Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a natural born skeptic, so I should preface my remarks with that. But lately I have been thinking about the what ifs of the speculation that 12/21/12 could be the beginning of the end from a Doomsday perspective.

What got my attention was monitoring the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's web site and the "space weather.com" web site. Originally, NOAA scientists were poo-pooing the notion that the planetary alignments will cause any adverse effects on Earth. They were outright dismissive on the idea. Then, slowly, the tone changed from "not gonna happen" to "well, it is always a good idea to be prepared just in case."

So...that made me a little more pensive on the subject. Wonder if they are seeing things differently for a particular scientific reason, as opposed to a bureaucratic CYA move in case all hell breaks loose.

The possibility of solar flaring leading to a geomagnetic storm seems to be fully anticipated at this point in time, so much so that they are suspending airplane travel over the poles during this projected event, reportedly.

Since the folks here are presumably preppers for a reason, it seems to me that perhaps a serious discussion should ensue about what to expect.

Me personally, I am using it as impetus to reorganize my bug out and bug in gear, to fill mags, to add to the food, water and batteries stash, and to make sure all my preps are current and ready (since they are never really complete if you're a real prepper, right?) in case the Mayans (and others, now even some scientists) are right that the planetary alignment could be a triggering event.

So...I am curious what others are thinking and doing. Are you increasing your prepping activities? Are you gearing up? Or do you think it is a bunch of hooey designed to make people buy things they don't really need so retailers can profit more from selling based on fear?

Please share your thoughts. Thanks!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I also don't think anything will happen. But just in case, I'm going to have my bug out bag next to me and monitoring the news all night just to be safe :)

Reactions: preppermama

·
Registered
146 Posts
I've heard that the Mayan calendar didn't account for our leap years, and that when they predicted, would of been like 9 or so months ago? But heck, who knows. I really wouldn't want anything bad to happen.. Especially since I am a beginner prepper! So I really don't have much saved/stored.. :/ Plus if it were going to be the end of the world, I think we would be a lot worse off right now. I don't think it will happen at once

Reactions: nadja

·
Registered
154 Posts
In a way, I think the Mayans were right. But I dont think it will be the end of the world, but will , and is , the end of an era. The next era will be tough, to say the least. More frequent and more violent natural disasters. "Wars, and rumours of wars", economic calamity, and loss of liberty. Get ready for "all of the above".

·
Registered
146 Posts
In a way, I think the Mayans were right. But I dont think it will be the end of the world, but will , and is , the end of an era. The next era will be tough, to say the least. More frequent and more violent natural disasters. "Wars, and rumours of wars", economic calamity, and loss of liberty. Get ready for "all of the above".
*gulp* :(

·
Registered
13 Posts
Vert, On 12/22/2012, I'm sure we'll be saying "Stellen Sie sich das vor. Ich bin noch lebendig!"

BTW, Wo sind sie gekommen?

(Entschuldigen mir bitte. Mein Deutsch ist etwas rostig..................)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Vert, On 12/22/2012, I'm sure we'll be saying "Stellen Sie sich das vor. Ich bin noch lebendig!"

Ok I took German but haven't had that class in 2 years lol I know most of the words! One sec, I'll figure it out..

My German is also a little rusty haha. Sind Sie Deutscher?

·
Registered
103 Posts
The truth behind the mayans calendar

White Organ Human body Jaw Organism

·
Registered
110 Posts
Ich spreche Deutsch, aber ich bin noch ein Anfänger

I'm in my third month of my beginner level German class

·
Registered
103 Posts

"Imagine that. I'm still alive!" BTW, where did you? (Excuse me please. My German is a bit rusty

I never took German, but I love technology.

Reactions: RaigenB

·
Registered
146 Posts
Ich spreche Deutsch, aber ich bin noch ein Anfänger

I'm in my third month of my beginner level German class
Haha! Cool! I wish I was still taking it but my high school teacher sucked :/ lol she was SUPER annoying haha

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Actually, I am an American, but descended from German ancestors. I don't speak German fluently, but I took it in high school and college, because it was (a) really hard and I wanted the self-discipline and (b) I liked the different perspective it gives you. The Germans have a saying that "the borders of your world are the limits of your language" and that is true. It is similar to American English in many ways. What is cool is how it makes you see the world differently -- for instance, in America we say we go "into" a building -- implying we pass through a vertical surface - the doorway. In German, you say you entered onto the floor of the building - a horizontal surface, and one could say a grander entrance. I just like the way it makes my mind think differently. I can translate really well, but speaking takes practice and no one I know can speak beyond Kinderdeutsch -- children's German.

Anyway, saw a segment on the news tonight calling the 12/21 doomsday talk a hoax, so maybe it will be just another day - I remember the Y2K hysteria. Maybe it is the same thing. We'll see.

I am still using it to gear up again -- it helps me to have a deadline.

A little war trivia for you -- the Dornier company in WWII Germany built a Verteidiger interceptor as a secret weapon -- it was a flying disk that was part of their efforts to stop bombers. They also built a very advanced weapon that was designed to knock out the electronics on bombers -- one of the first attempts at an electromagnetic pulse weapon. All this came too late in the war and most of the plans and blueprints were destroyed -- google Verteidiger if you are curious.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yeah I think this is exactly like Y2K, a whole lot of fuss over nothing. And as far as German goes, I am also much better at translating than speaking.

Reactions: shotlady

·
Super Moderator
9,674 Posts
It's been a decent profit for books and movies, they missed out on y2k.

As near as I can tell with a little research (not really that much), the Mayans merely stated this was the end of an age, the 4th race of man. I have found nowhere that they said it was the end of the world. The date 12/21/12 is actually the winter solstice. I read somewhere a while back that may of the worlds religions, other than Christianity and Judaism, have this date also as a major event.

12/21 is a Friday, wouldn't that suck the world ends just before the weekend???

Personally I will be a little more on my toes but other than watching for wacko's looking to take advantage of this, there is not much else that can be done. If it happens, it happens. Fortunately for me, my wife will be home. She works 35 miles from here on the other side of a major downtown area at an elementary school. Her idea of survival is making it through the week.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
meh i bought into the y2k and was prepared as i could be for a 28yr old chick that had nothing. and i mean nothing, but i was ready to go should it be required of me.
there may be a coupla assclowns that make a mess here and there. il be spending the night in my friends house on the end of town ready full tank of gas, with all my stuff :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
I will be a little more on my toes but other than watching for wacko's looking to take advantage of this
I wouldn't be surprised if Iran or North Korea for example attack Israel or South Korea on that date, because they have brainwashed their people on prophecies and occults and what not so they could use this as an opportunity to further prove to their populous how powerful and knowledgeable they are.

·
Registered
353 Posts
If this is a serious discussion, let’s begin with the approximate facts. The Mayans didn’t actually predict anything. The calendar that all of this is based on is a representation of their tiered and multi-cyclic projection of time. The longest cycle presented by the calendar is presumed to end 12/21/2012. Any assumptions or theories as to what that implies are completely the product of modern imaginations and some marginally scientific or spiritual attempts to connect dots.

The fact that the calendar represents cycles could easily imply that the cycles all go back to zero and the count simply starts over. On the other hand, it could mean that space aliens (who were actually Biblical nephilim ) knew the point in future time when the end times would begin their final countdown and gave the Mayans the method to calculate it; the result being the calendar we’re all familiar with…. Or not.

Either way, I’m keeping my BOB and my tin foil hat handy. :?

1 - 20 of 74 Posts