Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:D :) hello from pensacola fl..I'm a prepper and into solar power also..I'm muddmanone on utube..invited by prepperlog on utube..may take me a while to learn this forum though..hehe

·
Registered
693 Posts
We will be interested in hearing your thoughts on solar, and maybe educating some of us average Joe's on how to set it up ourselves to help save some cash-ola!

I'm acidlittle on youtube. I'll check ya out!

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Welcome to the forum! It takes a little getting used to, but you'll get the hang of it.

I have windturbines up and I'm trying to tie in solar with the units.

Glad to see you on here and welcome again!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks but i'm no expert..I just did it one wire at a time and it worked..we just love solar and it seems to work very well..this forum seems harder than the solar..hehe

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
of course I did spend 600.00 on a Midnite Solar E-Panel but for offgrid I could have got by with maybe baby curcuit panel from Maverick solar for about 100 dollars because I ended up only using it for the.. ground bar'''and a 175 amp breaker..that I could have made for a fraction of the cost..but live and learn huh?

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
muddmanone said:
thanks but i'm no expert..I just did it one wire at a time and it worked..we just love solar and it seems to work very well..this forum seems harder than the solar..hehe
The forum does take time to get used to, but you'll get the hang of it. If you have a question about anything, feel free to ask anywhere, everyone on here is extremely friendly (so far! lol). Don't forget that we also have weekly giveaways. There is announcements in the titles of the General Prepper and Survival Talk area about it if your interested.

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
I built some solar generators out of junk with a pal of mine, I also bought a professional job 1800 watts and there's also some real good kits going around now at northern supply company. Any bigger and you may as well buy one of those horse trailers converted to a solar power stations this one company sells. If you look on my youtube channel under LeonRFpoa I have a video where we assemble one in front of you with a diagram.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is there any good way to get an existing solar system set up for energy production during a power outage but to have it set up safely so that it doesn't back feed the system? I have looked at Tesla Power Wall and others but they just seem really commercialized and don't have a long life expectancy. Thank you.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Is there any good way to get an existing solar system set up for energy production during a power outage but to have it set up safely so that it doesn't back feed the system?
It would be nice if you told more detail about what equipment you have. Then someone can see specifications and datasheets to try to answer your question.
if there was to be emp/solar flare/great reset
One of the first successful applications of solar energy was precisely in space.
It concerns solar outbreaks, heating, micrometeorites and other complexities of operation.
It seems SHARP company in this matter figured out among the first.
But what offers sellers for domestic use to me unknown without technical documentation.

·
Super Moderator
9,603 Posts
It would be nice if you told more detail about what equipment you have. Then someone can see specifications and datasheets to try to answer your question.

One of the first successful applications of solar energy was precisely in space.
It concerns solar outbreaks, heating, micrometeorites and other complexities of operation.
It seems SHARP company in this matter figured out among the first.
But what offers sellers for domestic use to me unknown without technical documentation.
I know what he's talking about. They were referred to me by my local electric company. The panels work great and cost me $0. The issue is that when the power goes out, the system is disconnected. You lose power no matter what. I looked into getting the battery pack for this but they want $10k. Not today.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I know what he's talking about. They were referred to me by my local electric company. The panels work great and cost me $0. The issue is that when the power goes out, the system is disconnected. You lose power no matter what. I looked into getting the battery pack for this but they want $10k. Not today.
Can you send them to hell and assemble the system yourself?

·
Super Moderator
9,603 Posts
I honestly don't know. If things ever got that bad, It's something I would try though. With no place to store backup batteries, we could only have power during the day. At least I could have my morning coffee easy enough.

·
Registered
8,919 Posts
I honestly don't know. If things ever got that bad, It's something I would try though. With no place to store backup batteries, we could only have power during the day. At least I could have my morning coffee easy enough.
You need the batteries to drive an inverter. You can't convert the solar output directly into the inverter. You need the panels to create low-voltage DC, a charge controller to charge the batteries, the batteries, and then an inverter to create 120VAC.

·
Super Moderator
9,603 Posts
You need the batteries to drive an inverter. You can't convert the solar output directly into the inverter. You need the panels to create low-voltage DC, a charge controller to charge the batteries, the batteries, and then an inverter to create 120VAC.
I believe it has an inverter. There is a box on the side of the house that pumps excess electricity back into the system. That's how Tesla makes their money.

·
Registered
8,919 Posts
I believe it has an inverter. There is a box on the side of the house that pumps excess electricity back into the system. That's how Tesla makes their money.
In order for you to create your own power for your own use, you need the entire setup.

·
Registered
10,764 Posts
The infrequent times we lose power for a day or so...I have a cheap inverter to hook to the car battery and run an extension cord to the house..to power a few lights..radio etc. Its strong enough to brew a pot of coffee.

·
Registered
198 Posts
If there are no batteries at all, then sometimes you can try direct connection as an auxiliary option.

I have heard of those who made lighting in their homes first at 12 volts, and then switched to 24 volts.
If there is a lot of sun, then you can even try to connect even a 24 volt kettle directly to 24 volt elements.
Power is about 300 watts.

For example such

Or such
For example, a small 0.5 liter electric kettle with a capacity of 600 watts brings water to a boil in 4-5 minutes.
Kettles with 300 watts and 24 volts will take longer to boil, but for a backup option, it may suit someone.

I do not look at 12 volts because of the power of 120 watts, but there are even such.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes you can or rather you can build your own!
I talked to Missouri Wind and Solar. They helped me to design my solar setup, 1800 Watts of power for my camper. They even allowed me to purchase each piece as I could afford the next part I felt like purchasing.
I then began building a new home with extra thick wall and insulation all round in April 2020 (shortly after my wife of 35 years passed away) and transferred everything to the small 975 Sq. FT house. It powers 12V or LED lights throughout my home, 15CU FT frig, 20 CU FT freezer, 5000 BTU A/C, 32 inch TV, Kitchen appliances, 16 gal water heater, commercial cloths washer, water pump for my water well, charge my batteries for all my power tools and my small microwave.
You do have to juggle appliances on/off to get them all to work but you don't use everything at the same time anyway. Right? I never turn off my frig and freezer but do leave everything else off until I need them. TV can run at the same time as any of the other items but not all items at the same time.
I spent a little over 5K for the whole solar setup and haven't paid an electric bill since June 2020. My average electric bill ran between $150.00 in the winter to $320.00 during the hot time of the summer. I figure it will have paid for itself around June 2023.
I live in the south central part of the U.S. and have normal 90 to 110 degree Fahrenheit summers. If you double or even triple your financial input you could probably power a 1600 to 1800 Sq. Ft. home with a little effort on your part. It all depends on your electrical requirements and how much extra effort and money you want to put into your prepper life.
I do run a very small generator from time to time when I have to go through 3 or 4 days of complete overcast skies. It does charge my batteries at the same time I use the power it generates. That is why I am working on building me a backup battery bank I can connect to my small house on those days when my system doesn't fully charge after the previous evenings use. I also like to have a backup just in case I need it. Isn't that why we stockpile food and supplies, wood for cooking and heating, and tools for everything else; in case we need it in the future? Why not plan for extra power that makes no sound when in use just like we plan for everything else? I can also use it in my small shop if I need to run a power tool that is not battery powered.
As I tell everyone, my system is not a cure all for my electrical needs but it does give me everything I have to have to live comfortable, sleep cool, make repairs around the house and to store provisions I need to survive. And, I can always expand it as I can afford to.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts