Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
P1010801.JPG P1010802.JPG

Even camping in the snow, as long as you have two suitable trees, you'll be comfortable.

Having spent a few nights elevated, I've learned a few things. Keep your gun and your boots directly below where your feet dangle when you sit up.

Bring a pee bottle-like a wide-mouth Gatorade-because getting up at 0130 sucks!

If you don't have a pad underneath your sleeping bag, it's much colder (the bag compresses, leaving you little insulation).

A tarp, folded in thirds, with a sheet bend on the end also works.

Anyone else sleep in a hammock?

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Did a few winter survival camps . Stayed on the ground hammock we would have frozen , But in fair weather they are great.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I use nylon-covered rubber inflatable mattresses used for mountain climbing for sleeping on when I am camping. They can be blown up with your mouth in an emergency, but I use a dual-action hand pump (compresses air on the push and pull strokes so you can inflate something twice as fast). They lay completely flat when deflated, and fit in a back pack. They also can be used to float your gear across rivers, or to haul meat back to camp the same way, then wash right off. You can use them for recreational use (floating downstream, fishing [watch your hooks!], and for sunbathing). You need to buy the heavy duty mattresses, but they are really comfortable to sleep on all night, and keep you cushioned and elevated off the rocks and sand, etc.

Hammocks are nice for daytime napping and relaxing, but sleeping in the open exposed to insects and nocturnal campsite-sniffing critters is not my idea of getting a peaceful night's sleep.

·
Registered
219 Posts
In winter 1987 in Europe we saw wind chills to -70....Tracks froze to the ground so nobody moved for a week....lay down on ground anywhere ...in intermediate sleeping bag...good to 20 degrees....cover with poncho liner and poncho..then Shelter Half....keep snow cleared from a breathing hole by sticking hand up through every hour or two. We lost 228 out of 756 to frostbite in our Artillery Battalion. No fires allowed....No heaters in trucks or tracks. 17 officers got busted out of service for spending the week in a guesthouse in a town nearby and using Enlisted mens Health and Morale fund to pay for it...they left us there to freeze. They never mentioned they weren't with us in daily reports to top brass....said we were doing fantastic!...Commended us!

Acceptable !

We weren't in an arctic area so we didn't get issued arctic sleeping bags and clothing!

Lost two toes and tip of my nose

Officers....Worthless chunks of shit!

SSGT

·
Registered
45 Posts
im realy interesten in the clarks brand 4 season hammock, the down side is its around $350 to much for a one time go gotta save up

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
View attachment 1457 View attachment 1458

Even camping in the snow, as long as you have two suitable trees, you'll be comfortable.

Having spent a few nights elevated, I've learned a few things. Keep your gun and your boots directly below where your feet dangle when you sit up.

Bring a pee bottle-like a wide-mouth Gatorade-because getting up at 0130 sucks!

If you don't have a pad underneath your sleeping bag, it's much colder (the bag compresses, leaving you little insulation).

A tarp, folded in thirds, with a sheet bend on the end also works.

Anyone else sleep in a hammock?
Cool idea, I've never used a hammock but since my last years trip sleeping on the ground near the continental divide it probably would be more comfortable than the tree root under my hip.

Putting your hammock up on a north facing obviously dense forest should take away any problems with wind chill, I'll give it a try this year and let you know, thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
I have never camped in -70, but I have camped in -20F. I always found that just packing a good layer of snow on the tent helps immeasurably. It may be -20 outside, but inside it is usually +25 or better. Sleeping in hammock in really cold weather would concern me because the insulation on the bottom of sleeping bag would still get compressed and you would have no protection from wind. But I could be wrong. As I said, I have only ever done winter camping with a tent.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
If I was going to camp in a hammock during the winter I would put a tarp in the bottom far a wind break,a pad in next and then the sleeping bag with a quilt inside of it probably.. We have a few quilts that are rated to 0 deg and they weigh about 2lbs so very easy to pack..Check out..RevelationX Archives | enLIGHTened equipmentenLIGHTened equipment

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
Why in hell would anyone voluntarily go camping in sub zero temps?
Well, 'cause if ya wanna go camping and it happens to be the 6 mos per year when it's a bit chilly... :-D

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Well, 'cause if ya wanna go camping and it happens to be the 6 mos per year when it's a bit chilly... :-D
Oh hell no, lol. Amongst the medals, ribbons, and accomadations I earned in a previous life is an Artic Service momento. My Nanook of the North suited ass has trudged aroud up there far more than I would like, including standing on, as near as can possibly be measured, the North Pole.

What did I learn? A Texas boy don't belong there:idea:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts