Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Some water questions...

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Lucky Jim 
The general rule of thumb I've heard is for 1 gallon of water per day per person. I think that's a little much but it's a nice round number to work with.

Color of rain barrel, I think a white/clear is best or any other color that lets some light in so you can see the level of water in there.

I hear a lot of people have the Big Berkey water filters, I think they are a good choice. I personally have a Katadyn w/ the ceramic filter impregnated w/ silver. I also have a UV battery powered light to sterilize the water after I use the Katadyn (called a SteriPen). I've used this system personally while kayaking my local rivers and had no ill effects.

I have 2 of the 55-gallon rain barrels that stay full for the most part from rain water.

I also have a few of the 7-gallon Aquatainers that are sold at Walmart for about $10 a piece. For these I just keep them filled with tap water and replace the water in them about every 6 months.

Household size: 2 adults

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.