Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Smart Phones

3K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  Verteidiger 
#1 ·
I've had a smartphone in my possession for several years now, but a few weeks ago I upgraded. (I do a pre-paid plan to keep cost down) Of course it was past time to update, mine was over 2 years old and had some issues going on with it that I was sick of, so I went and purchased a Huawei with a 4" screen (where I could see it)

Love the phone, its got as many features on it as my home computer does if not more, can tie programs together, etc.

So, here's my issue. Someone explain it to me....

As with most phones, it has the GPS (my last one did) and it's even got Google Earth installed on it, with the different maps you can overlay...(Terrain, Roads, Traffic, Satellite, Latitude...) Comes in handy...

I know as long as the GPS is "ON" on the phone and it's in my hand I can track where I'm going, where I've been etc. Can someone else track me as well?

I figure if the SHTF, and I wanted to use my phone for maps, marking spots etc, that I would actually be safer with a paper copy and a compass....

See less See more
#2 ·
Your cell phone does not need to have the GPS enabled to be able to track you. Just using triangulation with three cell towers and simple trigonometry you can be tracked within 20 feet just on your 3G signal - closer with 4G or GPS.

If security is a concern, your best bet is to leave the cell phone at home.

#3 · (Edited)
Yeah what he said. I am sure the Taliban/Insurgents could probably give a few tips on what to not do with a cell phone too...at least the smart ones. Just saying...

I know if I ever have to "bail" mine is getting left behind. With all of the information service providers are keeping and storing on you in order to "better serve you" for marketing purposes of course..., I dont even take it to places unless I want company.

#4 ·
Actually the best move is to use only a land line - like me! :)

I drive a non-computerized car, don't use GPS - I know how to read a map, and I can't use a bank machine with my credit card because I never got a PIN for it. I can use it at stores but I rarely do.

I am probably on more lists than "normal folks" because I write to my congress people OFTEN. Some of them know me on a first name basis and I am sure some wish I didn't exist. I am not shy about the constitutional protections and I often call the local (and not-so-local) papers on calling the USA a democracy by reminding them of the difference between a democracy and the republic under which we live.
It is called being VOCAL. I am usually well behaved and elloquent in my writings but sometimes I use specific wording to get my point across when needed.

#5 ·
I know everyone's different, and these smart phones are really hand held portable computers. They do amazing things. But for me and my wife, we'll stick with our track phones. It's there in an emergency, we have a phone, and we can find each other when at big box mart, after going our own ways, which is all we use them for anyway.

#6 ·
I actually didn't read this article

Cell Phone Listening - How To Secretly Listen To Calls On Any Cell Phone

but not only can they track you with ANY cell phone (doesn't have to be smart) if you have a smart phone they can hear what you are saying even when not making a call.

It is freeky shit, so I don't turn my cell phone on until I need it and then only to check messages and make calls.

All my friends and family know to call me on the land line as my cell is never on. When my contract expires I am trashing it.

#7 ·
Wow...some of this I didn't know or hadn't thought about it....and a few things I'd forgotten.

They are just that, a computer in your hand. If the time comes, I figure it'll get ditched.

What made me think of this was the Google Earth Ap on the phone, I know it's every few years that it gets updated, but I pulled it up the other day just browsing through things and on the Satellite image, "poof" there sits my house just as pretty as you please. I haven't had the patience to sit there and let it clear up as I zoom in yet. I can tell how old the map is by what vehicles are in the yard.

I'd used Google Earth years ago, and knew what all I could see on it....but it just hit me different when I found it on my phone and that lil blue beacon flashing as my location.

#20 ·
Hence the reason I posted the following...

I am sure the Taliban/Insurgents could probably give a few tips on what to not do with a cell phone too...at least the smart ones.
Some of the technology that we use for weapon systems and targeting was pretty amazing just 5 years ago when I retired with a lot of stuff in the final phase of development. I can only imagine what is now a reality out there that can be used against you.

#9 ·
1) It has been "suggested" that your carrier ( pre paid even ) can reocord your movements with a smart phone and could in fact sale that data to anyone who might buy it. Think about this in the future when a restaurant chain wants to market to those who happen by their stores - you end up on a list - get mail / email / spam/ banner ads, etc

2) A lot of conspiracy theorist not the data center being built in Utah which will replace the Pentagon as one of the largest office facilities in the world is just for data storage - imagine that - if true a building bigger than the pentagon just to store data. The first stories of this were to store satellite images (large in size) but suggestions of them storing browser histories, emails, and all electronic transfers via the Internet / smart phone are considered feasible.

3) Its just TV, but recently a TV show, I think it was Criminal Minds, asked an automaker for the travel history of a car with a Navstar like system. They asked nicely and an arrest was made; and generally speaking this stuff isn't made up out of thin air - someone believes that to be possibel for the car companies.

Now here is why I don't worry; one I don't say anything to cause concern, two I think the amount of chatter is our best defense (yeah go ahead IRS sort through all this), and post "SHTF" who's going to be listening - they'll be too busy trying to feed their families too.

#10 ·
Your are right Ripon...

I don't think a lot of the things we see on TV are just made up out of thin air...(like you mentioned)

I don't say anything I can't repeat to someone else over the phone...

And...gotta remember, that's how the Diana sex scandal started, was satellites picked up her phone conversations...

And...I just pulled up the Google Earth Map to see how old it is, and it's within two years old. My Dark Red Titan is sitting in my front yard, bought it in August of 2011.

#11 ·
Just turning off your cellphone won't work at keeping someone from tracking you or listening to your cell phone. Cell providers in conjuction with law enforcement can TURN ON your phone even if you have turned it off. The one and ONLY way of keeping someone from tracking your phone is to physically REMOVE THE BATTERY. This capability has been around for at least 8 years.

#12 ·
I know a lot of you guys are seriously paranoid, but let me remind you that you are talking on an Internet forum through electronically-transmitted data streams. You are already being tracked.

Land lines are not safe either and are actually easier to tap than cell phones as and there is no way for you to know. They can do it at a remote location.

Further, you cannot move in society without being recorded on a camera or tracked in some other way.

So, if you are all truly worried about this stuff, bug out and drop out of life. Otherwise, what's the worry?

#13 ·
If the shtf, the cell phone will be destroyed. I am attached to my cell currently, but if things get to the point that I need to abandon my home, I'll have no qualms leaving the cell behind.

#14 ·
If you routinely travel to your BOL then it will be in the history of your movements. It just adds to the list of information they have.
I am not concerned about being on their lists because just about everyone who has a conscience is on them.
I don't have anyway for them to track my movements other than to my favorite gas station and stores that I use infrequently.
I am not interested in any overthrow of the constitutionally authorized government of this country (woops! I just used 3 words that are on the list) [smile guys, I know you are reading it] and I am a perfectly happy American.

#15 · (Edited)
What can be done with cellphones is pretty amazing, but I doubt when SHTF they will be useful. Depending on your scenario, they may not work or the satellites needed for GPS may be shut down. I doubt that Tech SGT, GS, SA, or PO2 sitting behind that computer cares where you BOL is , unless you are breaking some law.

#16 ·
You're right, they probably don't care but the fact that they have access to that kind of personal data is just.... wrong!

#19 ·
Well, it's not paranoia that has set in. At this moment in time I could careless who knows where I am at.

Until I started prepping, the thoughts of being tracked haven't ever worried me, and/or I haven't put much thought into it until the other night when I opened up Google Earth. Call it having a prepper mind now...LOL But until I started prepping and reading in this forum about BOL, BOV's and BOB's...I had never thought about things like I do so now. I don't enter an area either hunting or working or just enjoying the day out and about that at some moment I don't make a mental note of water sources, shelter available, hidability (just made a new word) and security (if any) Guess you could say I'm scoping out the area for possibilities if ever the case to have to bug out. I know this area like the back of my hand, but in the last few months I know it even better. Before when I looked at certain areas for what they were, not what they could be or bring to the table in a life or death situation.

I don't think it makes me paranoid, just smarter...

#22 ·
I like having a smartphone. It is nice to have the Internet in the palm of your hands. I can access e-mail, make/take calls, make waiting times more tolerable (great in airports or at the DMV).

I do not like that it tracks your movements, not because I am doing anything wrong, it is just sorta creepy....

I live my life very visibly so scrutiny is not a concern, but I still find it intrusive.

I have cars with satellite navigation, OnStar, OBD II (on board diagnostics) which can track your car usage - your highest speed attained, for instance or whether you applied your brakes before you crashed.... So technology has gotten better at finding people, but it can also unlock your car if you locked the keys inside, or shut your car down after leading the police to find it first if it gets stolen, so it is not all bad.

I honestly don't worry about it much; but it is annoying.

However, if someone ever knocks me out and stuffs me in a car trunk, it could come on handy.

I like having a phone on me. Traveling without one sucks, and very handy if your car breaks down....

And it takes decent pictures and some very funny videos of my dog....

And I like the compass and calculator functions, and making notes so I know what I need to buy on my next trip to the store....

Plus, it lets me chat with you fine folks, so I live with being trackable.

Besides, I know more about how to shake a tail faster than a wet duck does....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.