Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, just came into some much needed cash got some prepping items and updated laptop (new ones are wicked and cheap) and now one of my big things I want to do is get a camper. I can find a decent one in good shape about 4 grand or so, already found some in the area. What I'm hoping for is something to compliment the FJ that will allow me to go living in it part time. I am thinking a travel trailer, maybe 16-19 feet possibly a hybrid although I worry about the fabric. On the other hand I can spend around 2 grand and get a really deluxe tent that replaces the roofrack on the FJ. I am aware of tent living so there is a changing room / canopy thing that's optional where I could set up a solar shower or something like it. Then again having like a 17 foot apartment on wheels really excites me as a prepper because hell I could go wherever and be home. The ones I'm looking at I want to make sure are small enough to get somewhere if we have to. Then on the other hand I don't want to have to mess with it if something goes wrong with it IE the water tanks get some nasties in them, maybe a wiring problem ect.

So here's my question guys, and I could use your help on this. We got a lot of like minded folks here, a lot of them with much more experience than myself, so-

Thoughts? Am I just stupid, looking in the wrong place what? You have any tips or experience with travel trailers? Thoughts on rooftop canvas tents?

·
Senior Member R.I.P.
2,886 Posts
A small travel trailer means you aren't sleeping on the ground. All you need is some 12VDC lighting in it. Small ones have a 2-3 burner LP stove but no oven. I would be one with a simple porta potti in it. Some of the small ones have a small sink with 10gal fresh water tank just for washing your hands which is nice.
And you are probably looking at the right size.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Can you live in a camper trailer and be prepared for, tornadoes, earthquakes, floods, hurricanes, fuel shortages, lay-off and the SHTF events?
Can you grow your own food? Have access to water wherever you are? Store a years worth of food?

You need to decide what you want and what you need and then decide which is more important - your wants or needs?

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A small travel trailer means you aren't sleeping on the ground. All you need is some 12VDC lighting in it. Small ones have a 2-3 burner LP stove but no oven. I would be one with a simple porta potti in it. Some of the small ones have a small sink with 10gal fresh water tank just for washing your hands which is nice.
And you are probably looking at the right size.
The one I am eying is a starcraft 17 foot hybrid. It's 2200lbs, single axle with brakes, has two queens that fold out like tents, a dinette, oven, two burners, fridge and outside shower with outside grill attachment, battery hot water heater, charger built in, twin propane tanks and I have a 1800 watt solar generator to use with it. The guy converted it all to LED lights. It's 17 feet closed. It even has a little television and my neighbor says he can get a new sanyo HE air conditioner that uses like half the power of the normal one. It has an awning too, what you think? They don't usually have those options and it looks to be in pretty good shape. four grand

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can you live in a camper trailer and be prepared for, tornadoes, earthquakes, floods, hurricanes, fuel shortages, lay-off and the SHTF events?
Can you grow your own food? Have access to water wherever you are? Store a years worth of food?

You need to decide what you want and what you need and then decide which is more important - your wants or needs?
You make a good point. I CAN grow food and raise stock, I do it now but that's what's holding me up basically. My setup is very light because of my area, it's made to get up and go. I carry about three months of food and all my stuff is built to bug out due to my nutty area. I got friends who are more serious farmers and a little better off in my group. If nothing I can abandon position here and go to his house with the camper, that would be ideal over a tent. I keep all my preps ready in a section of the house and I dare say they would fit right into the camper without being obtrusive. If I have to bug out (which I will, I live amid 60,000 SHEEPLE) I NEED some means of shelter and damn if I feel like building one. I keep a BOV plan, a BOV gone over with a fine toothed comb and extra gas for it. I can also drop a special rope and rod into gas station tanks and pull it out a gallon at a time, looking into getting a kit that lets me run the FJ off propane tanks. I figure since I can't seem to find good land and have some cash on hand, a backup to my home would be a very nice thing to have. Plus I am thinking of renting the upper levels out and retaining the studio just so I can handle not cleaning the place on my bad legs, it kills me and this place has too many staircases. I could use the added income and it's a really nice place so part timing it for awhile could land me some good preps. You're right though, I'm old enough for my wants not to hurt me. What you think?

·
Mod Squad
2,260 Posts
I would go with the pull behind camper over a roof mounted tent. That way, you could always drop the camper and still use the vehicle without needing to pack everything up. The camper would also hold more supplies and have more capabilities.

·
Senior Member R.I.P.
2,886 Posts
The front & rear pop outs I think are a weak point to be avoided. A twig out of a tree is enough to puncture atleast the bug screening & with alittle wind behind the twig the roof material. Just something to think about.

Rather then a 16 or 17ft with the pop outs a solid 21ft would be more secure.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
The roof top option is canvas and netting, as are the pop outs on the pull behind, so the only advantage I see to the foortop tent is cost. I would go with the pull behind but I would also offer that expanding your search area for an 18-21 ft regular trave trailer is worth the effort and time.

We have a 32 ft motorhome that we are considering selling or trading for a pull behind and getting the appropriate tow vehicle because we feel it is much more versatile. We will likely look for a self contained bunkhouse model for the extra room for storage or "guests".

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I know absolutely zilch about trailers, campers, motorhomes and stuff but here are a few general screenshots and my inane comments-

The weak spot with trailers is that they have to be towed by a vehicle, great on good surfaces but could be a problem going off-road-

But once on site, they blend into the terrain nicely when you've hid the towing vehicle in a barn somewhere and painted the trailer green-

Or throw a couple of camo nets over it -

Smallish campers are an alternative-

But if they're bigger, off-road mobility might be a problemo-

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
I really like the pop-trailers, especially with a reinforced frame and off-road tires. What you loose in protection, you make up for in speed and mobility.

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
I'd pick up a Ford Excursion 4X4, diesel if you can find one.. You can sleep in the back easily and still store a ton of stuff inside. Throw a roof rack or trailer hitch rack on for a little extra capacity if needed. I've never like the idea of hauling a trailer around, specially in a SHTF situation. Just one more thing to go wrong, break down, slow you down and draw attention to you.

If the plan is to go to a friends farm, then get the camper over there now and get it stocked up and ready. If that's your plan why wait and have to haul stuff around when it's ugly.

I'd get the EX pack it and leave it parked ready to go. So you can hop in and get, when and if you have to.

·
Registered
921 Posts
The trailer is better from a weather protection point than a rooftop tent. That being said, you can go more places off-road without the trailer.
Something in the 18-21' range is probably what you can tow best. If you swap the axles under the springs, (something rather commonly done), you will gain a bit of ground clearance. Something to think about. As a rule RV type trailers are not very strong for off-road use. They are built to go down the road. There are some made for off-road, but you pay for the extra strength.
Our current setup is a Ram diesel 4X4 and a 25' travel trailer. If it comes down to it, we can dump the trailer and keep going solo. Plenty of room in the truck for supplies.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts