Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey if it's post-grid after the chinese / allied WW3 reduces the world to sticks and stones these guys will still be in action. there's quite a few left working these days they were built to last.

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there were some old fords there definitely.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I can barely keep up with the ranch chores around here with modern diesel tractors. I don’t think I could survive with steam tractors. At that point, I would go back to horses.

·
Banned
23,899 Posts
@Leon was the reason I came to this site. He had posted some interesting things about foraging. Now, he is a yarn-spinner/director for the movie industry in Georgia. How cool is that?

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
My father hand built a scale model return flue minneapolis steam engine. bought a boiler, made the wheels and differential from scratch etc. I think back and am amazed at how much he knew. We went to steam shows sometimes bringing what he built. A big show was in Manitoba, some massive stuff there, guy riding on the carriage sawing lumber. For a kid 15 yrs old this was outstanding. Always wanted to build one myself, have a scale model that I can drive around the kitchen floor. He was an Iron worker out of Milwaukee and had machine shop tools to do it. Wished to hell I'd have paid closer attention. Good memories.....Thanks!

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Just FYI, steam has twice the power of gas, gives power on each forward and back stroke of the piston. All you really need is wood and water to run it. Ok, my dad was a steam nut, some of it rubbed off on me.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
I'll bet most folks have never seen or heard of a gas powered washing machine motor. You got me on a roll now! Maytag made them , believe it or not.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Most don't get it when stuff like that was used not much was really done by one person. Today a few people farm 1,000's of acres . Lot of old tractors kept around here. Many shows every year. My older JD was a 1960's gave it to daughter and son in law he still uses it all of the time. Up until father in law died we still used a 1940 Case loader on the farm.
Still cool to see the tractors and understand how we got where we are

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Not sure what year tractor it was we had, but had no electric starter, had a fly-wheel you spun to start it. JD "B" I think. Used to watch them at tractor pulls , pop...pop...pop, must have had a stroke as long as your arm. Think they were real popular in the day.

·
Registered
11,938 Posts
@Leon was the reason I came to this site. He had posted some interesting things about foraging. Now, he is a yarn-spinner/director for the movie industry in Georgia. How cool is that?
Leon is the Harvey Weinstein of Georgia? Who wudda figured, huh?

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Wow, at that time we were thinking this is cool stuff, how could it get any better? I used to go to the local bowling alley and play pong for hours.

Kids nowadays would be bored to death.

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
I'll bet most folks have never seen or heard of a gas powered washing machine motor. You got me on a roll now! Maytag made them , believe it or not.
Hah! yes I have seen them!

Foot pedal to start it, used a vertical plunger for agitation.

Roller wringer powered by hand.

My mother had one!!!!

Remember I am old.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts