Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in Australia, I'm extremely restricted on firearm purchases, (I can't find this gun here in any caliber than 9mm)

I'm also only aloud 1 firearm purchase a year...

since there are many gun nuts here.. your thoughts??

oh the other option is a glock, and no thanks (its the most popular firearm in oz, because everyone wants what the police are issued)

I'm definitely going to "try before I buy" but any input will be grateful

·
Registered
686 Posts
I have a M&P22 that I bought to transition my wife from a wheel gun (revolver) to a semi-auto pistol. It is functionally identical to the M&P series of larger calibers. I had intended to purchase a M&P40 for her to carry, but she fell in love with the .22 and has decided to use it as her EDC pistol. It is a really good shooter, have not had any issues with it to date. She doesn't know that there is a suppressor locked away awaiting the ATF's blessing, but I'm sure none of y'all will squeal on me. I have shot both the 9 and 40 m&p's and like them. I don't know how available .40 s&w is in Australia, but 9mm is pretty universal so it would seem like the logical choice. If 40 s&w is readily available I would personally choose that over 9mm. That's my personal opinion, and get ready, 'cause picking a particular caliber here can cause you to be labeled a heretic.

Anyway, there's lots of folks that like the m&p line of pistols. If you can, shoot all the caliber options and see which one you prefer. You're the one that has to like it and that it has to fit. Doesn't mean a hill of beans what I like.

Oh, and down a Fosters for me!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I really like my M&Ps. I hate Glocks due to the grip angle. I don't want to retrain myself for the angle change and it doesn't match my duty weapon's angle.

The M&P is the most ergonomic for me. I have shot Glocks, XPs, 1911s, Berettas, and HKs. I would recommend an HK as well, but they are over twice the money.

Not sure if it is an option for you, but a M&P 40 with a 9mm conversion barrel and mags will give you dual caliber usability.

Try as many types as you can and buy what you like.

·
Registered
16 Posts
We are more fans of the M&P line (as well as the Ruger SR and XP lines), but we prefer the M&P line for our daily carry guns. A couple of ours have in excess of 3,500 and have had zero issues with them. Glock's are great guns, but we are in that pool of people to whom the Glock's angle just does not agree with.

We also second the recommendation made above bySF340 of a .40 S&W and then obtaining a conversion barrel. We use the Storm Lake conversion barrels in ours and the fit is virtually seamless

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Have 3 M&P 9mm's and 2 in 45acp. My favorite is the 9mm Pro Series. If you can only buy one gun a year spend the extra money and step up to the Pro.

I do own a Glock 20 in 10mm. I don't like the grip, controls etc compared to the M&P. They just don't fit my hand and are kind of crude when compared to the M&P, IMO. Only reason I have the Glock is the caliber, 10mm. Once S&W makes an M&P 10mm the Glock will be gone.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Reactions: shotlady

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We are more fans of the M&P line (as well as the Ruger SR and XP lines), but we prefer the M&P line for our daily carry guns. A couple of ours have in excess of 3,500 and have had zero issues with them. Glock's are great guns, but we are in that pool of people to whom the Glock's angle just does not agree with.

We also second the recommendation made above bySF340 of a .40 S&W and then obtaining a conversion barrel. We use the Storm Lake conversion barrels in ours and the fit is virtually seamless
so it's super high quality nice

as I said I'm heavily restricted on calibre (I believe.. don't quote me, but haven't found any semi auto pistols outside 22 or 9mm this is what gets me thinking about restrictions on the semis, but I can get a .357 magnum dirty harry hand cannon, go figure....

this conversion... has me very interested, (hope I can get one... that's a chat with the gun store) as our police are issued with glock 22 in 40 s&w... so as a prepper item (yea my paperwork will say target practice) it ticks all the boxes (military side arms are Browning hi-power 9mm for regs)

(thinking post apocalypse) and it's at the stage, I so need a gun... (the process is long, but.... so worth it when I have one) and yea a one a year item, I want something that's a once in a lifetime purchase

Reactions: shotlady

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
S&W makes some fine Firearms.
Glock made a name for one reason they sold them below cost to LE hopping to build a market . LE can buy any model Glock for 350 even today.
Nothing great about a Glock they work that is about it.
Hand guns are something you just have to find what fits you and your budget . To many options

·
Registered
560 Posts
S&W makes some fine Firearms.
Glock made a name for one reason they sold them below cost to LE hopping to build a market . LE can buy any model Glock for 350 even today.
Nothing great about a Glock they work that is about it.
Hand guns are something you just have to find what fits you and your budget . To many options
I dont care at all for the S&W semi autos, They make great wheel guns...

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I am a proud owner of the M&P 9mm. This is a fine piece of craftsmanship. It is well built, I have NEVER had a jam, or misfire, It is comfortable in the hand, the weight is right, I guess that you could say that for the money, it is near perfect. Our LEO's in South Florida have started to replace their Glocks with the M&P's, which is exactly what Smith and Wesson was hoping to achieve with this weapon.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Im jerking off! I love talking about my m&ps. I have several in every caliber. in full size and compact!!!. make sure you look at the pro series m&p as well! I just sold one of my full size nines to a guy in our group. I sure do love the m&p 9mm! do consider the 40 cal if fs9 isn't handy. I don't think a neater piece has been invented!
what a super gun I enjoy all of them the .22, the full size and the compacts. definitely love proseries! in ca we cant have them here theres a loop hole in the law, and those that want to spend the money can get them. it costs about 500 more than MSRP ($1300.00) but well worth the expense and trouble!!!

if you are in ca- contact an FFL 7. have them do single shot exemption, walk out the door, walk right back in and have it restored. hey guys... I don't make the laws, I just follow them.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Im jerking off! I love talking about my m&ps. I have several in every caliber. in full size and compact!!!. make sure you look at the pro series m&p as well! I just sold one of my full size nines to a guy in our group. I sure do love the m&p 9mm! do consider the 40 cal if fs9 isn't handy. I don't think a neater piece has been invented!
what a super gun I enjoy all of them the .22, the full size and the compacts. definitely love proseries! in ca we cant have them here theres a loop hole in the law, and those that want to spend the money can get them. it costs about 500 more than MSRP ($1300.00) but well worth the expense and trouble!!!

if you are in ca- contact an FFL 7. have them do single shot exemption, walk out the door, walk right back in and have it restored. hey guys... I don't make the laws, I just follow them.
Or just move out of California.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
in Australia, I'm extremely restricted on firearm purchases, (I can't find this gun here in any caliber than 9mm)

I'm also only aloud 1 firearm purchase a year...

since there are many gun nuts here.. your thoughts??

oh the other option is a glock, and no thanks (its the most popular firearm in oz, because everyone wants what the police are issued)

I'm definitely going to "try before I buy" but any input will be grateful
I've never owned a smith, I have several Glocks and they are very reliable and serviceable. IMO buy what your guvment is using, lots of extra parts.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've never owned a smith, I have several Glocks and they are very reliable and serviceable. IMO buy what your guvment is using, lots of extra parts.
yea good advice, but I bet there are differences between a glock 22 in .40 and 9mm both in useable parts and what can be swapped between the 2?? (and glocks are far too popular... got a saying for it, but it's too rude for the ladies here...) and I don't want to be seen as a rentacop or a wannabe cop here.... (don't get me wrong a 2nd or 3rd handgun purchase maybe a glock) but the 1 gun a year weighs very heavy on any decision, as if it fails or is a "pos" i have to wait upto a year for a replacement.... so you can understand why I ask the question... (put yourself in my shoes, a huge f around for a license, 30day wait for approval to purchase, then get the purchase, to find out its a heap of s%#t because you relied on a "sponsored firearm review" when you can ask the question by independent individuals, that will have some bias for others but according to what I have seen call it a QUALITY firearm)...

·
Registered
686 Posts
Pheniox, I've shot both brands and other than the differences in build, they both went bang every time for me. I like the S&W M&P better for one reason. They come with 2 extra backstraps that you can put on to make it fit your hand better...not perfect but better.

The only ding I'll mention for Glock, is that I have read about and know of one personally, Failure to Fire from duty weapons during a tactical entry or other confrontations. I haven't seen anything out there that breaks out the causes of the failures, but I'm sure you could find it on the web, if you're really considering a Glock. It caused the city PD to switch all pistols to the M&P's. Kneejerk reaction. Still not sure that is was not operator error in this case. Oops, did I say that? Sorry

In your situation, I'd try to shoot both that you are considering if possible. At least wraps your paws around them and check and see if you can operate the mag release, slide release, etc. I don't think that you would be wrong with either brand, but would be happier long term with the S&W. Good luck mate!

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I have read that due to a "unique" rifling of Glock barrels, they are unable to fire unjacketed lead bullets. I'm not sure how much that would effect you, but it is one thing to consider. Also, as an American who is very considerate of our domestic manufacturing needs, the M&P's are "made in America".

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.