Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

Before I get to my question, a little bit about me for context.

I'm currently serving in the military, stationed in colorado, and will seperate from the Army pretty soon. I am a single soldier with no dependents living on base in the barracks.

I'm also a new prepper. I've been purchasing survival gear, 6 month supply of food, and a few tools for self defense. I've also been investing in gold, silver and bitcoin. What I'm prepping for is an economic collapse. I'm not very knowledgeable in the area of economics but for the past year I have been doing some research and consuming content of a few economic experts who have been watching the US economy's path. Digesting all this information I've come to believe this crisis will happen some time this year or next year at the latest.

Which brings me to my question. Should I reenlist in the Army? I do want to go back to civilian life but I wonder if now would be a bad time to do so. Would it be easier to endure a crisis like this as a servicemember rather than a civilian? There are supposed to be systems in place for this kind of event and its seems there is a widespread belief is that things would start to get back to normal after 6 months of hardship. I have my doubts about it being so short and obviously "normal" is relative. Things wouldn't be exactly as they were before. The Army always says it takes care of its soldiers and their families. I believe it, along with the government, would try but I have my doubts about that too. The coming crash is supposed to be REALLY bad. Will the government/military actually be able to pay/care for its servicemembers during this time? I think back to what I know about the great depression. Before WW2 it had been going on for 10 years and had no end in sight due in large part the government trying to manage it but doing so poorly. I understand this isn't the same country it was back them but it reminds of the saying "never underestimate how badly politicians can screw things up".

So which would be better? Reenlist in the Army and rely on it to help me through or should I become a civilian and link up with the local prepper community for assistance? Thoughts?

·
Registered
11,015 Posts
Thanks for Serving. Yes by all means stay in. Would take a wild guess you learned to do something useful and be able to get a good job when you finally bail out. Yall have access to much bigger and better guns that what we have. lol. There was a little cutie who hung out on here who as a tenny bopper native of the Ukrain when the USSR dissolved a couple of decades ago...who say barter is tops. Cigarettes..Vodka and Toliet Paper and in that order.

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
10,111 Posts
Which side do you want to be on when the collapse happens?

The military will be the government's "enforcement" arm. When U.S. cities fall apart, you'll be ordered into them. Will you follow all orders, legal or not?
If your question was simply one of survival, I'd say stay in. The government will keep its fighting force fed, one way or another.
But the question isn't that simple to me. Economic collapse will transform this nation. When nations go through such transformations, government goons get top priority and are often granted unjust authority.
What are you willing to do for your meal?

·
Registered
7,251 Posts
Most civilians jobs do not offer retirement. I would suggest staying in the military and work towards an Warrant officer or officer rank or do special duty that gets you promoted faster... ie recruiting or Drill instructor
20 years will fly by
If SHTF and you find that the military is acting in a way contrary to your beliefs... be prepared to get out or leave and take up arms on your own.

I did 12 years in the Marines and 9 in Army National Guard - I get my retirement check starting this August when I turn 60.... !!!!!

·
Administrator
15,482 Posts
I did my 3 year enlistment in the Army and got out.
1970 was not a good time to be in, at least for me.
I did a year at Fort Carson, going to the field with the artillery guns and sleeping in tents at minus 20 degrees was no place for a Florida Boy. I volunteered for Vietnam to get warm.
In 1967-1970 I was willing to die for our country. I don’t feel the same way today.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Stay in or get out? There’s a lot of things to consider. The first one is, do you have a craft that pays well in the civilian sector? If not, you might want to consider reenlisting.

·
Registered
11,015 Posts
Stay in or get out? There’s a lot of things to consider. The first one is, do you have a craft that pays well in the civilian sector? If not, you might want to consider reenlisting.
Great point. We have a couple of younger family friends who went in there and learned some cool stuff. One in particualar was on a Patriot Battery during Desert Storm. Learned a lot about printed circuit boards..got out and came over and worked on our municipal radio tower and partner of a three man prosperous company. Poor guy died a slow horrible death on some variant of ALS from inhaling smoke off the burn pits. Just slowly withered away early fifties age.

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
If you have any doubt get out. Life is short and passes quickly. Allow yourself time to enjoy it. Why be trapped??

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
If you have any doubt get out. Life is short and passes quickly. Allow yourself time to enjoy it. Why be trapped??
Military life ain’t so bad, especially if you are single. I would have stayed in if was single without kids. Being deployed and not seeing my kids was the deal breaker. Other than that, I made enough money and had everything I needed.

·
Registered
263 Posts
If you have any doubt get out. Life is short and passes quickly. Allow yourself time to enjoy it. Why be trappe
Great point. We have a couple of younger family friends who went in there and learned some cool stuff. One in particualar was on a Patriot Battery during Desert Storm. Learned a lot about printed circuit boards..got out and came over and worked on our municipal radio tower and partner of a three man prosperous company. Poor guy died a slow horrible death on some variant of ALS from inhaling smoke off the burn pits. Just slowly withered away early fifties age.
that's terrible Chipper...
RIP

·
Registered
11,015 Posts
Talked to nice young fellow recently who says the big technology wave at present and going to get astoundingly bigger quick is fiber optics. I grilled him close on how an average person could make money on it. He say buy a Trenching Machine. Sounded reasonable.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Stay in and you might get a 15 years TERA Temporarily early Release Authority if you are in the right MOS. Sandbag it if you have to.
Ex 11b...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts