Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 21 of 22 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A major injury post SHTF - TEOTWAWKI is a death sentence.
I broke my back and right heel bone this week. I went to the hospital got X-rays- CT scans and sent home with pain meds.
Basically I am useless. I can’t put weight on my right leg and I can’t bend, twist, or lift.
If this had happened to me post WOTROL I would be toast.
Laying on your ass gives you too much time to think. All my preps, guns, ammo wouldn’t do me a lick of good.
Food for thought - BoF

·
Registered
6,358 Posts
I'm not real up on a lot of medical stuff.
They sent you home with a broken back?

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
10,608 Posts
Point taken. Risky and/or unhealthy life choices in a world without a robust healthcare infrastructure would equate to a death wish in SHTF.

Hope the healing goes well.

Reactions: KUSA and 7515

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
Well, Box-Of-Frogs, I cannot give you a "very real" method of health and medical supervision, but I do know of a rather low cost way that usually works. Suppose you break some bone, be that in your arm, shoulder or torso. If that happens. see if you can find one of the local MC officers, and hope that he had some visage in Viet Nam.

A guy like that can do surgery on both of your lungs--at the same time! Yeah, yeah, he'll pour you a little bit of "Saigon Home Brew" that might kill you, but then, you might get lucky for mere pennies on the dollar.

I had a little Terrier that weighed about 12 pounds tops. She got into my cousin's "home brew," killed a Rottweiler and started to eat him before I could pull her off!

My advice? Don't mess with even a milk-sop mama's boy if he gets into the brew. If you cannot kill a drunken rounder with glassy eyes and brew spilled on his loins, then simply kill yourself. That probably works the best...

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Point taken. Risky and/or unhealthy life choices in a world without a robust healthcare infrastructure would equate to a death wish in SHTF.

Hope the healing goes well.
thanks for the well wishes.
The point of this post isn’t for pity. I hurt myself and it wasn’t risky or unhealthy. More a series of errors.
I fell ten feet to the ground out of a hunting stand. I thought I had maneuvered the stand back to ground level but in the dark I was very mistaken. I was also using a monochromatic red lens flash light and that effects depth perception.
Dispite taking what I considered reasonable precautions I hurt myself to the point that in a SHTF situation there is nothing in my preps that will put me back whole.
food for thought. BoF.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Well, Box-Of-Frogs, I cannot give you a "very real" method of health and medical supervision, but I do know of a rather low cost way that usually works. Suppose you break some bone, be that in your arm, shoulder or torso. If that happens. see if you can find one of the local MC officers, and hope that he had some visage in Viet Nam.

A guy like that can do surgery on both of your lungs--at the same time! Yeah, yeah, he'll pour you a little bit of "Saigon Home Brew" that might kill you, but then, you might get lucky for mere pennies on the dollar.

I had a little Terrier that weighed about 12 pounds tops. She got into my cousin's "home brew," killed a Rottweiler and started to eat him before I could pull her off!

My advice? Don't mess with even a milk-sop mama's boy if he gets into the brew. If you cannot kill a drunken rounder with glassy eyes and brew spilled on his loins, then simply kill yourself. That probably works the best...
Probably need to stop drinking so much before posting. But for a four year old, good job…

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
10,608 Posts
thanks for the well wishes.
The point of this post isn’t for pity. I hurt myself and it wasn’t risky or unhealthy. More a series of errors.
I fell ten feet to the ground out of a hunting stand. I thought I had maneuvered the stand back to ground level but in the dark I was very mistaken. I was also using a monochromatic red lens flash light and that effects depth perception.
Dispite taking what I considered reasonable precautions I hurt myself to the point that in a SHTF situation there is nothing in my preps that will put me back whole.
food for thought. BoF.
10ft off the ground in the dark.
"Risk" varies greatly depending on the infrastructure at your disposal to resolve complications that arise from the risk.
When antibiotics aren't available, walking barefoot can be too risky.

Reactions: 7515

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Absolutely @Kauboy. Risk is a subject defined by the taker and conditions at the time. For a 90 year old man descending a flight of stairs is a greater risk compared to the same event performed by a 18 year old.
Cover said staircase in motor oil and now even the 18 year old is subjected to higher risk than before.

As I lie here flat on my ass I am grateful for the conversation we can share. It helps to pass the boredom.

The message is that shit is going to happen that proves us incapable of being prepared for the event or that conditions we can’t plan for will alter the ability to use even the simplest of preps

In my current state mobility is the key issue. I have been told to not bear any weight on my right leg for the next month. At the next orthopedist visit he will access progress and healing and determine if that changes or it’s another month off that leg.
Hopping around on crutches is a option but it is painful for my broken back. So I have ordered a knee scooter. Crutches, back brace, foot stabilizing boot, and a scooter would not have been a prep I would have considered before now.
BoF

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
As I lie here flat on my ass I am grateful for the conversation we can share. It helps to pass the boredom.

Sorry to hear about your accident. On the upside I see pictures of women's legs in high heels next to the messages posted here. Personally, I liked the muscular girls, although there was a picture of a bride falling out of her dress.

I do have to surmise in the change of my behavior. I'm planning on applying for some volunteer services (yet again) although we are now in the guise of "computer everything." I used to enjoy the rampant scurry of that five floor behemoth, however now there are fantastic upper-end computers everywhere!

Granted, I have a splint personality. It's fun to tell jokes here, but it's all business in hospitals and labs. I'm hoping there's no "age level" posted there, the excitement is fun!

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
I can empathize with you. I had a back injury that paralyzed my left leg. I couldn’t walk or do much of anything. I had surgery and eventually healed up. I still have some nerve damage but can get around normally. I wish you a speedy recovery.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I can empathize with you. I had a back injury that paralyzed my left leg. I couldn’t walk or do much of anything. I had surgery and eventually healed up. I still have some nerve damage but can get around normally. I wish you a speedy recovery.
Just curious, how long were you out of commission before you could walk on your own? Being paralyzed in a limb would be very frightening.
Once I hit and caught my breath I grabbed my legs to make sure I could feel them. Knowing I was not paralyzed was a immediate relief, laying in the dark I was thanking Jesus for sparing me that fate.
BoF

·
Super Moderator
3,782 Posts
I am so sorry to hear about your injuries. I agree that certain injuries would make life very difficult if not impossible for someone that is alone. You will find the knee scooter makes life easier unless you need to traverse a few stairs.

I have a tote that I am filling with different braces. You can pick them up for next to nothing at yard/estate/garage sales.

Now would be a great time to learn to read, sew, crochet, knit, whittle etc.

Prayers for a speedy recovery!

·
Super Moderator
9,408 Posts
I am not out of commission yet (getting too damn old plus back problems), I will be there soon enough. The one thing that might make me valuable to those around me is my knowledge and experience.

Reactions: inceptor

·
Super Moderator
3,782 Posts
LOL I should have had at least 2 cups of coffee before trying to typing a sentence. I have enough trouble when I am not tired to the point of exhaustion. My nephew broke his foot a few weeks ago and I am doing his chores/jobs as well as mine. I am not 20 anymore.

Reactions: 7515

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Just curious, how long were you out of commission before you could walk on your own? Being paralyzed in a limb would be very frightening.
Once I hit and caught my breath I grabbed my legs to make sure I could feel them. Knowing I was not paralyzed was a immediate relief, laying in the dark I was thanking Jesus for sparing me that fate.
BoF
I was out of commission for a couple of months. After that I could get around some but it was slow. Still to this day, my left foot feels numb and tingly like it is asleep. My leg works but is not as strong as it was before and never will be.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
LOL I should have had at least 2 cups of coffee before trying to typing a sentence. I have enough trouble when I am not tired to the point of exhaustion. My nephew broke his foot a few weeks ago and I am doing his chores/jobs as well as mine. I am not 20 anymore.
It’s all good @Auntie. I knew what you meant.
I hope your nephew mends quickly
BoF

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
I was hunting at LBL on a quota hunt last year. I was in my ever reliable and safe Summit Goliath tree climbing stand. (You know the type, Sit, lift foot climber, climb using the top part repeat.) Got up and seated just fine. When it was time to come down, I turned around and realized I didn't have the knee strength anymore to pull the foot climber out of the bark of the tree after having stood on it. Then, the foot climber fell down the tree. No worries, It was tethered to the top part. I couldn't bend down enough to reach it. I was screwed. Finally my buddy showed up and helped me get down.

TEOTWAWKI is a young man's life changing event. If the balloon goes up I was all prepared to bug out to my farm and live off the land. I'm staying right here at home. I'm too injury prone with too many mobility issues now. I am right there with you.

Reactions: inceptor
1 - 21 of 22 Posts