to the elements.
The plastic jugs sold for gasoline at any hardware store start to dry out and leak after about five years of this.
I also have five NATO jerry cans of diesel for the wife’s truck, “stored “ the same way.

Reactions: newtopreppin

·
Registered
11,015 Posts
I have several vp jugs I filled up non ethanol/stabil additive gasoline, but I don't have a external shed and at the time they are either on the floor of carport, in a rack, or in a cabinet in the carport. I dont have doors on the carport and so their is lots of air circulating in it. What do you guys do to store fuel jugs?
I've had good success inverting a number two galvanized washtub down over the top any anything that would fit under it.Might try that.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
When storing fuel, especially gasoline you need to battle three things
Vapor, Static, and Time
Keep that in mind whatever you decide.
BoF

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll have to check into the home insurance policy, I live in town and having an extra shed may not be an option but Maybe I can think of something. Someone said you battle time when storing jugs, I wonder if you can use armor all on your plastic jugs to make them last longer? I have yet to see one not function after many years though. Also, maybe its good to have jugs sitting on some wood plywood to avoid static?

·
Super Moderator
3,720 Posts
If you search online for deck boxes and outdoor storage cabinets you will find storage that doesn't need a permit. Something like this would be ideal for storing extra gas.

·
Registered
354 Posts
One of the biggest factor contributing to the breakdown of fuels is heat. Try to keep the fuel out of the Sun and cool as possible. Even with fuel stabilizer the gasoline will not last very long (Fuel-stabilized gasoline keeps for one to three years.) source: Solved! How Long Does Gasoline Last?

Reactions: newtopreppin

·
Registered
238 Posts
Question, I store ethanol free gas in NATO Jerry cans. I don't add any stabilizer, I cycle out after a year by pouring into my truck and refill the cans. Is 1 year too long? Too short? Should I add stabilizer? Seems like ethanol free with no stabilizer would be the most desirable?

·
Registered
9,404 Posts
Question, I store ethanol free gas in NATO Jerry cans. I don't add any stabilizer, I cycle out after a year by pouring into my truck and refill the cans. Is 1 year too long? Too short? Should I add stabilizer? Seems like ethanol free with no stabilizer would be the most desirable?
A lot is going to depend on the environment it's stored in. Larger temperature swings will reduce the shelf life. Personally, I'd use it after 6 months and replace it the next trip to the pump.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
@PAPrepper
If you’re not already having issues you’re probably ok. My personal opinion is a year is pushing the edge.
Bad gas will start to change color, specifically it will get darker.
BoF

·
Super Moderator
9,732 Posts
@PAPrepper
If you’re not already having issues you’re probably ok. My personal opinion is a year is pushing the edge.
Bad gas will start to change color, specifically it will get darker.
BoF
Then you'll be upset with me. I tend to forget or intend to and forget to rotate my stash. Usually it's about 3-4 years later and no real issues.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Then you'll be upset with me. I tend to forget or intend to and forget to rotate my stash. Usually it's about 3-4 years later and no real issues.
Not upset with anyone brother.
As said before there are a lot of variables to consider.
“If it’s already working for you then you’re probably good”
I don’t like going longer that a year and I run old has through my Ford truck. It’s not too picky on what goes into it.
BoF

·
Super Moderator
State of Grace
6,817 Posts
Hubs just keeps ours on wooden boards stacked and covered with a tarp. Best to keep that outdoors.

·
Super Moderator
9,732 Posts
Not upset with anyone brother.
As said before there are a lot of variables to consider.
“If it’s already working for you then you’re probably good”
I don’t like going longer that a year and I run old has through my Ford truck. It’s not too picky on what goes into it.
BoF
Just kidding my friend. The only reason it goes that long is because I do forget. So far it's worked out. I drive a 17 yr old 4Runner.

·
Registered
9,404 Posts
I have converted the generators over to propane. propane has a much longer shelf life. I hear it produce 98% of the "power" of gas.
There's a reason dual-fuel gennies have two output ratings. The energy densities aren't that close.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Like many of you, I use the standard 5gal red gas cans. I store them in my barn. I have a neighbor that has an actual gas tank as well as a fuel tank outside. He has to meet certain EPA guidelines. I may look into this. Growing up on the farm, our gas tank was underground (our fuel tank was above ground). We started not being able to account for all the gas. The reality was that someone was stealing the gas. However, we ended up digging up the tank in case it was leaking (which it was not). I’ll also be following this thread in hopes of seeing some inventive (and safe) gasoline storage solutions.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts