Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend on fb sent me an article which is sopose to be a leak.from snowden and it said we will start getting strong solar flares at end of the month.it said the sun is shifting poles and its flares would be desatrous to earth. causing some to die and food won't grow so others will starve. it included a memo from fema asking USDA. how soon and how many loads of food could they deliver to disaster areas. but then i read somewhere else while trying to find more info on this that it was a fake. anybody know anything bout this?

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Intriguing. The only way I can imagine a solar flare impacting food production is if it blew out enough transformers a good deal of the country is without electricity, people can't pump fuel into trucks and city folks assuming farmers don't know how to pump fuel into a tractor. I can't see a solar flare causing the kind of impact a nuclear winter would like that from a major volcano eruption in terms of impacting food production.

Though I demand no solar flares while I'm flying to Ireland on the 10th and back on the 22nd/23rd. They are forbidden. I say so!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Your gun safe can be the perfect Faraday Cage. If it has an electrical cord already going to it to power a light, dehumidifier, or anything all you need to do is replace the two wire cord with a three wire cord, find a screw in the metal wall of the safe somewhere, and connect the new ground wire you added to the screw (please be careful!). But you can then store anything you want protected (radio equipment, portable hard drives, gps, electronic sights) in there relatively worry free.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
A solar caused EMP will not hurt your electronics unless they are plugged into the grid at the time. Solar EMP do not generate E1 pulses like the HEMPs do.
In the first place no one can predict when a solar flare is going to be generated and there is a warning system that will provide 12 to 72 hours notice in the event of a dangerous solar flare. All you need to do is shut off your main disconnect at the service entry and the main at your service panel. If the power grid is up and operating at that time then it could be damaged but your stuff will be just fine. (when and if the power comes back on)

Reactions: BigCheeseStick

·
Mod Squad
2,260 Posts
Long vid, but worth watching...

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
From SpaceWeather.com

NOAA forecasters estimate a scant 1% chance of M- or X-class solar flares during the next 24-48 hours. If the forecast holds, the sun will continue a spate of deep quiet that has lasted for more than a week, nearly-flatlining the sun's x-ray output.

The quiet spell is a bit strange because 2013 is supposed to be a year of solar maximum, with lots of flares and sunspots. Supporting this view are data from NASA-supported observatories which show that the sun's magnetic field is poised to flip--a long-held sign that Solar Max has arrived. Nevertheless, solar activity is low.

One possible explanation is that Solar Max is double-peaked and we are in the valley between peaks. If so, solar activity could surge again in late 2013-2014. No one can say for sure, though. Researchers have been studying sunspots for more than 400 years, and we still cannot predict the behavior of the solar cycle. Continued quiet or stormy space weather? Both are possible in the weeks and months ahead.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
If I remember right even a big solar flare takes 3 days to get to earth from the time it happens. And with multiple government and civil agencies watching, we SHOULD get a pretty fair warning I'd think. :/
I'm not sure they would even warn us!!

·
Mod Squad
2,260 Posts
The EMP that hit us in the 1800s took 18 minutes to get here.

This was mainly due to the fact that an earlier CME more or less swept the way clear of the cosmic debris that usually slows them down. It usually takes 2 or 3 days for one to get here from the sun.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts