Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I read a lot of people's comments both here and other forum and it makes me wonder why bother?
I firmly believe in being prepared for what ever comes in the future but at the same time I don't believe socking up an arsenal of guns and ammo is the key. Not that I wont defend myself and also hunt. I just don't think shooting my neighbor is the answer to solving the mess we are in.
I also don't understand the idea of stocking up on 5 years of food for 100 people, and water for the same. To me this is unrealistic and can be taken away at the will of the government or anyone with more guns than I have.
It also bothers me to see people storing up 10 years worth of top ramen noodles, because I cant help wondering what happens when that supply is gone if you did out live the toxic waste those kind of foods turn us into.
I look around my world and keep asking myself the same question. Why? If we can't try to live like we think we will need to if what ever shit hits the fan NOW, we wont make it then, no matter how much top ramen we have stock piled. Wouldn't it make more sense to change what we are doing wrong now rather that waiting for something to happen?
We as humans have so much knowledge and we choose not to use it. I watched a man grow algae in his back yard and turn it into diesel to run his car. Why cant we all do that? Are we to stupid to grow pond scum?
We may not all have to land or knowledge to grow all of our own food, but why not change what we eat now so we are not so dependent on what comes from the store that was shipped to us from some far off county? Bananas for example...grown far overseas in lands that are being destroyed to produce the bananas you eat, fruit that is picked green before it has a chance to produce the good nutrition it should be providing us, so it can be shipped with out bruising to us in our rich culture that would never eat a bruised piece of fruit.
So the last time I looked at bananas at the store they were 59 cent/lb cheap. but are they really? how much was destroyed, used or abuse to get that banana to the store? I don't even want to guess at how much fuel was spent to fuel the boats, trucks etc. to get it here. Is it worth the little bit of potassium you get? a tomato has more and we can all grow them.
Why is it so hard for us as Americans to live with what we have? why do we have to have so much and cause the waste of so much more? we can't live on the wages we earn. Why? because we throw it all away on stuff we don't really NEED but we have be brainwashed into thinking we do.

Turning into more of a rant and rave....but what I would like to know is what others are doing to change the way they live NOW to prepare for the changes that need to happen in the future....
What do I do? I have a huge garden and small orchard. I have not bought a fruit or veggie in a store in years. If I can not get it from my yard or from a local u-pick, we don't eat it. Yep NO BANANAS HERE. instead I have a never ending supply of strawberries, blue berries, raspberries, blackberries, apples, cherries, plums, grapes and a few peaches and pears all from my yard that supply me every year. Why do I need anything else? Can't eat all that I grow anyway. I grew more than 1,000 lbs of potatoes both the past 2 years.
I also have chickens from which I get all of our eggs, and hatch chicks that will be a chicken dinner in the future. For dairy we have goats. we also have pigs and lots of them cause I find it is necessary to have bacon available at all times. :D
I also have geese that supply eggs and can be a meal with lots of needed fat in lean times. (great barter item)
I try to grow what I know we and the animals can eat, and always save seeds for next year. I'm always trying to replenish what can be used next year not just right now.

So what do you do? are you challenging yourselves to live now like you envision you will need to in the future? I would love some feed back and sharing of ideas.

·
Registered
938 Posts
The point of prepping to me is to survive the things that I know can happen in life. I know that severe storms occur and I lose power, so I buy flashlights, lanterns, headlamps, and a generator. I know roads can ice over and you cannot get to the store, so you need extra food in your pantry. I know drinking water is essential to life, so I store some, and have the ability to collect and distill more.

I know that hungry people don't want to stay hungry, and will come looking for food, and water. Not all of them will ask politely. So I have guns and ammo, not to kill my neighbors (more than likely they will band together with me and mine), but to protect our resources we have gathered.

I prep because disasters occur, natural and manmade, and being without shelter from the elements really sucks. I know I will get injured or sick so I save up medical supplies and medicines in case I cannot get more for a period of time. I buy extra gasoline and other supplies that become scarce when humans panic buy.

When a hurricane is coming, all of my family comes to my house, because they know I have what we need to hold out until conditions return to normal. I like being that guy. It makes me feel I can be counted on in bad times.

I do not have a garden or farm animals. I have canned meats and fruits and foods. Not as fresh but if you are hungry that hardly matters then - I speak from experience on this.

I prep because I do not give up easy. I fight back. I have always been a fighter, and I always will be - it is in my nature. I prep because I like to be ready to face adversity and overcome it, all of it. I am a survivor. And I will be until the day I die. It is what I am in my core being.

I prep because I am expected to be the provider. I have been socialized to perform that role for as long as I can remember. I might've been brainwashed but all I know is I will give everything I have to give so my wife and dog will live. The cat is on his own....

I prep because I believe in being prepared. I don't have years of food in storage; I do not have an underground bunker; I do not study the stars or ancient prophecies of dead civilizations for signs of impending doom; I reject the notion the human species is destined to fail from self-destruction; I don't fear zombies or other races or religions; I do not think the entire world will simultaneously suffer a cataclysm (although I understand it is possible, and has happened in ancient history); and I do not fear an invading army is coming or our own governments are planning to drag us into prison camps for being dissidents or free thinkers.

I just like knowing if the going gets rough, I will be ready.

And I also like knowing if I am wrong about any of the above, I will also be ready.

All I need is a fighting chance. I will take it from there.

The world is going to hell in a hand-basket. And I am done with just taking notes while it happens....

And I know how to win at last man standing.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
The food and other preps are put in place for you and those you love can survive. The guns are there to keep those preps in place and not in the hands of a couple of thugs. The reason I plan to survive is so that I can have a say in what will come after the event is over. I have copies of the constitution and declaration of independence and know what went wrong this time so I can help to plan the next try at a constitutional government that will better serve the individual instead of a given party or a group of businesses.

Reactions: ekim and sargedog

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I prep because I must protect my children. For me, it's just that simple. If things go to hell on a national level, it might take a few years to get back to normal. I figure if I can foresee a time when that might happen, it is my responsibility to do what I can now to make sure my children make it through. If things don't ever get that bad, well, I just hedged against inflation with a little extra food, didn't I?

As for right now, it is also my responsibility to make what he earns stretch farther, so we can, garden, cook from scratch, raise animals, etc. I make as much as I can on my own and learn skills that free me from dependence on "the system" so that we have the funds to pursue the wants in life and give our kids more. We're coming out of an extreme poverty stretch that lasted several years and those skills and traits helped keep us afloat. Now, they're a lifestyle and it just seems frivolous to live any other way.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I prep because I must protect my children. For me, it's just that simple. If things go to hell on a national level, it might take a few years to get back to normal. I figure if I can foresee a time when that might happen, it is my responsibility to do what I can now to make sure my children make it through. If things don't ever get that bad, well, I just hedged against inflation with a little extra food, didn't I?

As for right now, it is also my responsibility to make what he earns stretch farther, so we can, garden, cook from scratch, raise animals, etc. I make as much as I can on my own and learn skills that free me from dependence on "the system" so that we have the funds to pursue the wants in life and give our kids more. We're coming out of an extreme poverty stretch that lasted several years and those skills and traits helped keep us afloat. Now, they're a lifestyle and it just seems frivolous to live any other way.
Indie so far nobody seems to understand what I'm asking. We all have reasons why we prep. the point I was trying to make is that it is all for nothing if you aren't living that way now. You seem to kind of understand where I'm coming from with learning how to garden, can cooking from scratch.

I would just like to understand and learn in what ways others are learning how to change so I can learn from them.
C

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I think the prepper lifestyle sort of takes hold and you start gravitating toward living that way anyway. Things like butchering your own animals, learning to repair items. It really isn't prepping so much as just common sense, but we live in such a throwaway, do it for me society that common sense is now weird.

Some things on my list in the near future are learn how to cook on my woodstove (eventually getting a cook stove, but that's probably a couple years off), go from novice to good at spinning yarn (and then learn to weave with it) and come up with multiple ways to cook and can without power. And of course archery. I love my bow!

I don't really have any knowledge to offer you since I'm probably behind almost everyone here in terms of skills and experience, but it's always a forward moving process at least.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Indie so far nobody seems to understand what I'm asking. We all have reasons why we prep. the point I was trying to make is that it is all for nothing if you aren't living that way now. You seem to kind of understand where I'm coming from with learning how to garden, can cooking from scratch.

I would just like to understand and learn in what ways others are learning how to change so I can learn from them.
C
I think we are all constrained(?) in our own ways. Some of us have small plots of land, or rent, or have an apartment.

Myself, I don't consider myself living the lifestyle. I try to be frugal, and minimalistic.

I get what you're laying down. Why prep and still live a lavish lifestyle.

Myself, I'm trying to be more independent. It's a slow process. I started by cutting down my expenses.

Then it turned into fruit trees. Which turned into gardening. Which turned into rainwater harvesting.

Next I'm looking for a piece of furniture called a Hoosier. Then a foot powered sewing machine.

I plan on soon growing 90% of my food. And raising 50% of my meat (chicken). Other meat I will buy (beef, bacon, etc) only because on my .33 acre, there is not enough room. I'm already crowded with just fruit trees, but I planted them close on purpose, so that I have to prune so that will serve as wood for the smoker (apple, pecan, plum, orange etc)

I am just starting out. I have been here for almost 3 years and am still a beginner. Why? Because 2 of those years, I was clearing the land. Still am. I still have some plants to pull.

But hey. We all start somewhere, and work with we have.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
I know that if the SHTF tomorrow my life would change very little. I might be more suspicious of people close to my property but other than not going to the store each month nothing would change until spring. We would be planting more of everything we have but other than that not much change. We would still eat and sleep, work and play, live and love. we would have to bust our butts in the spring to get as much food in the ground as we could and as always when we harvested we would be busy canning. We have meat that is being canned now and as the seasons go on we are likely to harvest what we can. If the emergency hit then I might be a little less picky about what I harvested but life would go on.

It isn't something that you "switch on" when an event hits, it is a matter of continuing what you are doing now. That isn't living a "prepper" lifestyle it is just the way we live.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
It isn't something that you "switch on" when an event hits, it is a matter of continuing what you are doing now. That isn't living a "prepper" lifestyle it is just the way we live.
Touche! We have a winner for the quote of the day! I kind of think of it as "extreme do-it-yourselfers".

Reactions: PaulS

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I think the prepper lifestyle sort of takes hold and you start gravitating toward living that way anyway. Things like butchering your own animals, learning to repair items. It really isn't prepping so much as just common sense, but we live in such a throwaway, do it for me society that common sense is now weird.
On that note, I broke a shovel. Carved the handle down, and fixed it. It was about 8" shorter, but it was fixed. Then I broke again, and I finally just bought another handle the other day. Cost $11 but the shovel was originally $2X. And the steel is thick. I know I could have boughten a $10 shovel, but the steel is flimsy.

Same with my axe. While clearing my land, I snapped an axe handle. The axe is easily 70-80 years old. The handle obviously has been replaced a time or 2. I just replaced the handle. The axes today seem thin. So it was worth the ~$10 to buy a replacement handle. The cost has easily been returned by the money it saved me. If I had to pay someone to remove the yuccas, I was quoted $1500. Cost me my sweat equity and an axe handle.

I got a DVD/VHS combo player for free. It was going into the trash. Fixed the panel, and I watch DVDs on it.

Got a CD player for my truck for free because a wire had pulled out the back. Some soldering(sp?) and I used it for a year until I got another one that had an input on the front.

Nothing gets thrown away here or given away unless it's useless. And by useless I mean that I have no use for it, or I can't fix it. If its beyond repair, recycle bin. If I have no use for it, I give it away on craigslist. I don't sell, because I have gotten so much for free, I pass it on. If I paid for something, and end up can't use it, yes I sell it. But if its free, and I can't use it, it gets freecycled.

Heck. I've even 4x4d in the fields behind my house and gotten free wood, cinder blocks, bricks, irrigation supplies, etc. Oh. Even got a nice wood fence/gate from those fields.

I actually love that people dump back there. I love the fact that there are wasteful people. I benefit from those people. So to those people, keep being wasteful. I need your "trash"

·
Registered
240 Posts
I come from a long line of "preppers" before they even knew what prepping was, because we were dirt poor and this is what we did to survive. We put out gardens, raised animals, because for the most part we had to depend on ourselves. You know when I was a kid I thought all that hard work was stupid, I would have much rather been playing with my friends, riding bike or playing ball. The thing I didn't realize at the time is it was what brought me the knowledge to become a hard working,upstanding person. If it wasn't for the way I was raised who knows which jail I would have wound up in.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
So I read a lot of people's comments both here and other forum and it makes me wonder why bother?
I firmly believe in being prepared for what ever comes in the future but at the same time I don't believe socking up an arsenal of guns and ammo is the key. Not that I wont defend myself and also hunt. I just don't think shooting my neighbor is the answer to solving the mess we are in.
I also don't understand the idea of stocking up on 5 years of food for 100 people, and water for the same. To me this is unrealistic and can be taken away at the will of the government or anyone with more guns than I have.
It also bothers me to see people storing up 10 years worth of top ramen noodles, because I cant help wondering what happens when that supply is gone if you did out live the toxic waste those kind of foods turn us into.
I look around my world and keep asking myself the same question. Why? If we can't try to live like we think we will need to if what ever shit hits the fan NOW, we wont make it then, no matter how much top ramen we have stock piled. Wouldn't it make more sense to change what we are doing wrong now rather that waiting for something to happen?
We as humans have so much knowledge and we choose not to use it. I watched a man grow algae in his back yard and turn it into diesel to run his car. Why cant we all do that? Are we to stupid to grow pond scum?
We may not all have to land or knowledge to grow all of our own food, but why not change what we eat now so we are not so dependent on what comes from the store that was shipped to us from some far off county? Bananas for example...grown far overseas in lands that are being destroyed to produce the bananas you eat, fruit that is picked green before it has a chance to produce the good nutrition it should be providing us, so it can be shipped with out bruising to us in our rich culture that would never eat a bruised piece of fruit.
So the last time I looked at bananas at the store they were 59 cent/lb cheap. but are they really? how much was destroyed, used or abuse to get that banana to the store? I don't even want to guess at how much fuel was spent to fuel the boats, trucks etc. to get it here. Is it worth the little bit of potassium you get? a tomato has more and we can all grow them.
Why is it so hard for us as Americans to live with what we have? why do we have to have so much and cause the waste of so much more? we can't live on the wages we earn. Why? because we throw it all away on stuff we don't really NEED but we have be brainwashed into thinking we do.

Turning into more of a rant and rave....but what I would like to know is what others are doing to change the way they live NOW to prepare for the changes that need to happen in the future....
What do I do? I have a huge garden and small orchard. I have not bought a fruit or veggie in a store in years. If I can not get it from my yard or from a local u-pick, we don't eat it. Yep NO BANANAS HERE. instead I have a never ending supply of strawberries, blue berries, raspberries, blackberries, apples, cherries, plums, grapes and a few peaches and pears all from my yard that supply me every year. Why do I need anything else? Can't eat all that I grow anyway. I grew more than 1,000 lbs of potatoes both the past 2 years.
I also have chickens from which I get all of our eggs, and hatch chicks that will be a chicken dinner in the future. For dairy we have goats. we also have pigs and lots of them cause I find it is necessary to have bacon available at all times. :D
I also have geese that supply eggs and can be a meal with lots of needed fat in lean times. (great barter item)
I try to grow what I know we and the animals can eat, and always save seeds for next year. I'm always trying to replenish what can be used next year not just right now.

So what do you do? are you challenging yourselves to live now like you envision you will need to in the future? I would love some feed back and sharing of ideas.
I really feel your pain and understand you logic

IMO it isn't about surviving it is about salvation, you must realize that this is a spiritual battle and so my focus is in saving people for Christ and not surviving myself.

Surviving is not worth anything without a purpose and mine is clear, stockpile to lead as many heathens to Christ as possible before I die, I will die, but I believe the fruits of my prepping labor will give everlasting life.

Ephesians 6:12
For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nothing gets thrown away here or given away unless it's useless. And by useless I mean that I have no use for it, or I can't fix it. If its beyond repair, recycle bin. If I have no use for it, I give it away on craigslist. I don't sell, because I have gotten so much for free, I pass it on. If I paid for something, and end up can't use it, yes I sell it. But if its free, and I can't use it, it gets freecycled.

Heck. I've even 4x4d in the fields behind my house and gotten free wood, cinder blocks, bricks, irrigation supplies, etc. Oh. Even got a nice wood fence/gate from those fields.

I actually love that people dump back there. I love the fact that there are wasteful people. I benefit from those people. So to those people, keep being wasteful. I need your "trash"
Kevin I really enjoy reading what you have to say. If it weren't for the kids attached to the hip, I would live like you. I feel like you love the challenge of living cheap and can find joy in knowing you scored when getting the bargains other people pass up or throw away. My kind of challenge.
I love calculating how little I pay for things that others pay so much for. I love even more knowing that by doing a little work for myself and using my brains I can make some thing great out of nothing.
Example.....We eat potatoes practically every day here and I haven't bought a potato (including seed taters) for more than 10 years. All I have to do is put the little ones in the ground and hide them there till fall and then go find them again, along with all the extras. Not much to it. Those are the things that make me happy. learning to live on what I can make myself, or get for practically nothing.

1 - 20 of 140 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.