Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
7,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know SPAM works for a survival food, but pork isn't Kosher:lol:

So I found some Oven Roasted Turkey SPAM, I sliced it into 8 slices and pan fried it with some Sav A Lot cooking spray until golden brown.

Tastes good with some firmness than the regular swine SPAM lacks. We had Morning Delight waffles and syrup with the SPAM

2 oz serving of Turkey SPAM has

4.5 g fat
1.5 g saturated fat
0.0 g trans fat
35 mg cholesterol
520 mg sodium
1 g carbs
0 g fiber
0 g sugar
9 g protein
The sodium concerns me a bit, but the rest is acceptable IMHO

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
I like spam fried over a flame

Reactions: BigCheeseStick

·
Registered
938 Posts
I will have to try that. I like regular SPAM (no kosher issues) and I really like turkey, so....

Thanks for the post - did not know of this option.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Potatoes, onion, green pepper, Spam all fried up together and a couple over easy eggs on top. With a few drops of Tabasco. Breakfast of champions.
What time is dinner?

·
Registered
156 Posts
There is a new peppercorn version of SPAM out. Tasty stuff on a sammich.
I just bought a can of the Black Pepper Spam and Spam with cheese at a local grocer the other day and had a sandwich today.Not bad stuff,the kids even liked it,sliced thin,fried,then done up like a grilled cheese sandwich.I haven't tried the Spam with cheese yet.

·
Registered
61 Posts
We all know SPAM works for a survival food, but pork isn't Kosher:lol:

So I found some Oven Roasted Turkey SPAM, I sliced it into 8 slices and pan fried it with some Sav A Lot cooking spray until golden brown.

Tastes good with some firmness than the regular swine SPAM lacks. We had Morning Delight waffles and syrup with the SPAM

2 oz serving of Turkey SPAM has

4.5 g fat
1.5 g saturated fat
0.0 g trans fat
35 mg cholesterol
520 mg sodium
1 g carbs
0 g fiber
0 g sugar
9 g protein
The sodium concerns me a bit, but the rest is acceptable IMHO

In a SHTF scenario, you're gonna need that extra sodium as you're going to be working harder and sweating more. I don't think high sodium will be problematic.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Spam Salad

1 can of Spam ~run it through a cheese grater
Salt/Pepper
Diced Onion
Diced Dill Pickle
2 Hard boiled eggs
A little of the pickle juice
Miracle Whip

Mix up and make sandwiches. The funny thing is I have served this to company and they would of never guessed it's Spam...LOL

·
Registered
197 Posts
To me, Treet takes just like Spam and is a dollar less per can.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
I have used Spam in the past. Even though it is not the worst thing I have ever eaten I do not and will not put it into my storage food. In my opinion the only way to make it palatable is to boil it a couple of times to reduce the salt and then fry it on a grill to get rid of some of the fat. It is simply not a good source of protein, which is what meat is supposed to be, and I don't enjoy the flavor - no matter how it is dressed up. The best way to use it was to cook it with beans like salt pork but even then it was almost intollerable to me.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Spam really isn't my favorite food, but I'll eat it fried up crispy like bacon with breakfast, or in Spam Salad...I really have to be in the mood to eat it..... I also wash it after pulling it out of the can to take that gel off of it. Talk about gagging me...lol

·
Registered
206 Posts
Every prepper should be adding at least a case of spam to their reserves every year ... and rotating it every now and then of course.

But Spam, at least from what I have experienced, has an indefinite shelf life. I don't know about this new turkey Spam stuff but I'm going to give it a try.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
With the amount of salt in it I would say what was on the shelf yesterday could have been canned early in the Egyption first dynasty.
My bet is that it has a longer shelf life than twinkies.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts