Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good thing , we've had frost the last 2 nights. I just brought my seedlings in overnight. I saw lots of people covering their plants up with plastic in hopes of saving them.

I know better than to chance anything in True West MI before June comes around.:roll:

ETA- Terri DeBoer the weather gal said it was good to go on putting in the garden 2 weeks ago. I didn't listen to her, but I did turn off the furnace for the season. Bad move, it's been cold and I had to bake some sweet breads and biscuits to get heat from the oven.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Im in North Texas and we got a really late start here this year. Winter was mild (even for us natives!) but we got many freezes here way into the year. I did the smart thing and kept mine in until I was sure we had the LAST one! Its paying off for me now, the neighbors are still nursing theirs back and mines already giving up ripe tomatoes.

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
I got mine in the first crack of dawn after the last cold, my corn is about waist high now. Loving it.

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I brought my seedlings in for the night, we have a frost warning again until 8AM Sunday.

My peas are about 3" tall now and doing fine with the frost.

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are more veggies I should grow. I think Kale is good for calcium.

I'm glad Kale enjoys a frost because I sure don't, especially after I turned off the furnace for the season.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
We have the fireplace going tonight, last few nights I have had to turn the furnace on. Looking ahead I think I am now safe to put my seedlings in tomorrow. Last year this time everything was out and growing great. Where the hell is this global warming?

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
I listen to Laura, only.

The latest I have lost garden plants to frost was May 29th here in Ionia county.

In my opinion we get one frost after the 20th of May three out of five years,

This is a cold and wet spring,

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Aquahull, if you like spinach thats a good one. A better plant with simular qualities but with a much higher vitamin content is Swiss Chard. Use it the same way you would spinach. There is a green and white variety and then there is a very colorful variety with bright red stems that looks awesome even as a decorative landscaping with the added benefit of being edible! In fact thats where I first saw it...at a "rich and shameless" gated neighborhood used in the landscaping at the entrance and common areas of the community.

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
Man, this has been a crazy season! Back like four months ago I got my crops in the ground and got all excited. Here in North Georgia the winter finally ended like April 10. I got seeds in the ground like two weeks earlier knowing it would get cold on me one more time. I figured the birds and squirrels dug it all up but low and behold almost everything I planted came up with a ravening vengeance. They even survived a flash flood that threw my boulders around along the creek. Now I'm sitting on some really pretty crops going DAMN...this isn't much I need to plan more. I underplanted. I got maybe 100lb muscadine grape, maybe 30lb apples, probably 20 ears of corn and a lot of various squashes. Maybe 30lb of ripe figs and another bushel of edible weeds like wood sorrel and chickweed. I thought I was rollin but turns out I was slackin. I could have had this place rigged for a damn nice crop but I acted late too. I had no way of knowing it would be a good year. I may plant more but it seems a little late in the season for more plantings.

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
There are more veggies I should grow. I think Kale is good for calcium.

I'm glad Kale enjoys a frost because I sure don't, especially after I turned off the furnace for the season.
I been growing and eating on Kale for awhile now and decided it's my favorite raw leafy green. Screw any lettuce, I'll take kale. It's hardier, easy to handle and good with anything raw or cooked and as you said, packed with good stuff. I like the hardy flavor and stern crunch of it in a salad. Baby kale, raw adult kale and anything in between is a superior salad green in my book, I love clamping my teeth down on it with orange bits and raw onion and a creamy dressing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts