Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought one of those combination spring cover and scope packages for my SKS. Makes the gun look cool and does work, but I've discovered that when you clean the gun, you have to remove the spring cover to which the scope is attached, messing up your zero.

I'm thinking of going back to iron sights - what do you guys think?

·
Registered
640 Posts
I use the SKS as a defensive weapon, not a hunting or sniper weapon... so I use iron sights. I guess it depends on what you are using it for.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yep, sounds like a good idea to me.

My personal opinion: SKSs are great rifles, especially for the money. But...they are what they are. That is, they are not sniper rifles, they are moderately accurate semi-auto rifles, perfectly capable of hitting man-sized targets out to 300 yards or so, with their issue iron sights. Also, they should be left with their issue 10 round fixed magazines (or possibly the Chinese 20 round fixed mags), and not modified to use those "detachable" 30 round mags, at which point they usually become unreliable, and difficult to reload. Just get 10 round stripper clips, and they reload perfectly fine, and relatively quickly.

So what I'm saying is...if you get an SKS, great! Now, just get some stripper clips and ammo, and use it as it is. If you must have a higher capacity, get an AK! If you must use optics, get a bolt rifle, or an AR or something better suited to optics.

Tim

·
Administrator
15,414 Posts
I was given a Norinco SKS that had a synthetic folding stock, and those crappy duck bill 30 round magazines. Luckily all the original parts came with it including bayonet and sling. So now it has been restored to original condition, which is the way military rifles should be.
I prefer my milsurps, and clones, to remain the way they were designed.
Maybe it's a function of my age, but another thing I consider sacreligious is a scope on a Winchester Model 94.
And don't get me started on what some people do to the most perfect handgun of all time - the Colt Government Model 45 Caliber Automatic Pistol.

Reactions: survival

·
Registered
3 Posts
I can add that if you spend any time out West on Native American reservations those guys love SKS rifles and spit on AK's and AR's for being too bad a shot and too much work in the dust and dirt. It was really an eye opener. I think every other house had one or more of them.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Note to self... stay away from Native American reservations out west!

Reactions: Irish

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well makes sense they are good in the dust like an AK and they most are a lot more accurate then an Ak. I have a Russian one. I also had two Yugo ones. The Russian made one never had a problem. The Yugo ones I had both had firing pin problems. I found steel replacement firing pins then they were very reliable.

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
I put a scope on my sks and took it off ater using it one time. Trouble is you can find a scope that keeps zero on there, just takes a little know how, but the scope will pop you in the eye or very close to hit you every time. Brett shot it and was like I dont know about that scope. It will only take a mini scope or one you can arrange for the rings to mount it really far forward, which I wasnt able to find. Wish I bought a mini scope

·
Registered
154 Posts
I like the BSA 40mm Red Dot. No magnification, but fairly accurate to 80+ yds. If you want nail driving accuracy beyond that, go to a good bolt action gun like a .270 Win. I have killed bucks up to 440 yds. with mine. The SKS is for closer conflicts. As others have stated, it is not a sniper rifle. Its for throwing lots of lead and running tree to tree, building to building.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts