Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im reading up and found out NASA has come out with a statement saying we can have a massive flare this year.
NOAA scientists are on high alert as the Sun enters a period of solar maximum over the next 14 months during which we will see a burst of activity that could have catastrophic effects on global power grids and communications systems.

Read more: Video: NOAA scientists on high alert for 2013 solar maximum

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you'll notice, during the last major flares (The Carrington Event 1858 and 1958 and the late 90's) were all during solor minimums. Caught everyone off guard. I try to keep and eye on this daily and read all I can but it still anyone's guess I imagine. I, too, have read that even the gov't is saying we're due one. A BIG one. Just depends if it's aimed at us. If we get hit with another like in 1858 then we'll essentially go back to the mid 1800's. (I honestly don't see that being a bad thing but I will miss driving my diesel Excursion.) Anyway, so I say keep a GHB in the trunk just in case. ;)

Reactions: AsteroidX

·
Registered
887 Posts
We dont know how big of an event it would take to actually fry the global networks. Certainly regional but globally..The chances are fairly slim because of physics. The Earth being flat having 2 sides. You know those physics. So it would require a rotation of the Earth and a long lasting CMT of a very powerful X kind that lasted more then 24hrs to fry all the global electrical/satellite stuff.

I think I got that right.

·
Registered
154 Posts
If a giant solar flare caused an EMP that hit the Earth, would it take out the grid of all Continents, or just the side of the earth that was pointed in that direction at the time?

·
Registered
887 Posts
It would have to be a 24hr event IMO but Im lacking in scientific knowledge to back this. But hitting North America with an emp for example is not going to effect the grid in China for example. Thats what our magnetosphere protects us from.

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
if The Carrington Event 1858 is the only thing we are going on, and make no mistake about it that is the ONLY evidence it can even effect us, I am not worried at all. I see a lot of this new "oh coronal mass ejection / emp / day after tomorrow" even AFTER dec 2012! It's lunacy folks, never going to happen. Way better things to prep for than this sci-fi bunk.

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
It is NOT the only evidence;
The March 1989 geomagnetic storm was a severe geomagnetic storm that caused the collapse of Hydro-Québec's electricity transmission system. It occurred during solar cycle 22.

There were also bad ones in 1921 and 1960,but electronics were few
And again, those incidents were rather small and repaired within a month or two. No disaster, no boiling oceans, no thousands dead...the theory still holds no water any way you cut this. If I were to wait for this rare mix of conditions while holding my breath, I would be dead. It'll never happen because it has never happened before.

·
Banned
1,895 Posts
I would suppose only half the planet would be fried would it not? As only one side will be facing the sun when the EMP hits?

This brings the east west rivalry to a new level :)

I suppose this type of event would have some collatoral effects. Whoever would get hit by it... oh the suck.

I'm geussing core services, command and control and vunerable industires like Nuclear are already hardened from EMP.

It would still be devestating economically.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I didn't have the patience to read all the prior posts in detail

The point of prepping is to be ready for anything which includes the occasional solar humping of the electrical grid, hence OMG no power.

Yes it can happen, no it is not likely in any timeframe we can predict.

Hence prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

·
9,021 Posts
In 1859 a Coronal Mass Ejection hit the earth in the correct polarity to effect the grid in the way we all fear. Fortunately the only grid at the time was the telegraph system. One operator was electrocuted from a massive surge, lines and poles caught on fire, etc. I has happened, it will happen, the only unknown factor is when.
From what I find, it seems the electrical surges that would destroy the grid would primarily effect the dark side of the earth. The magnetosphere gets stretched out and when it collapses back to normal, the surges are generated.
Appliances that are not plugged into the electrical grid should not be affected by the surges, since they are coming thru the wires of the grid. So if the scientists say something is coming, it might be a good idea to unplug everything you can.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Am not overly concerned about it. If it is as massive as some seem to think it will cause issue but not end the world as we know it. We can over come it's effects and move on.
I more concerned about the scandalous flairs in DC right now.
I can get by without internet I do not use a GPS to find my way home.

·
9,021 Posts
Where it could take 10 to 20 years to rebuild and replace all the transformers fried by a geo-magnetic storm from a solar flare or coronal mass ejection, I think you're right. It'll take a lot longer to fix what's wrong in DC.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
For the record, here's a list from the net of major solar flares that have hit the earth-

Sep 1859- Telegraph wires burst into flames, touching off fires .Telegraph machines scorched paper printouts, stunned operators with electric shocks, transmitted gibberish, and continued working for hours even after being unplugged from the batteries that powered them. The Earth itself was no longer "grounded"!

November 1882- another massive solar flare lit lamps, disrupted telegraph communications, and set off several fires on the Chicago telegraph switchboard, melting instruments.

November 1903- solar storm not only disrupted telegraphs and the transatlantic cable; it even shut down Swiss streetcars.

March 1940- severe solar storm burnt out fuses and damaged hundreds of miles of telegraph and telephone networks.

March 1989- a major solar flare shorted out Quebec's power grid. Circuits also overloaded in Great Britain, New York and Virginia. A critical transformer melted in New Jersey.

November 2003- an "X" solar flare, the strongest of solar storms, temporarily disabled many satellites, killed one satellite completely and and burned out an instrument on a Mars orbiter. The crew of the International Space Station took shelter, reporting elevated radiation readings and "shooting stars" in their own eyes.

September 2005- a string of "X" solar flares caused lesser disruptions to major power grids and knocked out the GPS system completely for ten minutes.

June 2011- a moderate solar flare caused minor satellite disruption, unusual amount of static on phone lines.

·
9,021 Posts
Any time the sun kicks out a coronal mass ejection, there is the possibility of it becoming a geomagnetic storm on earth. It's just like any big thunderstorm can give birth to a tornado. Will the "big one" happen in our life time? Flip a coin! The problem seems to be that the government (you knew they had something to do with it) and the companies operating the grid don't want to spend money on something that might not happen. Unfortunately the pundits think if we get a repeat of the September 1859 geomagnetic storm, we would be pushed back to pre-electric service days. There are only a few companies that build the giant transformers and if a big bunch have to be replaced, it could take decades to do it. Those companies need electricity to operate and it could well be gone for them too. from everything I read, the area affected the worst would be the dark side of the earth.

On the positive side, not every CME (coronal mass ejection) is aimed at earth. We are a very small point in space, but yet we do get hit by them. A CME is polarized and if it hits earth's polarized magnetic flux in the same polarization (positive to positive) it is deflected and will do less damage. If the polarization is positive to negative (just like opposite poles of a magnet attract) the energy will hit us harder and do more damage to the grid.

Besides the damage to the grid, the mass of the solar material can push satellites out of their orbit and the gamma and x-ray radiation can fry out satellites. So as Montana Rancher said,
The point of prepping is to be ready for anything which includes the occasional solar humping of the electrical grid, hence OMG no power. Yes it can happen, no it is not likely in any time frame we can predict. Hence prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts