Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think of the black radio in this video?

The lady said that she had ordered it from Newsmax.

I also got the free radio in April by subscribing to the Newsmax magazine at $14.95.

It's much better than the one in the video.
It has 5 blue light battery indicators and SOS siren.

Audio equipment Gadget Electronic device Font Multimedia

·
Registered
10,070 Posts
In a word: cheap.

Yeah, it'll work. But it's not going to be a workhorse. Going to sound tinny, the flashlight beam will be all funky, and it will take forever and a day to fully charge the battery with either the solar or crank.

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
10,723 Posts
@tomcron, prove you're not a spam bot.
Soon...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In a word: cheap.

Yeah, it'll work. But it's not going to be a workhorse. Going to sound tinny, the flashlight beam will be all funky, and it will take forever and a day to fully charge the battery with either the solar or crank.
Yes, it's cheap.
But High price doesn't mean high quality.
Cheap doesn't mean low quality.
I've tested it for almost 2 months and its quality is great.
Flashlight is bright and its speaker is loud.

Slow charging by solar/crank is common for all emergency radios in the market due to their small sizes.

It can be recharged much faster using a bigger portable solar panel charger(such as with a 5W-10W solar panel)

A portable solar panel charger and portable power bank are also must-haves in prepper's survival bag.

I don't expect too much from emergency radio as far as its solar/crank charging speed is concerned.

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
10,723 Posts
It's my great pleasure to join this forum.

I'm not a spam-bot.
Glad to hear it.
Just an odd choice for a first post.

Welcome!

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
What do you think of the black radio in this video?

The lady said that she had ordered it from Newsmax.

I also got the free radio in April by subscribing to the Newsmax magazine at $14.95.

It's much better than the one in the video.
It has 5 blue light battery indicators and SOS siren.

View attachment 114645

Welcome to the forum. All that matters is you like the features that it has to offer and their performance.

Check the weather band and make sure that it can pick up your local weather channels. If that works and the FM works and has good range that's all that matters.

The windup is a good feature if you run out of batteries. I turn the crank on my cheap radio for about 2 minutes and it gives me about a half hour or so of radio time.

Once again welcome to the forum.

PS you're not a liberal are you?

·
Registered
10,070 Posts
Having crank / USB / solar charging is nice... but what about the battery itself? Is it buried inside and not easily changed? If so, that's a huge 'no' for me. Either give me the ability to power it with off-the-shelf alkalines or a readily available rechargeable batt.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Having crank / USB / solar charging is nice... but what about the battery itself? Is it buried inside and not easily changed? If so, that's a huge 'no' for me. Either give me the ability to power it with off-the-shelf alkalines or a readily available rechargeable batt.

It depends on the model of the radio. My Dynamo radio battery was easy to replace.

Finding one for it was the challenge because my radio model was pretty old. But in most cases if you dig far enough you can find what you need.

·
Registered
10,070 Posts
It depends on the model of the radio. My Dynamo radio battery was easy to replace.

Finding one for it was the challenge because my radio model was pretty old. But in most cases if you dig far enough you can find what you need.
Even if you can find a battery, how easy is it to change? Is it soldered right onto a board? Hard-wired with a short harness? These can be barriers for some people who aren't good at repairing small electronics.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Even if you can find a battery, how easy is it to change? Is it soldered right onto a board? Hard-wired with a short harness? These can be barriers for some people who aren't good at repairing small electronics.
Depends on the model. My battery had a plug. Once you get the battery into position you just plug the wires into the internals.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
You have brought up some good points. Investigate the radio that you want and see how you replace the dynamo battery.

·
Registered
12,501 Posts
Interesting. I have a couple like it. Something more battery durable/flexible is nice but just having one is a step in the right direction. Communications are probably my weakest preparation area I will admit.

Reactions: MaterielGeneral
1 - 16 of 16 Posts