Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Probably an ideal kibble for your bug out bag. I like to keep a couple of pounds in the bug out vehicle.
Make your own though cause its expensive.

·
Registered
492 Posts
There's a smokehouse between here and Dallas that makes the best buffalo jerky. Can't drive up there to yankee land without buying a couple of pounds cause 1 just won't last till we get back home.

punch

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
There's a smokehouse between here and Dallas that makes the best buffalo jerky. Can't drive up there to yankee land without buying a couple of pounds cause 1 just won't last till we get back home.

punch
WOODY'S SMOKEHOUSE IN CENTERVILLE!
Love that place! Buck-ees is cleaner but no where near as good!

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I like to wet-brine mine in the fridge for about 10 to 14 days. Technically after curing the meat like this it is safe to eat - but I don't. Then I smoke it over hickory or pecan (no water pan) for a few hours. When it is good and dry you can seal it in a vac-pouch with an oxygen grabber. It should keep like that for years - especially if you stick it in the fridge or freezer.

The brine kills all germies and breaks down the fiber (adding flavor).
Then the smoke kills all the germies (adding flavor).
And the heat eliminates the moisture, kills all the germies and breaks down the fiber (adding flavor).

By the time you are done there is nothing growing on the meat and the salt preserves it that way plus it is now bone dry and smoked. Vac-Paking it only keeps it fresh and from oxidizing.

Be careful! Never let your heat get above about 180. At 200 degress the meat actually starts to cook instead of dehydrate and cure.

Another good thing to do this with is sausages because yo can hang them in the smoker.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.