Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Honey and PB store forever. Canned chicken and tuna lasts a while.

Bread is the key to making small amounts of stuff into a big meal. It is a great filler and delivery mechanism for the above mention food items and others.

How do you store it? What substitute can you use? Ideas? Crackers only last about a year before going stale. How long do they last after that without getting inedible? Is there bread that is packaged to last long while unopened?

·
Registered
21,643 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
We focus on storing the wheat, dry milk, and other ingredients we'll need to make our own bread. Why settle for MRE "wheat snack bread" when you can have fresh baked bread out of your solar oven?!?!

·
Registered
212 Posts
The only issue I have is to keep cultivating the yeast to make it.

I do need to get another mill to grind my own.
For if the power goes kaput.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Making yeast is not hard to do. Another good idea is a sour dough starter makes great bread, roll and pancakes. Once you make your sour dough you keep the starter for a life time.

·
Administrator
15,029 Posts
I'm going to let y'all in on a little secret - now don't tell any body - although I'm a Floridian, all my ancestors came from Maine.
And there is a New England invention called Brown Bread. It comes in a can, and is usually eaten along with Boston baked beans, but it is good for other things, too. I have no idea of the shelf life, years for sure. B&M is the brand we buy. We keep it on hand.
Baked Beans Varieties and Brown Bread in a Can by B&M* | B & M Beans

·
Super Moderator
3,431 Posts
Everyone should have a sour dough starter.

·
Registered
7,617 Posts
Brown Bread in a can will last for years and still taste okay. Another form of storable bread is Yehuda Matsos. Jewish people eat it at Passover. It's completely dry, 100% flour, and will last for years. I prep it as a vehicle for peanut butter.

·
Registered
450 Posts
the choice is yours. You have to eat it before 2020 *gg*. It cost <2€ oder so. There are a lot of Products who are good to store a long time. The lifetime for canned food is very good.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts