Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not on any medications except my asthma meds. Right now my allergies are going wild and I have been looking for remedies for my asthma and my inhaler. The gumweed tincture works great for my congestion but I have been researching stinging nettles for allergies. Today I harvested a bunch from my yard and am making a tincture and will see if that cuts down my seasonal allergies attacks which have been pretty bad right now. The only 2 meds I take are allergy pills and my inhaler, I hope these will be the solution since the cost of my over the counter meds have gone up about 125 %.

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
I have asthma also, but early spring brings out the issues with allergies. I do carry an inhaler, however during this time of the year I also use an electric inhaler, brand name "Inspiration." You just squeeze a few drops of the medicine you're already using in your inhaler or replacement bottle, and the nebulizer allows you to easily fill your lungs without stress.

The lungs aren't my real problem since I left my teens, for me it's my nose. Right now both nostrils are cracked open and items like Vaseline are simply hit or miss.

If you're got a magic bullet, feel free to share your successes.--Chico

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm a big fan of stinging nettle - I make tea and eat the boiled leaves just like spinach. Love it! I also used to suffer from asthma and allergies all my life, until I removed gluten from my diet; now my allergies are all but gone. Have you tried going gluten free? I have not been diagnosed with celiacs, but I went GF just to see what would happen and it's made a big difference!

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I never had allergies until I got older. Mine is seasonal, plants blooming and trees budding and again in the fall. I don't think I could give up gluten since it seems to be in most the food I like. I made a stinging nettle tea last night, not to bad.

Reactions: inceptor

·
Registered
Firearms & Self Defense.
4,614 Posts
I am not on any medications except my asthma meds. Right now my allergies are going wild and I have been looking for remedies for my asthma and my inhaler. The gumweed tincture works great for my congestion but I have been researching stinging nettles for allergies. Today I harvested a bunch from my yard and am making a tincture and will see if that cuts down my seasonal allergies attacks which have been pretty bad right now. The only 2 meds I take are allergy pills and my inhaler, I hope these will be the solution since the cost of my over the counter meds have gone up about 125 %.
Can you provide pics of the plants? I may have a yard full of medicine and not realize it. I have some allergies, and I think that too much medication is a part of bringing them on. I start sneezing along with a runny nose, for reasons that escape me.

I may have become allergic without meds being the cause. But the meds have to be suspected, since I have been rocked by some of them.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is a phone app called picture this. You can use the free version. It isn't 100% accurate but has been with the sting nettles. Or you can buy the dried herb on line. Wear gloves when harvesting. Once you dry or boil the plant the sting goes away.

·
Super Moderator
9,490 Posts
I use picture this. I've found it to be about 98-99% accurate so I keep it. The other 2 I use are iNaturalist and Seek.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Doesnt local grown Honey also help with allergies?

Reactions: inceptor and Auntie
1 - 10 of 10 Posts