Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Wow, I hadn't heard anything about this. It's only groups of people, not the whole states, so I wouldn't take it very seriously, but who knows, if this picks up steam and President Obama doesn't fix America like he said he would, then it could very well turn into something bigger. For now we'll just have to wait and see, thanks for posting though this is really fascinating.

Reactions: Prince Humperdink

·
Registered
433 Posts
I know for a fact that this type of movement has happened several times in recent years especially in Texas and some of the other southern states. If they draw up a petition that will allow these people to secede but they have to move to another country then I will sign it too.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The only serious attempt was in 1860 which formed the Confederate States of America. It collapased in 1865 after they lost the war. I don't think any of the current petitions are anything to take serious.

Reactions: preppermama

·
Registered
55 Posts
Montana is on the list,and I was told that it is in our constitution that we can legally succeed if the federal government becomes detrimental to the States survival and the rights of it's citizens.I do not see this happening though because the amount of Obama supporters here has become outrageous.I do know there was a lot of talk locally about this the last time that there was talk about limiting the second amendment though.

I do see that there are a lot of People straying from,and denying God and have replaced God with the Government .I have never seen People that have become so blinded that they will follow to their own demise happily,and I have never seen People so rabidly loyal to a President.I truly believe that the times of Revelations are quickly approaching.Sorry to stray off topic,but I do know that if succession ever did happen,Montana would be quite wealthy with our coal,oil,and wheat production.

I found this at one point.
"Also, for those interested in as to whom can secede from the United States, Montana is the lone state that can leave the United States, under specific circumstances. If the United States was to ever violate their contract with Montana, which declares all citizens of Montana have the right to bear arms, Montana could leave, and form their own Nation.".

·
Registered
55 Posts
Second Amendment an individual right

The U.S. Supreme Court will soon decide D.C. v. Heller, the first case in more than 60 years in which the court will confront the meaning of the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. Although Heller is about the constitutionality of the D.C. handgun ban, the court's decision will have an impact far beyond the District ("Promises breached," Op-Ed, Thursday).

The court must decide in Heller whether the Second Amendment secures a right for individuals to keep and bear arms or merely grants states the power to arm their militias, the National Guard. This latter view is called the "collective rights" theory.

A collective rights decision by the court would violate the contract by which Montana entered into statehood, called the Compact With the United States and archived at Article I of the Montana Constitution. When Montana and the United States entered into this bilateral contract in 1889, the U.S. approved the right to bear arms in the Montana Constitution, guaranteeing the right of "any person" to bear arms, clearly an individual right.

There was no assertion in 1889 that the Second Amendment was susceptible to a collective rights interpretation, and the parties to the contract understood the Second Amendment to be consistent with the declared Montana constitutional right of "any person" to bear arms.

As a bedrock principle of law, a contract must be honored so as to give effect to the intent of the contracting parties. A collective rights decision by the court in Heller would invoke an era of unilaterally revisable contracts by violating the statehood contract between the United States and Montana, and many other states.

Numerous Montana lawmakers have concurred in a resolution raising this contract-violation issue. It's posted at progunleaders.org. The United States would do well to keep its contractual promise to the states that the Second Amendment secures an individual right now as it did upon execution of the statehood contract.

BRAD JOHNSON

Montana secretary of state

Helena, Mont.

Read more: Montana talks of leaving the Union over gun rights ! (regular, solution, Nebraska) - Democrats, Republicans, Libertarians, Conservatives, Liberals, Third Parties, Left-Wing, Right-Wing, Congress, President - City-Data Forum

·
Registered
110 Posts
I think there may be more people who would support the seceding states today, though.
While I do believe that this secession occurring now could, key word could, turn into something larger, I will have to disagree with you when you say more people would support secession today. As far as resentment goes for the government, yes it is high, but I don't think it is nearly as high as it was back in the 1860's. Also, the country and military are a little more structured and formalized than it was in the 1860's, so it would be harder for the military and political figures to split in half from the main country. It's possible, but in my opinion not probable. Just my opinion.

Reactions: Prince Humperdink

·
Registered
433 Posts
HeyI say what ever melts your butter. However, the inhabitants of this"new" country has to also be in agreement not to ever use any thing/s that is paid for by federal taxes that I pay in such as roads, emergency rescue, military protection, or if they get old enough social security and medicaid. Also they will have to develop and back their own currency since they surely would not expect to use that of the USA. Go for it....America will be better off.

·
Registered
296 Posts
The tenth amendment ;)

I am on my phone right now so I cannot post the link but I just read a petition that is to exile & strip citizenship of anyone who signs the petitions

not sure how this will play out but it should be interesting! I personally think that it will all just get swept under the rug and forgot about . . . petitions? what petitions??

·
Registered
433 Posts
I think Texas would go bankrupt and be re-absorbed by Mexico within 3 years if they seceded. After all in 2010 - 2011 Texas requested and received 6.4$ billion in Recover Act dollars...aka federal funds...in an effort at closing their stagering budget shortfall.

·
Registered
126 Posts
C5GUY, from reading your posts its painfully obvious you have something against Texas and conservatives in general. Well guess what...if Texas or any other state secedes, you don't have to move there. And I doubt you'll be missed either.

I for one, will be first in line to renounce my American citizenship and become a Texan.

·
Registered
433 Posts
JT, actually I like Texas a lot and go there often. In fact my wife is a Texas gal. I am just stating the facts and hope you can find someone to explain them to you. You know nothing about me and I like that fact. Stop judging people by your narrow standards and man up because someday you would love having me "have your back" if SHTF.

·
Registered
433 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Texas was already its own nation from 1836 to 1846, the Republic Of Texas. They even had their own president, Sam Houston.

And they still hold the right to secede from America.
I'm not saying that they don't have the right, but as a student of history I must bring to your attention some information that I don't think you're putting into consideration. The reason Texas asked to join the united states, was because they were broke, they had absolutely no money because they couldn't support themselves. This may be different today, but back then that's why they stopped being their own country. Also, in regards to C5GUY's post, that is why if they secede, there is going to be fighting. Because the states that secede aren't going to not use the roads and infrastructure, so there will be tension on that, but I do see your point.

Reactions: C5GUY
1 - 20 of 37 Posts