Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone talks about them catching large stripers, but I am only used to worm and hook. Not that much into artificial baits. Wanting to learn whats the best.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think [possibly] you are talking about "crank baits"

Check this out-may help

This guy is world champion and a good teacher as well

John

·
Registered
26 Posts
Different sized lips on the front determine the depth they will dive to and stay at during retrieval (constant reeling in.) The bigger the lip, the deeper the depth. They range from like 3' to 15 or 20'...They are expensive but deadly if you know how to use them...In a survival situation, i would rely on ole trusty...The carolina rig. I catch nice sized bass nearly every day i use it. Its a way to rig up your line and retrieve the casts. For the price of a nice crank bait, you can buy the components to 20-50 carolina rigs...lol....Just my 2 cents :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Live bait you cast out & let it sit.

Crank baits you cast out & reel in & cast out & reel in.

Some crank baits (spoons & mepps spinners) you cast out, let sink for 2 seconds and reel in.

A jitterbug or hoola popper floats, so you cast out & let sit for 10 seconds, reel in 10 feet & let it sit again.

Some float, but dive straight down when you reel in...so you reel in a few feet, it dives, you stop & it floats back up to the surface (simulating a dying fish).

And some you "jig"...you reeel reel reel JIG (yank the tip of the pole up to change the speed of the bait)...reel reel reel jig...

I personally like live bait the best, but I've had alot of luck with the Mepps black fury, Mister twisters, and lazy Ikes.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
One of the best general use IMO is the beetle spin, white body with red dot and a silver spinner. But it all depends on where you're fishing. Example, for large/small mouth at Lake Nacogdoches, watermelon seed worms great. At Lake Sam Rayburn/Toledo Bend, green with the red glitter, Lake Timpson, black fire tails. All these lakes are semi close to each other. I don't use live bait much anymore unless I'm letting the bait sit and I'm not casting far. If I have to cast far or work the bait, it's going to be artificial.

·
Registered
8,213 Posts
Striped Bass Fishing - Stripers 247.com - Striper Fishing and saltwater, freshwater reports and Striper Fishing hybrid striped bass fishing

Striped Bass Fishing, Stripers, Rockfish - StriperSurf.com - Saltwater Inshore and Surf Striped Bass Fishing

Those two links have all the information you need and forums for: gear, boats, tackle, bait, lures, line, knots, rods, reels, surf, regional fishing reports.............

Been doing that 20 years now, mostly surf but, tidal spawning runs , and some boats when I can

·
Registered
65 Posts
I thrust metal spoon n fly. those plastic fish don't work for me so I sold of 3 box n still have some.
In fact at 1 pond, the fishes don't take plastic fish. they take fly n rubber lures. it is a paid pond, catch n release
rule. we in our country use normal spinning rod with lead to cast fly. we called spin fly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts