Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what is the best way to store flour, and how long can it be stored? I know storing the grain is best, and using a mill when needed, but I don't currently have that option.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
We just put it in a mylar bag with an O2 absorber and then inside a food grade bucket with a Gamma lid. Supposedly, it stores for about 5 years that way.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
After putting it in the bags, check back in a month and add more to the bag. It settles quite a bit. Should of seen Inor's face when he opened a bucket for me - it's not full! LOL

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
how long can you store grain for? what is the process for turning it into flour? I see grain mills online for about 100.00. good investment?

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
how long can you store grain for? what is the process for turning it into flour? I see grain mills online for about 100.00. good investment?
I buy hard red wheat from the Mormons in #10 cans with an O2 absorber. They claim it lasts for 30 years, but I think that is WAY on the low side.

As far as making it into flour, just pour it into the mill and crank, and crank, and crank, and then crank some more. (That is my job.) Also when you go to make something from it either mix in some gluten or mix it with regular white flour. Otherwise whatever you make will be heavy as a brick. Mrs Inor can post the ratios of white flour to ground flour or gluten to ground flour.

My point is, do not just store the wheat off for SHTF. Do use it now to learn how it is different from the store bought stuff you are used to. Also, it takes a few meals for your body to get used to processing it. The first couple times we ate from it, my belly blew up like a balloon! Mrs Inor, well let's just say adding fiber to her diet was not a concern anymore. After about 3-4 meals, we were fine.

·
Super Moderator
9,646 Posts
I have been wanting to make bread for a long time. At times I consider a sourdough starter but at my age, I tend to forget to go get the stuff.

My fear with bread making has always been producing bricks. Any tips will be welcome. :D

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
If life gives you bread bricks - make bread crumbs out of it. Sourdough keeps forever in the fridge. I last went four months before remembering to "feed" it. Then added some sourish milk I had in the fridge and more flour and it was fine. Lot's of videos on bread making.

·
Super Moderator
9,646 Posts
If life gives you bread bricks - make bread crumbs out of it. Sourdough keeps forever in the fridge. I last went four months before remembering to "feed" it. Then added some sourish milk I had in the fridge and more flour and it was fine. Lot's of videos on bread making.
Aww, you're gonna make me get up off my butt and do this, aren't ya.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Flour will "store" for several years but in the ground state it will lose most of its nutritional value in 1-2 years.

The better way to go is storing the whole grains and making flour, as the natural husk will preserve the nutritional value for years.

Another thing to consider is don't worry about flour, keep the whole grains and sprout them, after a few days the nutritional value goes up 6X times the value of the ground grain.

Bread may be a luxury you can't afford, just saying.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
Flour will "store" for several years but in the ground state it will lose most of its nutritional value in 1-2 years.

The better way to go is storing the whole grains and making flour, as the natural husk will preserve the nutritional value for years.

Another thing to consider is don't worry about flour, keep the whole grains and sprout them, after a few days the nutritional value goes up 6X times the value of the ground grain.

Bread may be a luxury you can't afford, just saying.
Great info Rancher! The only quibble I have is with bread being a luxury. I REFUSE to give up bread! Bread is the epitome of man's accomplishments - even better than Tang or Cocoa Puffs. Moses had bread and he went through a 40 year SHTF. I get bread. So there. :)

·
Registered
24,529 Posts
Great info Rancher! The only quibble I have is with bread being a luxury. I REFUSE to give up bread! Bread is the epitome of man's accomplishments - even better than Tang or Cocoa Puffs. Moses had bread and he went through a 40 year SHTF. I get bread. So there. :)
Well, I'd go with tequila, but everyone is entitled to an opinion. :roll:

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Well technically Moses had Mana from heaven but I realize there are a LOT of people that worship their buns, and loaves, etc. I can go weeks without eating bread.

As to Tang and Cocoa puffs, I don't eat them either haha.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Your loss Sir. My 3 year-old grandson just reintroduced me to Cocoa Puffs. I think they should now be a separate category of the required food groups! :)
I buy fruity pebbles and hide the box so the kids don't see it, they are MINE! I can also attest to the ground hard red wheat making bricks without adding white flour, have not tried gluten yet. A $100 dollar grain mill may not be able to make a good baking flour, I would check reviews on it well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.