Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Self-sustained liveaboard
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been out hiking a lot recently despite weather warnings and whatnot. We've had a few storms roll through and just a constant carpet of fresh snow for a couple weeks. Less people are out of the trails because of this, and while that is what I like, it means the trails are usually still buried when I start out early morning.

I like to consider myself as reasonably fit. I do a lot of backpacking for days on end during the summer. But I had never considered legit winter weather and how that would affect my endurance in the event I had to bug out in a storm. Which is stupid, as a Canadian, I should think of these things since winter is half my year or more. I know I'm prepared for cold weather. But moving through massive amounts of snow hadn't occurred to me. I guess I just shrugged it off as I assumed I would have my car in those cases. But what if I didn't? What if my car got stuck and couldn't make it?

Anyway, after 14km of trail breaking through 8-10 inches of snow, with only a 12L day pack on my back, I was exhausted. I am now reconsidering how far I can get with a 60+L pack in less than ideal conditions.

How do you account for these situations in your plans?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Snow Shoes ! or a horse :)
I would love a horse but I don't think he would enjoy boat life! 😅

Snow shoes might be a good idea. I've never tried them. In my head it's just more weight on my feet but I suppose the idea is to keep me more above the snow line so I'm not dragging myself through it.

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
Good for you for staying fit and good for you in continuing to learn. I have no idea where you live (urban, suburban, rural) and no idea if you have your own house and land or in an apartment. An old snowmobile is not a bad consideration. That would solve a very snowy bugout.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hadn't considered a snowmobile. I'm hesitant to add things with motors as I'm not very knowledgeable with them 😅One of my goals is to change that, starting with some simple maintenance on my car and boat.

Im in an urban area but largely cutoff from the riff raff. On a lake, with single lane road entry cut through some cliffs. A snowmobile would probably fair well skirting the lake as an alternative exit plan in snow and ice. The boat sure wouldnt be going anywhere haha.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts