Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Forgive me for asking (never had a smartphone) but a smartphone is just a hanheld PC with phone capabilities built-in. So why can't you smartphone users just uninstall unwanted applications like you would on a PC?
You can uninstall apps (application, aka programs), but you cannot uninstall the operating system. It is the operating systems that have added tracking capabilities. Following your PC example, you can uninstall a program like Adobe Acrobat, but you cannot uninstall Microsoft Windows.

(Okay, you can uninstall Windows, but for the PC to work, you would have to replace it with another operating system such as Linux and this is not currently an option on the phones.)

·
Registered
86 Posts
You can uninstall apps (application, aka programs), but you cannot uninstall the operating system. It is the operating systems that have added tracking capabilities. Following your PC example, you can uninstall a program like Adobe Acrobat, but you cannot uninstall Microsoft Windows.

(Okay, you can uninstall Windows, but for the PC to work, you would have to replace it with another operating system such as Linux and this is not currently an option on the phones.)
So these are applications that are integrated with the OS such that they cannot be uninstalled? Strange. All more of a reason to stick with the flip phone I guess. Of course, as I understand it, at some point flip phones as old as mine won't work (I hear).

Reactions: Denton

·
Registered
229 Posts
Depending on the phone you get you can install a custom ROM - which is an OS that is not controlled by the provider or the phone manufacturer.

Problem is that quite a few of the phones are locked down to prevent you from doing that.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Depending on the phone you get you can install a custom ROM - which is an OS that is not controlled by the provider or the phone manufacturer.

Problem is that quite a few of the phones are locked down to prevent you from doing that.
Dayum! If ever I am forced to get a smartphone, I've got quite a bit to learn.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Dayum! If ever I am forced to get a smartphone, I've got quite a bit to learn.
So here's a first tidbit - some providers are more locked down then others. Verizon provided phones are the tightest locked down. If you like Verizon for coverage look into independent phones that you can root and use on verizon.

·
Registered
Firearms & Self Defense.
4,353 Posts
Creepy article to read one would give up their rights to be tracked in the name of safety.
I have my location turned off. But on one occasion, I nearly found my address by using a web site.

It came up with the house next door, just by using cell towers, and anything else that pings a phone. I don't use Wi-Fi, or GPS.

That was some pretty good locating IMHO. Maybe they triangulated, I don't know.

Reactions: Denton and Weldman

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I’ve been wondering, what would happen if everyone used the app and reported they had covid?

·
Registered
Staying alive
449 Posts
I heard about a good medicine from this. Has anyone tried smartphones on a full-featured Linux?

Librem 5 - Wikipedia

PinePhone - Wikipedia

DIP switches in PinePhone:

You've really been dredging up some old topics. At least this one was only 4 months old and not 6 years. Kind of glad because I haven't seen most of them yet.

As far as using apps, shutting off locations on your phone, using a flip phone, etc. It doesn't matter. Your on this site which means you have a smartphone or a computer.

Even if you didn't you probably have some type of loan, rent, mortgage, utility bills, smart tv, charge card, debit card, checking account,.....,....,....,....

They know who you are. They know where you live. It gets harder every day to stay off the radar. You would basically have to live completely off the grid on land that is in someone else's name and have no technology or documents in your name. And even that might not be enough........

·
Super Moderator
9,171 Posts
They know who you are. They know where you live. It gets harder every day to stay off the radar. You would basically have to live completely off the grid on land that is in someone else's name and have no technology or documents in your name.
Grizzly Adams comes to mind.

·
Registered
5,951 Posts
This guy was literally off the radar for 27 years.
My cousin owns a cottage on North Pond in Maine where the guy was located.
He burglarized their home many times over the years.
He didn't damage anything and only took things he needed for his survival...except some beer and spirits from time to time.
He was pretty brilliant. I spoke to my cousin just last night and he said he would bring in a couple of empty propane tanks of different companies...exchange the full ones on people's grills and leave the empty ones hooked up with the knobs turned on. When they would come back to camp and get ready to grill something...no gas. The husband always accused the wife and vice versa of leaving the gas on. LOL
Anyway, if you have the will, there are ways.

·
Registered
449 Posts
This guy was literally off the radar for 27 years.
My cousin owns a cottage on North Pond in Maine where the guy was located.
He burglarized their home many times over the years.
He didn't damage anything and only took things he needed for his survival...except some beer and spirits from time to time.
He was pretty brilliant. I spoke to my cousin just last night and he said he would bring in a couple of empty propane tanks of different companies...exchange the full ones on people's grills and leave the empty ones hooked up with the knobs turned on. When they would come back to camp and get ready to grill something...no gas. The husband always accused the wife and vice versa of leaving the gas on. LOL
Anyway, if you have the will, there are ways.

He’s lucky he didn’t operate around my house. He would’ve been killed in short order.

·
Registered
5,951 Posts
He’s lucky he didn’t operate around my house. He would’ve been killed in short order.
Yup, lots of tough guys on North Pond said the same thing for 27 years.
He knew when everyone was home...when they came and went.
Of course being on a lake in mid Maine, it was mostly vacation cottages.

Reactions: Denton and Nick

·
Registered
449 Posts
Yup, lots of tough guys on North Pond said the same thing for 27 years.
He knew when everyone was home...when they came and went.
Of course being on a lake in mid Maine, it was mostly vacation cottages.
A camera ended up catching him. I’ve had cameras since the 80’s. 👍

He would’ve been caught in short order, like I said 👍

·
Registered
5,951 Posts
Lots of people had lots of cameras over the years.

·
Registered
5,951 Posts
Yeah, I heard he was special and could make himself invisible. Crazy huh ?

Like a shift shaper or whatever.
Over 1000 burglaries. I'd say he had his chit together for 27 years.

The documentary.
Lots of youtube videos about him also.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Over 1000 burglaries. I'd say he had his chit together for 27 years.

The documentary.
Lots of youtube videos about him also.

Interesting but ultimately he was caught with a motion detector and a silent alarm. Not exactly high tech. I’ve used them both for years. Silent alarms are used to catch people, audible alarms are meant to make them run......Cameras verify it wasn’t a raccoon.

He broke into cabins and places that were not defended.

It’s a cool story tho. He’s a survivor but mostly just a weirdo thief.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts