Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else have this in their area this weekend? My mother got stopped by a check point in our suburban neighborhood yesterday at 10am. State patrol checked her I.D. and car. I found some info on it. They are calling it Operation Sheild. They have state patrol all over the highways pulling and towing people for pretty much anything. They also have choppers everywhere. This doesn't seem right to me..

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I had the same kind of incident happen to me when coming back from early morning fishing this summer I did post my story on a site I belong to...SO ill post it here ...

First off I would like to state for the record I have lived in Tennessee for 20 years and had never seen check points setup like this until recently. My son and I were coming back from fishing trip and on the way home about 11 am when we ran into a soviet style document checkpoint held by Tennessee state troopers.. there was one check point we stopped at where one officer check my drivers license, Insurance and vehicle registration..I have all the document in visor of my truck and showed them to the officer he then gave my paperwork back and sent me through where 100 yards down the road was another checkpoint where another officer stopped me then started asking me where I had been, where I was going and did I mind id he searched my vehicle, I then taught my son a valuable lesson I told the officer it was none of his business where I was going and where I came from and yes I did mind if he checked my vehicle..Then I asked the officer why they were setting up the checkpoints in the middle of the day.. His answer was to me, The state Issues the license and the state can take it away and we can set up checkpoints anytime we want.. I then told him the last time I had to go through a check point was when I was stationed in Korea going to the DMZ. He gave me a dirty look then started. walking around my truck checking out our fishing gear in the back then walked back to my window gave me back all my paperwork and told me to get out of there as I drove through the last checkpoint looking at the two other people that were still pulled over due to some kind of problems with their paperwork I told my son this is why we fight for our rights and freedom to try to stop this kind of soviet style intimidation tactics..I thought this was a interesting story and just wanted to share it. Take Care all and GOD Bless you and yours...

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
It's okay to forgo reasonable suspicion so long as it's called a checkpoint. Remember folks, this is for your protection. They just want you to be safe.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Have seen this a few times here in KY. Middle of the day the KSP and had a checkpoint on a state highway. They
just checked my license and reg and told me it was ok to proceed. I had a G21 in a carry bag on the seat and it was not visible in the bag.
I didn't offer that info to them nor did they ask.

·
Administrator
15,422 Posts
Happens several times a month in Charlton County, Georgia.
All you have to do is show your driver's license. That's it. Completely constitutional, I might add. The last time I went through I had a 44 in my front pocket. Yes, I do have a Florida Concealed Firearm Or Weapon license. Which Georgia honors as well.
Sure does get a lot of drivers put where they belong for drunk driving. I have no sympathy for driving while impaired.

Reactions: dwight55 and Denton

·
Registered
24,529 Posts
Ask for drivers license and registration, yes. Search vehicle and ask other questions, no. They stepped off their "constitutional flagstone", as the chairman of the criminal justice department used to call it.

Helicopters on station, too? Wow. Sounds like they are really getting their tyranny on!

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
They do the same thing here in New Mexico. They call it a safety check and not surprising all fines are doubled. Funny story, I have a 1970's VW bus that me and the wife are restoring and I had just got it up and running so I load the whole family in for a quick cruise. We round the corner and here is the New Mexico State Troopers and a checkpoint. In New Mexico the state troopers uniforms look just like the German SS and I pull up to the officer and he takes it all in. I'm missing the driver's side mirror, no seat belts, the kids are jumping up and down on the mattress in the back, the wife is digging thru the glove box in an attempt to find the registration and insurance card, no brake lights or turn signals. I smile and realize I don't have my wallet, in my mind I'm adding up all the fines and contemplating telling everyone to just bail out and run. The officer shakes his head turns his back and says, "Just go!"

Footwear Hat Coat Military uniform Street fashion

·
Administrator
15,422 Posts
Cops ask a question or two simply to ascertain if there is alcohol on your breath. They could care less where you are coming from or going to.
I simply make it a point to say something to the officer when I hand out my drivers license. Nips that in the bud.
I have found that cops react to you the same way you treat them. If you act like a jerk, expect to be treated in kind.

The cops on the Florida side of the line never bother with these checks. They stay busy over on the other, more populated, side of our county. Besides, they know most of the bad guys around here anyway.

·
Registered
24,529 Posts
Cops ask a question or two simply to ascertain if there is alcohol on your breath. They could care less where you are coming from or going to.
I simply make it a point to say something to the officer when I hand out my drivers license. Nips that in the bud.
I have found that cops react to you the same way you treat them. If you act like a jerk, expect to be treated in kind.
Problem is, they are crossing the line when they ask you questions in the pursuit of a crime they suspect you committed. If their nose is good, all they have to ask you is how you are doing. My nose was awesome. Between observation and odor, I could judge the level of intoxication within .05, plus or minus. The Intoxilyzer 5000 (not sure about the spelling as it has been a couple decades) was only a little better than me!

I never liked check points. I preferred waiting until they violated a traffic code. Drunks will do that in short order. Even before I fell into an in depth study of the founding of this nation and the liberties the government was created to protect, some things seemed inherently wrong to me, and stopping people without cause was one of those things I found distasteful to say the least.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
They do the same thing here in New Mexico. They call it a safety check and not surprising all fines are doubled. Funny story, I have a 1970's VW bus that me and the wife are restoring and I had just got it up and running so I load the whole family in for a quick cruise. We round the corner and here is the New Mexico State Troopers and a checkpoint. In New Mexico the state troopers uniforms look just like the German SS and I pull up to the officer and he takes it all in. I'm missing the driver's side mirror, no seat belts, the kids are jumping up and down on the mattress in the back, the wife is digging thru the glove box in an attempt to find the registration and insurance card, no brake lights or turn signals. I smile and realize I don't have my wallet, in my mind I'm adding up all the fines and contemplating telling everyone to just bail out and run. The officer shakes his head turns his back and says, "Just go!"

View attachment 3285
in

I didn't know there were any 1970 VW busses left, I thought they all burned up on the side of the road.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
in

I didn't know there were any 1970 VW busses left, I thought they all burned up on the side of the road.
I found one in a neighbor's yard! He was the original owner and unfortunately passed away shortly after we purchased it. He maintained it perfectly and it doesn't have a spot of rust. We have everything done except for the paint, its paint primer right now. We love using it for camping.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Problem is, they are crossing the line when they ask you questions in the pursuit of a crime they suspect you committed. If their nose is good, all they have to ask you is how you are doing. My nose was awesome. Between observation and odor, I could judge the level of intoxication within .05, plus or minus. The Intoxilyzer 5000 (not sure about the spelling as it has been a couple decades) was only a little better than me!

I never liked check points. I preferred waiting until they violated a traffic code. Drunks will do that in short order. Even before I fell into an in depth study of the founding of this nation and the liberties the government was created to protect, some things seemed inherently wrong to me, and stopping people without cause was one of those things I found distasteful to say the least.
I don't like our checkpoints either even though all we are looking for is illegal aliens and drugs. The only thing I think comes from it is it teaches the trainees what to look for in a smuggling case. I can spot the smugglers without a checkpoint just sitting on the side of the road coming from the border and I don't have to involve everyone coming down the road.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
They used to have sobriety checkpoints all the time in Minnesota. The would setup a checkpoint in the middle of the interstate, you would pull up and they would stuff a breathalizer in your face and send you on your way (assuming your were not drunk). I guess I never thought much of it other than to complain about the traffic jams they would create. But I think they had to stop doing those a few years ago. - At least I have not heard of any for about 5 years.

Meangreen: A 1970's VW bus? Really? As your friend I beg you, if you have any Grateful Dead albums please burn them now before you start having the urge to bathe in patchouli oil and take LSD!

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
They used to have sobriety checkpoints all the time in Minnesota. The would setup a checkpoint in the middle of the interstate, you would pull up and they would stuff a breathalizer in your face and send you on your way (assuming your were not drunk). I guess I never thought much of it other than to complain about the traffic jams they would create. But I think they had to stop doing those a few years ago. - At least I have not heard of any for about 5 years.

Meangreen: A 1970's VW bus? Really? As your friend I beg you, if you have any Grateful Dead albums please burn them now before you start having the urge to bathe in patchouli oil and take LSD!
I'm no hippie even though I own both a VW Van and a Prius. I have a Road King and a chopper just to keep my man card punched!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.