Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BetrayedAmerican here,

I seek advise and the wisdom of all the other people on this forum. Today a good buddy of mine calls me up and asks me if I am still into the whole prepping thing. I simply told him that it is a way of life for me now so yes indeed I am still into the prepper thing....

He immediately started to ask a million and a half questions as to what he needs to do to get into it and what he needs to do to get a good start.
Here is where the help I need comes in.

I told him that if he was truly into the idea of wanting to become a prepper, the first thing he would need to do is create a bug out bag. I then went on to list a couple things that I thought were important for a bug out bag...
1.Extra clothing such as Socks and Underwear.
2.Lighting
3.Fire Starters
4.Water Purifier
5.Water Carrier
6.Food
7.Knives
8.550 cord
9.Medications
10.Tarp

Now these are just a few items to help him get on his way.... He then went on to ask me to train him on everything I know from military training to survival training for the woods....

I have been pondering on this and have gone through a lot of paper trying to write up ideas and training sessions for him but simply came up with a couple big names on youtube and told him to watch.....

I guess the question I have for you all is when it comes to prepping I find myself doing it solo a lot as my wife wants nothing to do with it as she finds it absolutely pointless and whatever but what do I tell this guy that wants to be just like me apparently...

Any advise as to how to start a new possible prepper would be greatly appreciated... Thanks.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Hey you seem to be on the right track and keep in mind that prepping is a personal thing and what works for you may not work for another. Take Oklahoma and the recent events resulting from the tornado. I'm sure there are some who thought there biggest worry was getting gasoline for their generator and now they have no house, no car and no generator. I am positive that those in Oklahoma who were prepared and also lost much likely did not lose all and had at least a plan to get home, locate loved ones, employ water and food stores and set up shelter. Ask your wife what she would do if in that situation. Some preppers are not gun owners, some are vegaterians, some have livestock. We all have different needs and priorities. You can bet that the lights communication and infrastructure won't be up and running anytime soon so plan your actions as if a similar disaster affected you and yours. The best thing that could happen is that your have a plan and never have to use it. Like a weapon. Its better to have and not need, than need and not have. Tell you friend he will learn lots by reading this site, learn even more if he joins, participates and contributes as well. Hey, we are a community sharing and helping each other out. Or he could just lurk for a while. Thats what I did. There are many here who are generous with their time and expertise. Goods folks on this board. Thanks for posting. You are not alone.

punch

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
I would say and this is just my opinion, that one should start small with the basics and progress from there as time and funds are available and they have had a chance to take everything in and access their situation and true needs and priorities. That being said I wouldnt start with a BOB, I would start with a 72 hour bag. Its small its simple and its very basic and pretty cheap to set up in just a weekend with some for thought of course. A 72 hour bag can provide very critical supplies that are needed for just about any occasion or disaster. From there I would expand. Maybe the next step could be getting 2 weeks of supplies on hand over the course of a month or two. From there a BOB might be a prudent next move. Rome wasnt built in a day and unless you have long arms and deep pockets, your not going to be much of a prepper in just one day either.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Welcome Betrayed American,

Welcome to the site and and I would say that you have done a great job on getting your friend started. As you cant teach him everything yourself, self reliance and of course YouTube will help you and him alot. Dont worry if your wife wont participate. I would explain to her that, you are not prepping for any particular reason, but due to recent events such as the tornado, economy, I have decided that it wouldnt hurt to be prepared for a rainy day. The whole ant and the grasshopper story so to speak. My girlfriend wasnt really into it as much as I am, but at least understands why I do what I do.

Another suggestion is take your friend on a survival camping trip for a week with just what you can carry in your BOB. Bring a pencil and paper and write what you have learned or forgotten down and update your BOB accordingly. Believe me, you will learn quickly what you need on that trip!!!

Good Luck and be prepared !!

And my prayers are going out to all in Oklahoma that have been affected by the tornadoes. I live in what we call "Tornado Alley" in Ontario, Canada and we get the aftermath of all your storms. Please know that you are in our prayers.

BetrayedAmerican here,

I guess the question I have for you all is when it comes to prepping I find myself doing it solo a lot as my wife wants nothing to do with it as she finds it absolutely pointless and whatever but what do I tell this guy that wants to be just like me apparently...

Any advise as to how to start a new possible prepper would be greatly appreciated... Thanks.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I would suggest that he spend some time here and browse around. Better yet, join and ask questions.

·
Registered
966 Posts
To put together a bugout bag it helps to know where you are going to bug out to.

If I was going to bug out to the woods in moderate weather I would want: (stuff in parentheses are what I use)

Good pack. Most of the military style packs are crap, heavy, don't carry well. (ULA Ohm 2.0)
Tent (Big Agnes Flycreek UL1)
Sleeping bag (Western Mounteering Highlight 35)
Sleeping pad (Thermarest Neoair)
2 1l Gatorade bottles
1 oz bleach
5 days food (about 2,000 calories 1.5lbs/day
MSR Simmerlite stove w/11 fuel 1.3l titanium pot
Waterpoof/windproof outer layer (Marmot Precip)
Headlamp (Petzel E-Lite)
Fleece top, hat, mittens

All this weighs about 20 lbs. and will keep you happy down to about freezing and alive to around zero.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I"m also somewhat new to prepping. But in my reading here's what I learned and it might help your friend. First I'm a on very tight budget. So I made a list of items I thought I would need in order of importance, this will help in the long run. But as far as getting started I would suggest, making a BOP (bug out plan), with what he has to work with on hand. Next I would make a BOB, with items that would suit is BOP. Depending on what part of the country he lives and and the climate this will be different that others. Once he has the BOP and the BOB, then I would resort back to my list of needed items and start working my way down the list. I not go straight down the list though. Meaning if he has 1000 rounds of ammo first, and 15 gallons of water next, I would get a few of each when available, this is to make sure things are well rounded. Not sure if any of this will help, but it's the plan I am going off of. I basically put it together from several plans from other preppers and I felt this was the best route to go for me and family.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts