Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Is popcorn a dessert?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so this has been a point of contention in our ten year marriage. (I can hear you now, "If that's all you've got to worry about, you've got it good!") I won't tell you my opinion til later.

Is popcorn a dessert or not?

Help a gal out here!

This is my first time attempting a poll, so hopefully I got it right.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
I agree it is a snack unless it is caramel corn - is that the same as kettle corn? On second thought caramel corn is a snack too.

So third option is neither.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you, thank you. I feel redeemed. I just wanna smack him when he suggests popcorn. I don't bother asking him for dessert ideas anymore. :lol: It's NOT DESSERT!

·
Registered
904 Posts
I view popcorn as more of a weapon than either a dessert or a snack. It pop's when heat is applied, it can cause suffocation if not swallowed properly, and it can also explode if not handled properly. Perhaps it should be classified as a weapon of mass destruction because many a household has been leveled by over cooking it which causes toxic fumes to spread rapidly causing residents of the normally peaceful domicile to flee in terror. The government really should regulate this substance for our own safety. Congrats on the 10 years and I hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
9,165 Posts
Popcorn is a multipurpose food. While it is a vegetable, it can be eaten as a snack. To some, that snack could be a dessert, it all up the person doing the eating. It can be used as padding in a box when shipping fragile items (but could attract vermin). It can be used as Christmas tree decorations. Bird food, bait for fishing, and of course my favorite!
View attachment 3476

·
Registered
70 Posts
Regular popcorn, no, it's a snack. Carmel popcorn Yes and no---it can be desert or a snack. If "you" put Carmel corn on the table for desert after a meal---then it's desert. Desert as I understand it, involves something sweet.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I guess caramel corn -can- be a dessert.. I guess... but a snack, nonetheless

Reactions: indie

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
It is a feel good food. Some think it is harmless to chow down on pop corn but will still add pounds.
Any food can be a Dessert

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
It's a snack, and an aggravation when one gets to the bottom of the bowl and all that is left are the somewhat popped kernels.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Snack!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: indie

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
Snack. Unless you're in college, then it's a side dish to Top Ramen.

Reactions: indie and Rob Roy

·
Registered
468 Posts
when all else fails, grab ye ol' dictionary.

des·sert (d-zûrt)
n.
1. A usually sweet course or dish, as of fruit, ice cream, or pastry, served at the end of a meal.

2. Chiefly British Fresh fruit, nuts, or sweetmeats served after the sweet course of a dinner.

so who voted that it IS a dessert? I see 1 vote for 'yes'

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
I hate popcorn because I used to work at movie theaters and saw what they do with it. They just take what's not popped, store it in trash bags and put it back in the case to warm it up in the morning. I hate popcorn.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts