Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,
I am new to this forum and thought I would check the California link. What no posts? Well I thought there might be some useful information for those of us still in the "golden state".
I could use some information on water supply. I am rural and high desert. I am on a well and so if the power goes down I am sunk. I do have a 1000 plus water tank which I originally purchased with the idea of survival for my animals (2 horses). I do not see any water connections except to my pressure tank so that needs to be remedied. My well is about 250' deep.. Am considering a flo-jack for back up..Any advice?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Welcome Kharakterc. Flo Jacks are supposed to be pretty good units from what I have been told. But around here in the high desert, everyone uses gennies or like me , solar. What is most practical for you ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldn't mind solar or a conversion. Do you have any resources you could post for that. I think that would work well for me. Wouldn't want to rely on generator and then have to worry about fuel storage to support the generator. Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh BTW was looking at Northern AZ for possible relocation but my concern was water in general. Thought about Ashfork or Seligman but all water haul..

·
Registered
68 Posts
Howdy neighbors!

New guy here from the AV. So new that this is post #2!. I promise, no more rhyming.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
They do, its just hard for them to admit they are from there, j/k

OP I live in desert territory and there is adequate water from the 4-5 inches we get a year.
You should look up "pond liners" and can probably create a rather large "pond" to gather
that rain water, and of course have your roof run off too it. It still needs to be filtered
and treated but 1 inch of rain can create a lot of water if gathered on a 1000' roof and
300' pond - and them some.

As for power back up for the well I'd be sure to have a generator that can run the pump.
You would not need a lot of juice / gasoline / propane / diesel (or all three) to run a generator
long enough to pump a large tank / pond full. Most residential well pumps are quite a few
gallons per minute - mine is 80 so in 30 minutes I have 2400 gallons of water pumped.

Why does it seem that no one in So Cal preps? I don't get it lol

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Keep the water, eat the horses.

Reactions: phrogman

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Welcome to the forum!...from an ex-northern Californian.sorry I dont have any ideas for you.we dont have a water problem living next to the biggest fresh water lake in CONUS.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Hello Everyone,
I am new to this forum and thought I would check the California link. What no posts? Well I thought there might be some useful information for those of us still in the "golden state".
I could use some information on water supply. I am rural and high desert. I am on a well and so if the power goes down I am sunk. I do have a 1000 plus water tank which I originally purchased with the idea of survival for my animals (2 horses). I do not see any water connections except to my pressure tank so that needs to be remedied. My well is about 250' deep.. Am considering a flo-jack for back up..Any advice?
The smart people left a long time ago. I'm a California Native but I don't tell people that ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Newbe

I to am and still is in California the good news is my wife and I have just closed on some property in North Carolina in Burnsville don't know much about the people in n. Carolina but it does sit on 5 acres and we are ready to relocate

·
Registered
799 Posts
We be here in South, SO CAL! ;)
We're working on getting out! Looking for jobs in the PNW!
We're prepping also ;)

being in urban areas suck though as we'd be dead in no time ;(
one of the reasons we're looking to split, but not the only one...this state is sinking, fast...I pray OR & WA can keep the good fight and hold on to not becoming CA! :(

I like Idaho too! Maybe Montana?

jobs first...

Oh, Congrats ArowBay! :) most places are better than here...most, not all ;)

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Why does it seem that no one in So Cal preps? I don't get it lol
There's more of us than you think :D

Problem is while I'm active online, everything I do at home is carefully planned out. I have, as I'm sure you have, busy body neighbors. The ones to the left and right are good, as is most of my street. But they built new homes behind me. Those homes went for $750k+ and I'm sure they don't appreciate me having my chickens, fruit trees, rainwater collection system, etc.

Being in SoCal is a whole different type of prepping. Thankfully there are groves of fruit trees still around, and a huge organic movement around here. I look like any other fad following, yuppie type, growing my own organic food, raising organic fed chickens, doing my part to save the planet :p

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi! I am new to the forum, and new to prepping. I live in SoCal. Interested in learning more and meeting up with people. Do people get together? Thanks!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts