Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you all use for sleeping bag, shelters, sleeping pads, etc in your BOBs? I'm trying to figure out the best way to go while keeping it light weight.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I'm too old for sleeping on the ground... Sleeping bag on a military cot & pad is a minimum. Not worried about the weight, I'll just make my wife carry it. ;^) Kidding on the wife part.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I use a Golite poncho/tarp for tarp cover attached between either bushes or trees same as I've always done since the infantry. And a usgi poncho liner (woobie) as a blanket and a Recon 3 sleeping bag for the real cold nights. If the ground is hard I cover it with a good layer of natural bedding, depending on what's around. (palm, leaves, dirt, pine branches, etc) I tried carrying a tent, but it's not worth the weight to me and you're zipped up in it closed off from your surroundings. That fine in safe times, but shtf won't be safe times and you want to be able to react fast if someone tries to sneak up onto you and hear your surroundings. The worst environmental annoyance for me is bugs and I need a new bug head net right now.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Inflatable air mattresses (heavy duty nylon-covered rubber backpacking type) and Wentzel sleeping bag (open top, zippered). Comfortable, warm, and keeps you off the cold, hard ground.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
A Therm-a-Rest self inflating mattresses and a down filled sleeping bag. Down is still the the lightest and compacts the best better than any of the man made fills and since most have an outer nylon shell the ideal of them not working when wet is a non-issue.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been toying with the idea of a bivy sack/hammock combo plus a 15 degree bag, but I'm worried I won't find good places to tie up. My primary bug out route has a few good spots with plenty of trees and such, but I don't want to depend on that way being clear. Have you tried your stuff out, like carrying it and sleeping with it (or getting your wife to carry it)?

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I don't have a sleeping bag, just clothing that varies by the time of year, a half ground pad (the old 1/2" army issue foam) a quality space blanket and camo poncho.
I plan to travel at night and hole up during daylight, it won't be as comfy as having a sleeping bag, but I don't really want to sleep hard if I'm traveling alone anyway.

Reactions: Prepadoodle

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I'm too old for sleeping on the ground... Sleeping bag on a military cot & pad is a minimum. Not worried about the weight, I'll just make my wife carry it. ;^) Kidding on the wife part.
Same here on the age and ground. I have an inflatable mattress that is made of two sides. I can sleep on one, or lay the other one next to it and zip them together for a queen size mattress. If its cold, I put them on top of each other and still have a single width but I get up higher. It is bulky and heavy but it reduces the amount of spousal dis-harmony at night. I'd like to get some foam roll outs too for fast bug out.

I've hammocked before but good luck tying that to a cactus around here.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Reactions: Montana Rancher

·
Registered
190 Posts
After a many a years the Infantry tought me one think. No matter how cold, wet muddy it is. When you can't go another step and you need sleep. You will sleep any place with anything to keep you warm. With that said I use only my woobie blanket from spring to fall. Works awesoem and ultra light.

Amazon.com: Bushbuddy: Sports & Outdoors

Reactions: Megib and Fuzzee

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have used sleeping bags and pads in the past but have recently tried hammock sleeping. For me it is much more comfortable than sleeping on the ground. Have recently tried an insulated hammock and so far, I am impressed. Found it here: http://www.camping-hammock.us.

With a silnylon rain fly, one can easily setup your sleep system and stay dry in a couple of minutes.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I have a Big Agnes Flycreek I tent, Western Mountaineering Highlite down bag and a Neoair Xlite inflatable sleeping pad. Together it weighs 3 1/2 lbs. It will keep me comfortable to freezing and alive to zero.

·
Registered
210 Posts
There was a time I could sleep anywhere. Often in a chair in the CP with my feet on a field desk. I've slept in the passenger seat of a Hummer. However, as I got older I began to see the value in the US Army folding cot. It's worth every pound. If I have to be traveling, a good night's sleep will be very important to the next day's trek. I will of course, try to find locations that I can safely bunk down rather than sleeping in woods. Empty house, barn, office building, etc. My Get Home Plans (GHP) are different depending on which office I am at when the SHTF. If I'm Bugging Out and can't use a vehicle I could have one 11-year-old daughter and possibly even her 5-year-old sister (not my child but I borrow her often) to contend with. We'll fit on a cot, the little one stacks.

·
Banned
148 Posts
One of my BO vehicles has a custom made memory foam bed (hippie van). Some of my best night’s sleep has been in this bed. This will be what we will be using at our BO location. We also will be carrying other tents and sleeping equipment in the other vehicles. We have everything to survive at our BO location boxed in containers numbered and inventoried. We practice bugging out every time we go camping and we are adding and subtracting items as needed (this will always be a work in progress). It only takes me about 5 minutes to load the boxes. If everything go’s correctly it will only take a few hours to get to our BO location.

If I’m forced to be foot I have a small 2 man tent in my BO bag and my wife has an 8x10 tarp in hers. We both have Recon 4 Sleeping Bags.

·
9,020 Posts
2 sets of sleeping bags, one set for warm weather and one set for cold on air mattresses. 6 aluminized Mylar space blankets to help if really cold or... 2 cheap camo polyolefin tarps and paracord for cover and ground cloth. I have 2 BOB, one for car, one for walking out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts