Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

121 - 128 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
We did get frost last night. Most uncovered stuff gone. Almost lost some covered stuff, double cover tonight.

Broccoli, cabbage, kale , chard, spinach, lettuce, ......all fine
Kale is evil. Let it die!

It got up to 94 here this afternoon (0% humidity) and will be in the mid 40's within an hour or two. In other words, the weather couldn't be better! I just wish all the smoke from the CA fires would stay on its side of the border. We are in far eastern AZ (about 300-400 miles from CA), but depending on the winds, the smoke is still bad some days.

·
Registered
8,213 Posts
Kale is evil. Let it die!

It got up to 94 here this afternoon (0% humidity) and will be in the mid 40's within an hour or two. In other words, the weather couldn't be better! I just wish all the smoke from the CA fires would stay on its side of the border. We are in far eastern AZ (about 300-400 miles from CA), but depending on the winds, the smoke is still bad some days.
Ingredients:

Kale with the stems sliced out close to the leaves, ca. half way up the leaf. The stems chopped into ¼" pieces, the leaves piled on top of each of each other then sliced first into 1" slices perpendicular to the remaining main stem then the slices cut in half. Enough sliced leaves to make a heaping pile on a dinner plate, the stems covered ca. 1/3 of a dinner plate.

Smoked peppered bacon, enough to fill a 10" cast iron skillet.

One cored "little big" apple sliced then cut into ¾ " pieces, skin on.

Balsamic vinegar, ca. 4 tbsp.

One, large thin sliced onion.

Two chopped cloves of garlic.

A dash of Cinnamon .

Prep:

Slow cook the bacon until just fully crisp then set aside to drain over a paper towel. Add the onion and garlic to the remaining fat and cook over low heat covered with occasional stirring. When the onions show sign of being cooked/slightly browned sprinkle the kale stems and vinegar over them and allow them to cook several minutes, covered over a low heat, do not stir them in but allow to steam, then add the apples and stir them in with the kale stems. Sprinkle in a bit of cinnamon and cook a couple minutes, then add the kale leaves over the whole mixture. While still on a low heat, allow the leaves to steam over the mixture, then, stir them in well into the mixture. Turn off the heat and allow the mixture to continue steaming. Serve with the crushed bacon sprinkled over the top to taste. The entrée may have salt added to taste depending on that provided by the bacon.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Kale is nasty by itself, but has too much nutrition not to grow it.......I usually dehydrate then powder it. Add a good sprinkle to recipes.

I've had some salads made with kale, berries, nuts, and usually some kind of vinegarette type dressing, and was good. I think the vinegar cuts the bitterness in some greens.

·
Super Moderator
2,899 Posts
Yep! Looks like were going to get a drenching over the next few days. Out here in Katy I may get 5" to 10", you may get 20"
Wind and some rain. Noticed this morning the NHC has moved the rain from 20" down to 5-10". Steady 20mph this morning. Gusts up to 30mph. Hell, I might go sailing.

·
Super Moderator
2,899 Posts
The wife and I were vacationing in the Adirondacks this last week and Thursday night was 22 degrees. Lots of color in the mountains and typically, all the leaves will be gone by the first week of October at the latest.
Noticed that yesterday set some record lows in the NE. One part of VT hit 25.

·
Registered
8,213 Posts
Noticed that yesterday set some record lows in the NE. One part of VT hit 25.
Earliest frost here in last 10-15 years. But I'm old enough to have seen snow late May and late Sept. I remember a Columbus day snowstorm, ~ 15" wet snow while trees still had leaves. Walk through the woods sounded like gunshots as large trees snapped off.

Something to think about for prepper gardens. Can loose a lot of work early or late.

Check out the dodge dart pg. 13 in Bennington Vt 1987 Oct storm

https://www.weather.gov/media/aly/Past_Events/1987/Frank.pdf

121 - 128 of 128 Posts