Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spam, what a subject. I have seen on here and several other forums I belong to that a lot of people don't like spam. Never mind that most have never even tasted it, they just know they don't like it. ! Maybe it is the power of suggestion or just being afraid of something new. Bottom line is this. It IS pretty darn good, does store for several years in its own can, and at least it is meat, and not soy etc as the gooberminet would have you eat. In other words, you could store a few cases of it , slice or dice it when needed, and fry it up real good, mix with scrambled eggs and have an omelet Sliced and fried, it makes a great sandwich. Now, put it in a meatloaf pan, pour ketchup over the top, and bake it and you have a poor mans meatloaf. By the way, you can also eat it right out of the can, cold.

Lately, with all the steroid loaded up food we are getting , especially chicken, you are probably better off with spam. So, maybe you want to re think spam a little bit. Could save your life

·
Registered
8,033 Posts
SPAM,SPAM,SPAM,SPAM,SPAM,Spam,Spam,Spam,Spam,Spam,SPAM,SPAM,SPAM,SPAM, there's nothing here but SPAM reminds me of a song from days gone by

There's even a Turkey Spam for those wishing to be "Kosher", although IDK if it has the "P" or "K" on the can.

Speaking of Spam, Dunhams has the Spam Can of 7.65 x 54 for 99 and change this coming week.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Spam was created back in ww1 I believe so as to get meat to the soldiers in the trenches I actually grew up on it. Especially in the Boy Scouts and doing all the camping and fishing etc that went with it. Two - three day back pack trip back when,. 1-2 cans spam, 2-4 eggs in a special little holder, salt, pepper, ketchup, 3-4 cans campbells pork and beans and maybe a few hot dogs, and you were all set. Now adays, they seem to have a lot of versions of the same spam, that you may need to take awhile to make the choice. However, I still like the original spam in the blue can, especially with the key on the bottom.
But would advise all of you to not overlook this cheap (right now) item that could make the difference between life and death down the road.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Grew up on spam and still have some in the pantry. Can't go wrong with it.
Nowadays they've got regular spam, turkey spam, low sodium spam, and bacon spam lol
Either way, I think it's a must have as well.
Just my opinion though so take it with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I grew up on SPAM myself and will never forget what my Dad use to tell me it was. Shit Posing As Meat. LOL Personally, I like it. Not something I choose to eat all the time but is no doubt a cheap alternative that will keep your belly full and deter starvation. Seeing some survival shows and hearing of people having to resort to eating bugs and worms...I think I would much rather have a can of suspicious 'Shit Posing As Meat' than a hand full of creepy crawly critters.

·
Registered
115 Posts
My dad made a spam casserole using shell noodles, stewed tomatoes, Sharp cheese, mozerella, oregano, garlic powder, n with spam on top. Pop in oven till spam gets crispy n cheese melts, it really is good n filling.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Here in New Mexico, the breakfast burritto is sold to alot of local bussinesses by people, and Spam is the goto. I have tried spam many ways, from cold on a sandwich(least favorite) and panfried like ham, and also sandwiched. The breakfast burrittos with Spam and potatoes is ok, and would definately be better than bugs. I understand its used a lot on the reservation, becouse sometimes people who live far far out only go grocery shopping once a month, and it does keep for a long time.

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
I actually ate it the other week and I honestly liked it. I ate the four slices I fried up on the alcohol stove, never once made a face or thought it was unappetizing. It was basically just really processed ham, extruded formed ham.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Love Spam! Name actually means SPiced hAM. My dad would slice it up, cook in on stove til golden on both sides, & slap it on some bread with mustard, yummy! Picked up an 8 pack, at Costco. It is heavy, but I put a can in each of our bug out bags.

·
Registered
245 Posts
i also grew up eating spam, my mom would fry it up and we'd make sandwhichs with tomatoes and mayo. has anyone seen the single slice servings that spam has out now? its like a slice of the chunk rapped up in a tin foil baggy.i used ti take 3 or 4 of the single serving out with me in iraq when i'd go out to repair generators on the small fobs. never knew what kind of chow you'd get out there,or if you'd make it in time for chow. anyway i'd take a few of them and some of those bumble bee lunchable spread thingys with me lol.

·
Administrator
15,444 Posts
I grew up on Spam, and love it still today. Wifey thinks it's junk - goody, more for me.
Nobody has mentioned it yet, but cut into small chunks it's an excellent pizza topping.
Don't know if the military still serves it, maybe they are too health conscious these days, but back in the 60's every Army messhall had it in large cans about 2 feet long, I'm thinking at least 5 pounds. OD green cans, of course.
Man, i love Spam.

Reactions: 9UC and nadja

·
Registered
938 Posts
We eat SPAM for breakfast once or twice a month. Slice it thin and pan sear it, and press down on it with a spatula to squeeze the excess fat out of it. Tastes great to me.

My Labrador Retriever thinks it is great, too - I want him to like it because it is in the emergency pantry and various bags we keep at the ready. Cooked right, it mimics ham or bacon.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I will eat it once in a while, but it's not my favorite thing. It does keep forever, though. I found a can waaaaaaaaay in the back of the bottom shelf of my basement storage dated 2000...opened it, ate it...no one got sick. I don't know how long it will last, but 12 year old Spam was ok.

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
ate some again a little while ago, finished that can I opened a week ago had it in a zip bag. Was delicious, I am gonna start carrying a can in all the bug out bags.

·
Banned
1,711 Posts
Think about it. In a Prep situation with no electricity, it will stay fresh (I know that's a relative term) for almost ever. It is meat, pork shoulder to be specific (not ham not pork chops, not pork roast). It's also the cheapest meat on the market (or it used to be - found some canned chicken for about the same price) at two fifty for a 12 ounce can. And it's just about the right portion size for one person for a day's ration. So what's not to like. (Course it does taste better with hot sauce or ketsup which both count as vegetables)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.